• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Tooltip Global Text Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Okay, so recently I hit an issue that I hope isn't as bad as it is, because it could be a showstopper. Here's the tooltip of an item, in-shop.

XIr0Fz4.png

Perfectly dandy, right? Maybe personal preference would prefer a little less wordy, but it's definitely a completely tooltip.

But what happens when you actually complete the item?

sD6o5Pi.png

That's ... definitely not right.

But the thing is? I've checked time and time again in the editor, and the entire tooltip's there, but for whatever reason it's getting cut-off in game.

The same thing happens with the actual recipe - it seems like only the the shop tooltip is getting out unharmed, despite being the same length as the recipe tooltip and longer than the item tooltip.

I've got 184 items ( some clones of each other, for the shop-recipe thing and disabled variants to stop item pooling ), all with similar tooltips - simpler ones for simpler items, of course, but still. Plus, the tooltips for the heroes and the abilities are similarly detailed. So, have I managed to run into a global text limit in WC3? I really hope not, but I can't figure out what else could be the issue here; the tooltips are fine in-editor, just in actual gameplay do they become like this. And that's a pretty big issue, considering that's where players need to be able to know what stuff does and how it all works.

Level 12
So, have I managed to run into a global text limit in WC3?
Yes it seems to. According to my test ~443 characters are possible in the item description. So try to use not a lot of spaces for a new line but |n instead. Maybe you have to shorten it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.