• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Master Medivh

So, here goes. A model meant for the Hero Contest, not anymore.
This model took me some time to make. I had some problems with the animations but I am satisfied how it turned out. Has built in portrait animations.
Give credits if you use it and enjoy. :)
Contents

Master Medivh (Model)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I... Um. Why exactly did you give up on this for the Hero Contest?? It's amazing.

And I mean, yeah it was patterned after & even looks like Medivh... But a simple face-mesh-change could solve that. Like, if it was even necessary! He's plenty generic enough for a cool, wizened old mage-dude.

Same with the crow-cloak. Yeah, that's Medivh's thing, but it can be explained away relatively easily; some kind of Druid-type deal, animal NO, avian-whisperer, crow-totem human who studied under Night elves & so eschews his former ties to the Alliance and became Neutral (i.e. Tavern fodder)

Actually, yeah, that's not bad; have him be a sort of "Mage-Druid" multi-class mix, with some Arcane abilities giving way to an overall Druidic-bent. Feather-themed might be another thing to go with, or "avian channeler" (like one of these guys, courtesy Unsounded).

It's not too late, man. If you were working on this only since the Contest started, just, like, take it down & keep going. Either way I'm sure you'll do great things but man, this is pretty neat.

Level 50
I... Um. Why exactly did you give up on this for the Hero Contest?? It's amazing.

And I mean, yeah it was patterned after & even looks like Medivh... But a simple face-mesh-change could solve that. Like, if it was even necessary! He's plenty generic enough for a cool, wizened old mage-dude.

Same with the crow-cloak. Yeah, that's Medivh's thing, but it can be explained away relatively easily; some kind of Druid-type deal, animal NO, avian-whisperer, crow-totem human who studied under Night elves & so eschews his former ties to the Alliance and became Neutral (i.e. Tavern fodder)

Actually, yeah, that's not bad; have him be a sort of "Mage-Druid" multi-class mix, with some Arcane abilities giving way to an overall Druidic-bent. Feather-themed might be another thing to go with, or "avian channeler" (like one of these guys, courtesy Unsounded).

It's not too late, man. If you were working on this only since the Contest started, just, like, take it down & keep going. Either way I'm sure you'll do great things but man, this is pretty neat.
WELL IT WAS STARTED WHEN I SAW THE CONTEST AND WANTED TO PARTICIPATE. I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T SEE HIM AS A TAWERN HERO. CAN I CHOOSE THIS MODEL FOR THE CONTEST THEN IF MY PARTNER CHOOSE IT? I WILL ASK RHEIKO'S OPINION, HE WILL DECIDE.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
WELL IT WAS STARTED WHEN I SAW THE CONTEST AND WANTED TO PARTICIPATE. I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T SEE HIM AS A TAWERN HERO. CAN I CHOOSE THIS MODEL FOR THE CONTEST THEN IF MY PARTNER CHOOSE IT? I WILL ASK RHEIKO'S OPINION, HE WILL DECIDE.
Ah, that might be the rub. If I'm reading you right (hard to do with all that shouting ;P), you had this model started already before the Contest started; in which case no, you (unfortunately) could not use it for the Contest ("no previous work allowed"). If that's the case, it stinks, I know. But yeah.

Check the dates.

Level 50
NO, YOU GOT ME WRONG. I STARTED IT FOR THE CONTEST, WHEN RHEIKO ASKED ME IF WE COULD MAKE A TEAM, I WAS LOOKING FOR A REFERENCE AND FOUND THIS ONE, ALTERNATE VERSION OF HIM, ASKED RHEIKO AND HE SAID I CAN MAKE THAT MODEL. AND I DID. I MADE IT DURING THE CONTEST, I WROTE WRONG. DAMN, NOW YOU WILL SUSPECT THAT I LIED, BUT @Rheiko CAN CONFIRM IT.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
No man, don't worry; you've got the benefit of the doubt from me. (although if you keep all the old WIP copies of your models as you work on them, it shouldn't be hard to prove in Windows with "Date Last Created/Modified/Accessed" info)

If you started work on the model anytime after the official start of the Contest, you're in the clear to use it. Now, I have no idea if you have the design (feel free to use my suggestions, *cough*) & coding to back that up (and in just a few days), or can retrofit the existing coding to "make sense" for this guy (PM me for details), but yeah, totally.

Level 50
THA

your best work so far but you gotta work more on how you create your triangles, the texture became distorted because you divided the plane the wrong way.
untitled-png.246441

your best work so far but you gotta work more on how you create your triangles, the texture became distorted because you divided the plane the wrong way.
THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. AS I CANNOT FIX THAT NOW, I WILL WATCH FOR THAT IN FUTURE. I CANNOT FIX IT SINCE IF I UPLOAD IT IN MILKSHAPE AGAIN IT WILL LOSE ANIMATIONS AND BONES.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
keep in mind though that when creating meshes (especially for arms, legs, etc.) your triangle distribution should be like this to avoid texture distortion when the model gets animated:
untitled-png.246467
Man, I can't be worrying about 'triangle distribution'; I'm still trying to stop the pretty red lights from zipping all over the place. :O

Level 50
keep in mind though that when creating meshes (especially for arms, legs, etc.) your triangle distribution should be like this to avoid texture distortion when the model gets animated:
untitled-png.246467
I thought it could not screw anything, looks like I was wrong. I always create mesh like that because of the wrapping. Thanks again, will have that in mind.

Level 34
Reviewer's verdict:

This is some next-gen shit. The style is amazing. Works well, everything is in line. Fuck yeah keep this up. Five stars from me.

//Flaws I've noticed: you scale his hero-glow down in death animation and that's noticeable different from blizz models, which isn't too good in this case; portrait doesn't look too good compared to blizz models. i might be a nerd in this regard, but i think that they made a good job with talking heads in wc3 and it's something to look up to.

Also stand second or stand third could make for a good Stand-2 animations so that it would play ingame along with Stand-1.