• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mass Scale army Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
First thing you should know is that warcaft's engine is not built for these kind of things, so having thousends of units on screen will result in heavy lags.

but if you still want to do it, i guess you can scale down units, put them in a unit group and then have a trigger that once one of the units is selected it makes some effect that shows that all units in the group are selected (cuz in warcraft you can't select many units at once).

make another trigger that if one of the units is issued an order all other units also get the same order.

and thats pretty much the basics.

Level 2
Even with that, if you have lots of units the pathing will get messed up and units will stutter.

A solution I found was to use the locust ability:

Example:
2 Units 1, Axeman and another Axeman(2) with locust.
They should have identical stats aside from the locust ability on Axeman(2).

Give Axeman one a locust swarm type ability that summons 3-5 Axeman(2).
Have a trigger, when axeman attacked, order it to cast locust swarm.

So now if u have 25 Axeman vs 25 Axemen, you end up with 150 units on each side, and no pathing error. The only thing you have to worry about is people's computers lagging when drawing the 300 units.

Level 7
A while ago I had an idea for a "formation" system whereas you generate an AI in game for a group of 12 units to behave in battle.

You can branch off the idea to make a player simply select a group of 12 units by an item, or what have you, who are behaving under a psuedo-AI generated in the game itself by the player.

And the locust swarm idea would be... interesting to look at.. I suppose.

Level 3
You could make an triger that makes an unit fallow a master unit, but you must maake some thing to select only "the maste unit" when you want to make they move.Then you can select more than one troop.

Good luck:infl_thumbs_up:

Even with that, if you have lots of units the pathing will get messed up and units will stutter.

A solution I found was to use the locust ability:

Example:
2 Units 1, Axeman and another Axeman(2) with locust.
They should have identical stats aside from the locust ability on Axeman(2).

Give Axeman one a locust swarm type ability that summons 3-5 Axeman(2).
Have a trigger, when axeman attacked, order it to cast locust swarm.

So now if u have 25 Axeman vs 25 Axemen, you end up with 150 units on each side, and no pathing error. The only thing you have to worry about is people's computers lagging when drawing the 300 units.

1.The summoned units by "Locust Swarm" can't be target of attacks, they will die only when the summoner dies.
2.When ever I try to do this things, if the units don't are flyers, they die before the life time ends...

For the love of god, I'm not making a map that has thousands of soldiers! Yes, that would have a fuckload of lag, and that is why I have made a map with only a few hundred soldiers in TOTAL. If you tried my map, you would know, And I know that comparison I made with Medieval Total War gives you the idea of bazillions of troops, but I was just making an example. The gameplay is more like Warhammer 40k DoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.