• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Real Scale/Realism Warcraft 3 Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Like from StarCraft II mod "CuTu Real Scale" I am also planning to make a Real Scale Warcraft 3 map, with most units and buildings in real scale and a bit of realism. This might make a few unbalanced units that require to be fixed. I will also make a bit of AI support because I doubt battle.net is still being played in Warcraft 3 Classic.

Any suggestions, opinions, and thoughts about Real Scale?

Level 22
You can try to look on WoW-design of WC3 races.
For example:
  • Humans in WoW have a big town halls and so-on buildings, just check Heartglen in both versions to receive inspiration about it. So it would be good, that you'll slighly increase building size and decrease unit/hero size as well;
  • Orc in WoW - same as humans: big buildings, that could store thousand of grunts or peons;
  • Undeads are tricky one - some undead units could be big as normal human farm (check Thaddius or Thrym), but mostly, according that you'll do only scale mod and don't add new units, the most big unit in Scourge should be frozen wyrm - because dragon's aren't small-sized, even when they're risen as undead;
  • Night Elfs in WoW have more human-like buildings, not ancients, but you still can check their size: Ancient of War, Corrupted Ancient Protector (just check the trees behind him!) and more other ancient - you can find them here.

Level 4
You can try to look on WoW-design of WC3 races.
For example:
  • Humans in WoW have a big town halls and so-on buildings, just check Heartglen in both versions to receive inspiration about it. So it would be good, that you'll slighly increase building size and decrease unit/hero size as well;
  • Orc in WoW - same as humans: big buildings, that could store thousand of grunts or peons;
  • Undeads are tricky one - some undead units could be big as normal human farm (check Thaddius or Thrym), but mostly, according that you'll do only scale mod and don't add new units, the most big unit in Scourge should be frozen wyrm - because dragon's aren't small-sized, even when they're risen as undead;
  • Night Elfs in WoW have more human-like buildings, not ancients, but you still can check their size: Ancient of War, Corrupted Ancient Protector (just check the trees behind him!) and more other ancient - you can find them here.
I am very sure Frost Wyrm is extremely huge like the size of dragons. Btw, I will also need to work on camera triggers to make the map playable. Thanks!

Level 5
I have tried to tinker with realism and real scale for my project in warcraft 3 reforged not warcraft 3 classic.
-It really depends on how you scale the units in my opinion. If you go down from 1.00 scaling value or if you go up from 1.00 scaling value.
-Benefits of going down from 1.00 scaling value that I have tested. Is that the map will apper larger and you can still show a real scale, but the problem is that the pathing is not like in Starcraft 2. At 0.650 scaling value you need a pathing of 16 but sometimes the melee units will just make a large gap in betwen their fighting animation and it will look weird. If you go lower with pathing like 15 or lower the units just clip trough each others. And it looks...

Last edited:
Level 11
I've thought of doing a similar thing where the fighting is more realistic. Units like Ghouls and Murloc going down with one hit, while larger units take more hits. Even heroes wouldn't have been safe from this. In contrast, buildings would only be damaged by Siege and suffer nothing from any other attack.

I hope yours works out :)

Level 7
What's poppin'? I like the idea. I've currently been working on Real Scale Wc3 for a few months now and it you're interested, feel free to join us! We have a team trying to get the most lore accurate scales for units. We're nearly done with every (yes, every) unit in the game and then we plan to do some balancing, and after that we'll turn the campaign into real scale! Contact me on discord if you want to talk, I think we could work well together! AdinizWarcraft#2896

Level 5
What's poppin'? I like the idea. I've currently been working on Real Scale Wc3 for a few months now and it you're interested, feel free to join us! We have a team trying to get the most lore accurate scales for units. We're nearly done with every (yes, every) unit in the game and then we plan to do some balancing, and after that we'll turn the campaign into real scale! Contact me on discord if you want to talk, I think we could work well together! AdinizWarcraft#2896
How do you manage to not make the units clip trough each other?

Level 7
How do you manage to not make the units clip trough each other?
I don't, we use 8 collision.
I don't find there's much of a need to not have them clip through each other, as the way units move doesn't exactly work like in Starcraft 2. They rarely tend to "touch" eachother and rather prefer to "move out" and stay separate from eachother.
We've done a lot of tests and as far as I've noticed (or rather I haven't), it's hardly noticeable when you're focusing on the huge scale battles.

Level 5
I was refering to 0.450 1 collision if you look when they will attack each other they will literary clip trough each other.
And the 0.450 32 and 0.450 16 just make that gap in betwen themselfs and looks so wrong. The gap is too large and the axe dosen't even strike the other orc.
I was just asking cause I tried to apply this things to a campaing but the combat looks too.How can I say it..Bad..
Project.png

Level 7
I was refering to 0.450 1 collision if you look when they will attack each other they will literary clip trough each other.
And the 0.450 32 and 0.450 16 just make that gap in betwen themselfs and looks so wrong. The gap is too large and the axe dosen't even strike the other orc.
I was just asking cause I tried to apply this things to a campaing but the combat looks too.How can I say it..Bad..
View attachment 399862
I'd suggest messing around and experimenting with the unit's Range and Range Motion Buffer alongsides the size and collision size.
When I made WC3 Real Scale, I changed the range to half of the original (so that melee units have to get close to eachother) and used a collision size of 8 (my base size for units is 0.50).
You'll also need to change Range Motion Buffer, which is the additional range a unit has when a unit leaves the actual attack range while the attacking unit is in its attack animation (i didn't and i'll prob have to change that)

Level 5
I'd suggest messing around and experimenting with the unit's Range and Range Motion Buffer alongsides the size and collision size.
When I made WC3 Real Scale, I changed the range to half of the original (so that melee units have to get close to eachother) and used a collision size of 8 (my base size for units is 0.50).
You'll also need to change Range Motion Buffer, which is the additional range a unit has when a unit leaves the actual attack range while the attacking unit is in its attack animation (i didn't and i'll prob have to change that)
I did but:
Combat - Acquisition Range (Real)
The range at which a unit/building/hero will automatically look for targets, and move or attack the target as necessary. Note that the attacking range of a unit/building/hero can never be greater than its acquisition range (see Unit Editor field "Combat - Attack x - Range").

And this is true. When I made the this range at 100. The combat was a bit clunky but they didn't made so many gaps. There we're some but not so many. The only problem is that the units will walk past each others sometimes withouth fighting at this range.
So even if I modified the Range Motion Buffer and Range I still got those results in the picture. Thats why I tought you manage to break these boundaries. :D

Level 7
Depends, but I've never really experienced problems.
I've set my range at 50 but my acquisition range is still default and things seem to work fine.
I did release a melee version of the map so if you're interested, you can check it out, should have a link to our discord server on my youtube channel which has a video on real scale.

You can check out how our fighting goes there, although our discord is pretty dead since we're just doing internal stuff atm aka campaign units and neutral hostile units.

Level 5
Depends, but I've never really experienced problems.
I've set my range at 50 but my acquisition range is still default and things seem to work fine.
I did release a melee version of the map so if you're interested, you can check it out, should have a link to our discord server on my youtube channel which has a video on real scale.

You can check out how our fighting goes there, although our discord is pretty dead since we're just doing internal stuff atm aka campaign units and neutral hostile units.
Yeah but this is on the Classic Graphics.
So what exactly scale you use. It is cleary lower than 0.500 or 0.450. And I can see you adjusted the speed of the model to the walking animation speed.
Thank you for the discord. I will watch the video in depth later.

Level 4
View attachment 399862
Sorry of the late reply, I know this project is that I mentioned it a month ago. This is incredibly helpful!

Unfortunately, bugs have been occurring in discord in which I can't login in Discord.
I still havent worked on real scale rip.. most ppl have been giving me ideas and balancing on my other project "New Kul'Tiras" I'll update when I am starting to work on real scale :thumbs_up:

Level 7
Sorry of the late reply, I know this project is that I mentioned it a month ago. This is incredibly helpful!

Unfortunately, bugs have been occurring in discord in which I can't login in Discord.
I still havent worked on real scale rip.. most ppl have been giving me ideas and balancing on my other project "New Kul'Tiras" I'll update when I am starting to work on real scale :thumbs_up:
No problem, glad to be able to help!
Weird bug though, maybe account was stolen? Regardless maybe make a new account.
Checked out New Kul'tiras btw, pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.