• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Marine Wars v1.4

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A very basic map that I made several years ago and plan on updating. There are two factions (6v6), the goal is to destroy the enemy team using massing and deception skills.

Four different types of marines besides original and heroes; Fire marines, Frost marines, Nature marines, and Air marines.

Please comment any ideas/bugs that can be added.

I made this map entirely using Blizzard's map maker but would like to thank my friends and some random people in custom game lobbys for helping me test it.

Keywords:
Modern War, USA, Marines, Terrorists, Fiction
Contents

Marine Wars v1.4 (Map)

Reviews
13:59, 13th Feb 2011 Cweener: Rejected Posts below speak for my thoughts on this map.

M

13:59, 13th Feb 2011
Cweener: Rejected
Posts below speak for my thoughts on this map.

Level 12
189253-albums4121-picture38749.jpg

Author name and your name don't even match!

Edit: wow.

Omgz, this is really bad.

-First point, rules marks. 1/5
Author name and your name do not match. See description and game-play.

-Second point, Description. 1/5
Not informative at all, pls use BB codes to improve your description.

-Third point, Game-play. 2/5
Bad game play is bad.

-Fourth point, Terrain. 1/5
No doodads at all.

-Fifth point, Triggers. 1/5
Too simple. Should be classified as altered melee game.

-This map looks like its stolen, this might STOLEN. (Pls clarify if this is not stolen and show any evidence to prove that its not stolen.)

-Overall, 6/20. Congratz. (1/5) [rounded down]
-Voting for Rejection.

Pretty much a bad map, improve your description, heres are some tutorial you may need.
Also, give credits to people who help you, by any means, models, etc.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/various-terraining-tips-144074/

Mods should give him an infraction for not reading the hive rules / not obeying the hive rules / breaking so many rules.

This is a grading system. :D

Level 35
I will give this a proper playtest when I find the time, but for now, I will mention that the description appears to describe everything that is needed except for why the names don't match. So, why don't the names match? :p

Anyway, as you said yourself, this is a basic concept, so I wouldn't expect too much of a description other than what you have plus an explanation of why the names are different, although if you get the time, it might be worth seeing how you can improve on it so that it looks bonerific (as lots of people like bonerific descriptions (= )

Level 35
The maps being uploaded just keep getting more slack and slack..

1/5

And the moderation's keep getting all the slacker -.-''
Srsly, did you even bother downloading and playing the map before rating it? God dammit, the problem isn't the uploaders, it's the people 'reviewing' these maps before the moderators even get half a chance to look at it -.-

Level 12
Srsly, did you even bother downloading and playing the map before rating it? God dammit, the problem isn't the uploaders, it's the people 'reviewing' these maps before the moderators even get half a chance to look at it -.-

NOU! Noob up-loaders are noobs. Fail up-loaders are failures. Bad up-loaders are baddies. >:D

Level 35
But despite the fact that this map can not be ~33KB and worthy of keeping on the hive, we need to actually playtest it before we comment on it. And when we comment on it, it does help to keep the criticism useful.

Example of doing it wrong:
Bad game play is bad.

Example of doing it... better:
The game play was not entertaining at all, the concept was too basically done to be worthwhile and the experience was simply not a good one.

If there are ways with which you think it can be improved, then it is important to at least think about maybe saying something with regards to that. Although if the gameplay is as bad as this one is (sorry, but it is), then there's not really much you can suggest other than post it to Map Development or just abandon the project altogether.

Anyway, from the sounds of the map, to truly test the gameplay you'd want to playtest with at least one other person before condemning it. Although I will suggest now that the terrain at a glance is awful and needs work, and that the map's incredibly low filesize indicates that it doesn't really have that much content to make it 'interesting'. However, the simple gameplay might be great with a group of 12.

Level 12
But despite the fact that this map can not be ~33KB and worthy of keeping on the hive, we need to actually playtest it before we comment on it. And when we comment on it, it does help to keep the criticism useful.

Example of doing it wrong:
Bad game play is bad.

Example of doing it... better:
The game play was not entertaining at all, the concept was too basically done to be worthwhile and the experience was simply not a good one.

If there are ways with which you think it can be improved, then it is important to at least think about maybe saying something with regards to that. Although if the gameplay is as bad as this one is (sorry, but it is), then there's not really much you can suggest other than post it to Map Development or just abandon the project altogether.

Anyway, from the sounds of the map, to truly test the gameplay you'd want to playtest with at least one other person before condemning it. Although I will suggest now that the terrain at a glance is awful and needs work, and that the map's incredibly low filesize indicates that it doesn't really have that much content to make it 'interesting'. However, the simple gameplay might be great with a group of 12.

lol'd, nice review is nice. My review is nicer.

Level 2
I have read over everyone's comments, and I will take down the map. It's crappy as shit but I really wouldn't think that the reviewers would judge it so harshly. Remember I made this several years ago, elementary school to be precise. I will go in and update this map to a more appropriate level of play when I have the time and repost it.

Level 35
I have read over everyone's comments, and I will take down the map. It's crappy as shit but I really wouldn't think that the reviewers would judge it so harshly. Remember I made this several years ago, elementary school to be precise. I will go in and update this map to a more appropriate level of play when I have the time and repost it.

I have to agree with you on this one. It seems that it really is the commenting that's lowering it's standard.

Just remember why you modded in the first place, though (for fun, of course =])

Actually, I did care to check. Seriously, do I need to waste my time making comments about this?

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
      • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
That's the only trigger there and he even forgot to remove it. Did I forget to mention that he didn't even bother to check it (its instant victory).

Redtiger said:
It's crappy as shit.

I would like it if people stopped uploading maps that they think are 'crappy as shit'.

Level 35
Actually, I did care to check. Seriously, do I need to waste my time making comments about this?

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
      • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
That's the only trigger there and he even forgot to remove it. Did I forget to mention that he didn't even bother to check it (its instant victory).

I would like it if people stopped uploading maps that they think are 'crappy as shit'.

Damn, he did actually say it was crappy as shit... sigh... I've tried being hard on these nubs, and they still upload, so I try being nice, and they still upload...

Here's the thing. Unless the map is good and you're confident you can say it's good, don't upload it here on hive. If your map is incomplete, put it on the Project Development Forum. If your map is complete, by all means put it on here, so long as you can explain why the names of the submitter may or may not be different to the creator. People in the past have managed, so what's with this wave of idiots who can't manage that much? Srsly, it doesn't take a fucking genious to follow these rules...

Level 9
To make a map worth submitting on Hive, that map needs good gameplay. You can make that gameplay even with the default triggers, as long as you know how to. I know, my first resource here got rejected too.