• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

March of the Stormwarden

Reactions: deepstrasz and Vinz
Abelhawk presents

March of the Stormwarden
Created by Abelhawk

Map Info:

This scenario follows the adventure of the Stormwarden, an ancient protector of the Wildlands of Ashenvale. Summoned by Moonsister Thilera, you must use the powers of the storm to defeat monsters, regain the confidence of the Elder Gods, and defeat whatever the source of this darkness is.

Features:
  • A brand new hero type with new hero abilities
  • An extended inventory system (activated once you get 6 items)
  • New enemies, including Burning Treants and Unstable Ghouls
  • Easter eggs
  • Two unique boss battles

Some else stuff about map:

This map is unfinished as of its submission to the Mini Mapping Contest #16 it was made for. Hence, it ends abruptly after the first two bosses are defeated and the player attempts to exit the town through the new gates. There may also be other bugs, as thorough playtesting has not been undertaken yet. These will be fixed within the next month of March 2020.

Change Log:

Fixed:
  • A bunch of bugs
  • The death system
  • Some broken cinematics
  • Too thick of fog
  • Rebalanced Stormwarden's abilities, item costs, cooldowns, everything
  • Fixed quest requirements and text and everything

Removed:
  • Items that were set out for debugging purposes
Fixed:
  • The opening cinematic now has proper timing and fade filters
  • Quest messages no longer have incorrect "|n" tags

Credits:

Models:
Music:
  • "Array of Flowers" from Spore
[/hidden]

Author's notes:

Please let me know in the comments below if you find any problems with the map!

Known Bugs:
  • I think with the latest patch the Dryad Pouch quest might be off
  • Embricar boss battle is janky
  • Act III is still unfinished
  • The flute only works once and I can't figure out why

[Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Previews
Contents

March of the Stormwarden (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
Map appears to be functional & doesn't break any rules. I did not run into any of the previously mentioned issues, you seem to have effectively fixed them. Approved.
Level 1
I don't really know what's classified as an obvious bug so I'm just going to give my opinions of the maps from the beginning. First off, I watched your streams over the last few days while you were making this, had you mostly in the background but I did tab in and out often and thoroughly enjoyed your commentary.

It was pretty cool to have an idea of what your map was going to be before playing it and still be surprised along the way. I really like how you decided to balance the hero. High mana regeneration, low cooldowns, very much like the HoTS hero or moba from which it was inspired from. It's a cool concept. Having to manage your abilities with the high mana cost but also not having to wait too long for it to regenerate. I played my fair share of games where once you're out of mana, you're either dead or you bring pots.

The chest mechanic. I really liked the chest mechanic. There's just something so satisfying about opening a big chest of goodies. I tried the silver key first (which failed, btw). I think for balance patches, you shouldn't give away so many gold keys, it kind of took away the fun of failing a chest (<- Ikr, failing probability is fun too) since I had far too many gold keys within the first 5 mins.

Bugs that I encountered were 1) The flute didn't play the tune after the 1st cast. 2) The flute didn't wake up the ogre, so I didn't play the Boss fight :(. 3) One of the cutscenes in the cave softlocked me.

The map has potential, but I have encountered a game breaking bug, and I am now unable to proceed. I got killed, and now my character won't respawn (see last point of my list).

• The quest Fey Essence has a green icon, not properly imported.
  • Improper text formatting: Screenshot
  • Why are the hotkeys ZXC and not QWE?
  • After I teleported the camera is no longer locked to my unit.
  • The purple fade filter in the cinematic when I get to Shadowleaf village is extremely strong. You should make it weaker so I can see the village :p
  • I love that the tree attacks me if I attack the bears in the village, but he should stop pursuing me after a set amount of time.
  • The guardian killed me, and now I am stuck? The screen is red from the blood filter, and nothing happens? No respawn, no nothing. FeelsBadMan.

Level 12
Guess you shouldn't have been a jerk to the citizens of Shadowleaf ;)
Thanks a lot for the feedback though. Try playing again without doing that and see if you can die elsewhere and it works. I'm guessing I checked a boolean at some point in the aggro trigger and it may have broken the death system.
I'll definitely make note of all of these errors. I should be able to work on this map again starting this Saturday.

You don't like ZXCV? :D I like those because they're the bottom row of the keyboard to match the bottom row of the icons on his UI. I guess that is more traditional though.

Guess you shouldn't have been a jerk to the citizens of Shadowleaf ;)
I always make a sport out of trying to kill friendlies :p
ry playing again without doing that and see if you can die elsewhere and it works.
Sure, I will give it another go.
I'm guessing I checked a boolean at some point in the aggro trigger and it may have broken the death system.
I'm actually looking through your triggers to try and see if I locate it. From what I see the "Defence" trigger doesn't deactivate any respawn critical booleans, so the problem lies elsewhere.
I should be able to work on this map again starting this Saturday.
You should wait until the contest has been concluded.
You don't like ZXCV? :D I like those because they're the bottom row of the keyboard to match the bottom row of the icons on his UI. I guess that is more traditional though.
I'm just used to QWERTY hotkeys, so it felt weird to me. Someone else might find it better suited to them though. Just a matter of preference.

Level 21
Nice touch with the Hyppogryphs in Shadowleaf village, +atmoshpere.
Damn the map bugged out after breaking a large wooden gate in the eastern caverns, had to alt f4 the game (got stuck in the cinematic).

That's a bugger because so far i enjoyed the map.

edit: i will give it a second try later
edit2: sadly i couldn't progress again, this time the flute seemed to bug out

Last edited:
Level 12
Version 0.9b is out!
I did a couple of passes and fixed a lot of the embarassing game-breaking bugs I released this map with >< Give it another playthrough and let me know what you think! It's still not finished, but you should at least be able to get farther in the game without the game breaking.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Tempest Shield=Immolation.
  2. How to put the camera back up if you reset it? OK, ESC does the job.
  3. Primal Horn seems to instantly kill units.
  4. Used the Horn on a lava spawn/some creatures from Pyrewood and the game froze.
  5. Zombies awaken then sleep :confused:2
  6. The 50% chance keys are lame since you can save-load the game to cheat.
  7. Kobolds having Archer summoning scrolls:confused:2
  8. Taking the Fey Essence from the cave gave me the quest again (quest message +flashing quest log menu/button).
  9. When you fight the beetles, a bear and some kobold partially try coming to you from the near north.
  10. Intended for the hero's mana to regenerate very fast?
  11. Trying to activate the rune in the cave near the altar of elders froze the game.
So yeah, can't continue because of that bug as the runes can't be activated without the Horn and it's mandatory to win.
Generally, it's a nice little adventure RPG.

Level 12
  1. Doesn't it also slow down enemies in the radius or something? (Can't remember off the top of my head)
  2. Yes.
  3. If the units are weak. But I'll have to test that out.
  4. Interesting. I'll definitely check that bug out.
  5. Yeah, that whole exchange and that stupid flute need some serious attention on my part. Really buggy.
  6. Shame on you :D But yeah, you have a point. Maybe not the best idea for a game mechanic.
  7. They stole them
  8. That is good to know. I hate when I make mistakes like that. You're sure it gave you the quest and didn't just update the objective?
  9. Good to know. I'll space out the encounters a bit.
  10. Yes! I wanted the game to be fast-paced. Though maybe it'd be good to make it regenerate more slowly in actual combat.
  11. Really? That's weird. Thought I had that working before.
Thanks for the bug report. When I have the time and motivation, I'll definitely try and iron this map out. I probably shouldn't have been so ambitious with some elements in the game.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Doesn't it also slow down enemies in the radius or something? (Can't remember off the top of my head)
Hmm, didn't notice.
hat is good to know. I hate when I make mistakes like that. You're sure it gave you the quest and didn't just update the objective?
Can't tell since the quest wasn't finished yet. But the quest message didn't say update.
Though maybe it'd be good to make it regenerate more slowly in actual combat.
Definitely.
I probably shouldn't have been so ambitious with some elements in the game.
No, it's good. Spices things up. Just take your time to make it good.