• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maps are getting so unoriginal nowadays.

What is your opinion on the matter?

• I agree, we need to take actions to stop this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Looking on maps section of this site, i saw not one, not two, but THREE rip offs of vapirism. This has to stop, guys, really.

Maybe this should be in maps section, i dont know; but it is a site problem as well as an entire battlenet problem.

Basically, there are too many rip off of maps. There are about 20 kodo tags, 20 X hero seige, 20 hero builder, 20 battleships, 20 X tower defense, 20 footman frenzy, and about 100 million sheep tags, ect, ect

Tower defenses and escape games are ok as long as they contain something new, and so are many games, but to be honest, most games are just where somebody has opened up a sucesful map, gone on to object editor, give something some more hp and thought "whoa, this map must be so great, now that ive fixed a bug" and then gone ontoscenario tab, made map name XXXX ULTIMATE FINAL GOLD EDITION!!! and then put there name on loading screen, and though "whoa, i made a map!!!" Most of them dont give credit to original maker

We need something; even if its jsut a moderator putting a frendly but firm news message telling people to PLEASE not submit this sort of stuff onto the site.

I want to know if its just me, or if it really is true that the flow of original maps is starting to really slow down.

P.S: luckily, blizz did something to help by creating cool new game, called bomber comand.

Level 4
This site has no real delete system, so you cant have put much thought into that post. Rather hostile to call me a liar; with my escape map, i tried to add as much orignial stuff as posible.

Maybe there should be a system where people can vote 1-5 on a map and if the total score goes below 1, with a total of at least 10 votes, then it should be looked at by a mod to see if it can be "safe listed" so that it cant be deleted or deleted. Thing is that this system might add to the lagg the site gets and might cost darky more.

Anyway, I am not attaking map catagorys, its just that there are about 20 battleships and sheep tag, ect , ect ,ect maps where there is hardly any (or in some cases of blatant theft, none) changes. And, there needs to be more credit given to original creators.

I think that people should start asking permision, to edit a map, i know it sounds like alot of hassle and problem, but when someone does a simple terain change, i think they should inform creator, and if they only make a simple change, dont put there name on it.

Level 22
I was contemplating adding an "original maps only" rule to the submit criteria, that mean all maps would need to be made from scratch, which would also mean that would no rips of other people's maps, which includes altered Blizz maps. I was only thinking about it, though, because some maps were intentionally made open source, or I simply dont know who made the original (I already made that mistake one time, where I unknowingly deleted the original and kept the rip...I vowed I would not make that mistake again). But I have no sympathy for people who cannot build their own maps. If I can do it, anyone can.

And we had a rating system, but too many people did not know how to use it correctly, so we removed it.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
I agree that maps stealing is wrong because ive seen heaps like about 20 different maps of the same thing made by one person and noone bothers to include credit for the original creator. Im making a map at the moment and im still debating if it should be protected or not.

Level 25
The mindset of people is easy to understand

"LOLZ, that map is teh fun so ill copy it LOLZ"

Or, sometimes

"Well, that map was good, except that I could fix these bugs and make it better..."

That's how we get simular maps

Rui

Rui

Level 41
james1654 said:
Looking on maps section of this site, i saw not one, not two, but THREE rip offs of vapirism. This has to stop, guys, really.

Maybe this should be in maps section, i dont know; but it is a site problem as well as an entire battlenet problem.

Basically, there are too many rip off of maps. There are about 20 kodo tags, 20 X hero seige, 20 hero builder, 20 battleships, 20 X tower defense, 20 footman frenzy, and about 100 million sheep tags, ect, ect

Tower defenses and escape games are ok as long as they contain something new, and so are many games, but to be honest, most games are just where somebody has opened up a sucesful map, gone on to object editor, give something some more hp and thought "whoa, this map must be so great, now that ive fixed a bug" and then gone ontoscenario tab, made map name XXXX ULTIMATE FINAL GOLD EDITION!!! and then put there name on loading screen, and though "whoa, i made a map!!!" Most of them dont give credit to original maker

We need something; even if its jsut a moderator putting a frendly but firm news message telling people to PLEASE not submit this sort of stuff onto the site.

I want to know if its just me, or if it really is true that the flow of original maps is starting to really slow down.

P.S: luckily, blizz did something to help by creating cool new game, called bomber comand.

For what I understood of your post, you refer that maps that have different terrain but are "the same", are useless, but just because a map is almost the same I can't delete it, because I don't even know which of them is the rip. And I agree with VGsatomi.

Level 4
Vexorian said:
And you consider 3 a big number because..?

Count the DOTA clones

Its not a big number, but it sure is if its consequitive (sry i know i spelt that wrong). 3 maps ALL of the same thing one after the other is a real problem.

I agree with vgatomi, but obviously, mellee maps would not be included.Any maps that i make are ALLWAYS from scratch.

Personally, I think that if you think of a bug fix for something, inform the creator and let him do it. The situation of me tooism (trademark of vgsatomi) is really starting to get out of hand. I have not seen a totally new concept of map in at least a month, maybe even more (not counting bomber comand) .

I am well aware that most ideas have already been taken, and so now it gets very hard to make an original map, but there will allways be ideas out there.

Infact, I have not seen a fall of minas morgol map . . . I have not seen a Marine type map where you fly to diferent planets . . .
I thought those two up in 1 minuit, so there obviously are new map ideas, such as king kong, Or battle of nania. New films are allways coming out, remember that.

Oh and metal_sonic , I agree that using terain from a mellee map should not be allowed, and, to be honest, that sort of terain would probably suck in a custom type map.

DD_draco , the rest of us are brave enough to leave our maps unprotected, and so should you, I will allways leave my maps unprotected, no matter what. As long as you subit it to wc3sear.ch At least within a week of when you release, you will have solid proof.

But, I do sort of wish there was a way to protect maps so that anyone who was experienced would EASILY be able to unprotect it, but total noobs (and to be honest, they are the most common efenders) would not be able to steal. But, there is not, so we are just Going to Have to stick together and think of anyother way.

My two latest ideas, are in a stickied map thread, you can say the original concept you are about to release Before It is actually released.

Or, There is the news forum thread, that i recomended at top of page

Or, You could put it in notes section of triggers,

Or, make a trigger that makes a message to all not tomcopy map, when game begins

Or, you could say that u have put a virus in map that screws up editor if you open it. This has a 50% chance to scare of noobs, and any non noob who is more unlikely to copy map would No its a load of nonsence from a mile off. Hmmm, thats actually a good idea . . .

Level 4
There should be a Rule about rip off maps. If you do, improve it by t h i s much or else it stealing.

And just wondering, who was the orginal creator of sheep tag?

Level 14
Talking about creativity/originality. I am currently slowly working on Tower Defense map, and I'm trying to make it not just another wintermaul. I want to add custom abilities to towers, volcano towers, 10 races to choose from and these like. I have been testing my map (3 waves spawning) and people liked it.

Oh I went once on Lordaeron TFT custom game... 90% was Dota, maybe 1 sheep tag, 1 td ;/

Status
Not open for further replies.