• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Against map protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
in reference to this segment from the faq's section...

I (Darky27), the owner of this site am highly against map protecting. I think map protecting screws the mapping community.

how would you like it if you create a map which is quickly accepted into USWest with games being hosted frequently. You go to school for 5 days, jump back on the net friday and see that your map has been ripped by about 20 people who add their shockingly stupid ideas and take credit for the map. I gotta admit, when i was first learning how to use editor, it was great to use a good map as a reference point. However, after spending weeks on a map you deserve to get full credit, not have little kids come and tear it to pieces.
Notice that all the good maps are protected?
This is for a good reason.

Level 17
@booyah

Load that map and open it in WE ;-)
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=CircleDefense

Do you know who Duke Wintermaul is and what map he made?
His map got ripped around 20000000000000 times and because of this his map is the most known of all.

If someone ripp my map i dont care really... because people already know who made the map.
And if someone is able to understands my triggers and can do changes i'm ok with that too. He then certainly learned something from my map.

99% of all maps which are protected are crap and not worth protecting. 99% of the people are paranoid about ripping their maps...
But in fact if someone ripps your map its a flattery for you. It was worth ripping.

Level 12
Actually , Darky, Even you protect your maps so shut up =P, rigging the map to quit after saving is still a map protection, and that means you worry about persons stealing your maps too.

And I will still use heavy locker for the 200 KB it saves for my map, prolly release an alternate version using your protection

Level 6
im no against map protecting

im not against map protecting...
realy good maps should be protected and so are (Enfo's Team Survival or FFopenRPG4.1 and more....)
it has good side in it cause u get to be populer (like Duke wintermaul) but still good map should be protected from some reason. if ill make map i would protect it.
but this is depend on the person who made the map and its his decision.

Level 3
there is not a single method out there that truly protects a map. anyone with decent computer skills and free time can open any war3 map, no matter what the protection it has implemented.

if someone (smart) wants to get into your map, they can.

Level 22
I'm kinda mixed about it, too. Being able to open and observe people's maps is essential to new mappers learning how triggers and scripts work. I'm very proud of the maps I've made and I feel I wouldnt be where I am today if I wasnt able to see how certain things were done. But I hear what booyah is saying. One map I spent several weeks on, and later found it on b.net with changes in it that completely comprimised what I was trying to do with the map with somone else's name slapped on it. It hurt. It felt like somone ripped the heart right out of my chest...it hurt.

Level 6
Ugh... VGsatomi speaks the truth... if VGsatomi didnt say that already i would have lol

Oh yeah and... i know how you feel... even though they made it theyre selves they still make me mad by stealing my idea... i hate that egg... he was the only one that had something to do with that map that dled my ORIGINAL map, and i think he saw it and then he told that person that made that map it would be a good idea... AND YES ITS A GOOD IDEA! ¯_¯ even though i sometimes do it.... i dont say its fully my credit... i say Edited by: Hokage_Naruto Originally Made by: blablabla NOT Made by: Hokage_Naruto, and + i only do it alot of the time to really bad maps, to make them alot better then they are now.

(ugh shouldnt this be in Maps?)

(since i cant double post)

Hmmm you mean smart like me? or like my brother? probuably my brother... even though i have more time then him... ugh strange how that is... im not as smart... hes very smart... i have tons of time... he doesnt have hardly any time.

Level 2
Darky27 said:
@VGsatomi

If someone took your map and altered it... isnt that kinda flattering?
You then know it actually is liked by people and worth opening/changing

Ive seen enough ripoffs off maps that werent that good, and if they just screw up a map that isnt that much known yet, its just mean. You dont have that problem maybe, agreed, but what if you made a good first map, with a slow spread because you cant afford a website and neither have a bunch of ppl to spread it over bnet?. If someone would rip it in the first few weeks, who could tell who really made the map and who just changed the credits?

However, I agree on that ppl can also improve the map alot, but you can still give an unprotected ver of the map out to these that are interested and seem serious enough to not just do stupid things to it.

Level 6
I agree with alot of you, but also i dont like people ripping off maps and just saying they did it, that makes me pissed off that they have the nerve to do that.

Level 22
I hear what you all are saying. Yeah, it feels good knowing that your maps are being played on, especially considering how many maps are out there...but just seeing my map with someone else's name on, even if it is improved, just digs deep into my nerves...it's only happened to me once, but it was with my best map :( .

Level 5
Also, consider maps with larger file sizes. Who wants to download the map again and again because some idiot decided he should add some "ub3rl337 ph47 l3w7z" to your RPG? You see the same problem with maps of manageable size where there's a hundred different versions of the map. Besides which, really good maps can be a huge time investment.

I'm all for map protecting. If someone wants to learn from the map they should contact the person who made it.

Level 22
Shiv said:
I'm all for map protecting. If someone wants to learn from the map they should contact the person who made it.

I've tried sthat before, mainly regarding getting hold of costom models to use for maps from protected maps by going through the original map authors. Most of the time they are hostile or otherwise uncooperative...if not just downright rude...I mean, saying "no" is understandable, but to tell me to **** off (among many other things) is simply uncalled for. At time like that I'm just tempted to hack the map and steal the files in retaliation... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.