• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

For And Against Map Protect !

Are u against map protect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
difficult to answer, one one hand you have people that might be interested in how the map works and probably like to improve it, on the other hand, you have all these rip-offs off maps like wintermaul, footman and such that are just bad and ruin the reputation of the map.
So basically, im for map protecting, as I saw many rip-offs of popular maps, and these are a punch in the face of any serious mapmacker.
If someone would like to look at the triggers, the author can still give him an unprotected version of it, if he trusts him, but once the map gets ripped, you can't undo it.

Level 1
I'm generally against protecting maps, mostly because lame ripp offs IMHO don't overweigh the good maps which gain features and depth by the hands of many. The only advantage a map protection offers is that it usually compresses the map nicely, thus making it perfect for Bnet. Lesser map revision variation usually leadsto dying maps long term, so protected map which don't get supported may go down simply because a new patch breakssomething or people want to fix that one annoying error/bug which can't be fixed due to some protetion. Ok I'm ranting, i'm tired and my sentences probably aren't that comprehensible as i would like them to be. anyway, thats my stancetowards map protection: it may have advantages (smaller maps, less variation) but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages so my Vote Is YES, I'm against map Protection (in most cases)

i'm for example are quite pissed about those angel arena incosistencies, many are rigged, and even more have totally different herostats and the like, so all in all sometime mapprotection does have its merits, though i still prefer the maps to be debuggable instead of not.

AoH

AoH

Level 1
I agree that i´ts very anoying when somebody do a bad rip-of of your map...
But I´m against protection...
so that people can learn..

Level 2
I think map protect is a good idea, because if a mapmaker spends months on a map and it isn't protected, and someone edits it, the creator downloads the new one and doesn't like it, that is not fair for the creator.

Level 7
basicially, i'm for map protection, because lot of people edit good maps and make their own version (mostly with extra cheats)
but map makers should make an unprotected, maybe older version, so that anyone could take a look on it.

Level 2
I cant decide...

I am for it because there are to many n00b-map-stealers out there.

And I am against it, so n00bs who wants to learn something cant look at the map.

Level 1
If you're against map protection, please play Footman GOD and then come back here with your new opinion. :lol:

Level 2
Blizzard should make it so that you may password protect your map. In order to save the map you will need the password. But other players kan still copy trigggers units place units all the normals stuff exept for saving.Problem Solved

Level 21
Protecting your map is great idea.
It reserves your privacy because of your hard work - someone spends alot of time on their hard work and you come in to his map editing it.
Not to mention if its a REALLY good map, people will acess it more then any others because they are either jealous, want to know more on it or want to learn something.
Keeping newbies from editing or doing rip-off versions of your map, its good. Also if maps wasn't protected, would you like more than 100,000 versions of one map? do you want to see 1/100,000 of those everyday? people will get confused, won't like it and battle.net will be ruined!

Level 4
Initially I was against it. I wanted people to learn from my map, and I wanted to encourage more of the same sort of work from other people.

Unfortunately, I've ended up not altogether happy with some of the changes that have been made. People will add stuff you're not happy with. They might not playtest like you do, and they might not balance like you do. There's a version of my mod out there now with tooltips missing and god knows what else. Another class has been added to it, being an RPG mod, and from what I've heard he's way, way overpowered.

People can also use the open map to cheat too. Chuck in a few triggers, fire up the game, a command here, a command there... insta-high level character. Get the save code, quit, fire up an online game, and you're playing with a character you created in about 30 seconds. That's not right.

Nah, if people want to learn from your map, they can easily email you asking for an unprotected version. This is the way I'll be doing it from now on...

Level 3
I am completly for map protecting, accept for in one area, someone may, as was said before, leave a map unprotected so people can learn from it and edit it for good but then inturn change the map a bit, remove your name, put in theirs, then protect it and distribute it, people froget about your version because of the new one, and you loose all credit for the map you worked hard on.

edit- Also, many maps I have seen have good imported models skins and spells that would be helpful to others for their maps, but since they are protected, you can not extract them from the map

Level 2
Im for map protection, i mean. Its just to stupid to see poeple on battle.net that edit a great map and call there own. But on the other hand. I often use other maps to see how thay made, surten triggers work and stuff so. I use the un protected feture, but i like the proteced feture. What can i say?

Level 3
I'm against anything unprotected, including maps. You say you want to leave them unproteted so new mapmakers can learn how to do triggers and make custom units, etc. etc. But rather than that, you can protect your map, and leave your msn or AIM name, since everyone has one now-a-days, and they can message you on that and ask how to do this or that.

Also, like 5000 people have already stated, if you leave it unprotected, they can cut your name out of all the credits, add some cheats, rig it, etc. etc. And then make it really lame.

Level 22
You are forgetting that most map makers are uncooperative and will not help when you ask...well at least the ones on b.net...I am against map protecting, I think it's essentail for new map makers to be able to open things to learn how aspects of triggerwork are done. That's how I learned, and that's how probably the next guy will learn too. If people are so paranoid about having their stuff being stolen (which I wouldnt worry about, since only a dozen different maps from well-known mappers maps are played regularly on b.net) then they should submit them to sites like these where they're name is in concrete.
-VGsatomi

Level 13
Yeah, same opinion. I'll never protect one of my maps. If someone re-creates it? I don't care. All the guys on this page will know that this cpn/map was done by me. That's enough. By the way, if you really wanna open a map, there will be no map protection that can't be hacked! 8)

Level 3
Valid point VGsatomi But still. If they want to learn how to do triggers, there is NO better way than oepning a blizzard map.They make everything neat and tidy. I've learned triggers by experimenting, blizzard maps(The Tower Defense, and Easter maps), and helpful people on forums. I haven't opened up anyone elses map.

Status
Not open for further replies.