• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
A map template for any one who wants to use it. will upload this to map section later if its people like it here.
- btw the fences have pathing blockers next to them so you cant pass the fences and houses have it too. (more realistic).
Model Credits - Happy Tauren, TheTerran, olofmoleman, oBs3rv3r. Nasrudin, Illidan(Evil)X, hero2589,VampireHeart, kofi_banan.
Dont forgot to give credit to them.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    866.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Map Template.w3x
    486.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 10
Level 8
Downloaded it, opened it up.

Since your map is uber flat you could use water tile, smooth out the cliffs on it, save on doodad space. Flowing/moving water works great... if it has someplace to go to. or a reason for all of that movement.

I think that this model for water: Water model - Wc3campaigns would work better as a water model its calmer and comes with variations of 'wave' that might work better for the fountains.

As for fountains, you could have used water falls, in a circle, each facing at the 8 compass points (Lower right hand corner of image attached).

While I live near a city that does have long running canals running through it, they serve a purpose and come from someplace and go someplace. I get the feeling that your middle canal is a half thought. Maybe an "'oops' I planned out this suburb and have extra space - oh I know, lets through in a row of water."

Cattails all over the place??? Is this a swamp suburb. You used a lovely Japanese tree, you could have taken the time to use a few more bushes and trees to really flesh out his 'town'

The farm house (upper left hand corner) is too big. Use the mage, plop him down in front of the door. The door is huge.

Your streets could be a wee bit wider. Upper Right hand corner of attached image I placed in siege machines to show the size relationships of vehicles to road I added a wider road heading north note how the dividing line now separates two lanes of traffic.

Your cemetery is very, very bland I would suggest using a wider variety of grave marker types. That gas station just jars with the rest of the map - too much.

Over all you have a half decent idea. Since you are using doodad structures you are not limited to having them all facing the same direction. I would set the rotation to -1 and rotate some of them. have north facing lots with north facing houses, have east and west facing houses.

IF this map was going to be used for a game, I most likely would set the camera distance further out when the player's unit(s) are in the area, possibly increase the AOA of the camera as well. It might be usable as an RPG village of some sort.

I would break up the monotony of everything where possible. such as use other fencing/walls or even small stones as property divisions (or make hedge rows from the bush).

I would increase the size of the map (maybe to 160 if not 192) and increase the width off all the roads to really accept vehicular traffic in both directions.

I would raise the map's cliff height by 2, lay in real water, remove waves from the water and work the canal/fountain thingy a bit. Perhaps make a bridge for road traffic over it, maybe make it into a full length canal that goes somewhere and comes from somewhere.

I have no idea why cargo containers are just there without a port or a warehouse or industrial park there to support them.

I have no idea why you have a villager standing on that platform is he being pillared? Is he a minister of darkness preaching to a delusional crowd?

The gas station... I see no vehicles anywhere that would use gas.

Attachments

• Sliced.JPG
    Sliced.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 83
Level 8
LOL yeah, thats probably right, although the region thing makes sense because you cant make regions diagonal or dimond shape, if you could it would be more easy to make things non symetrical. I had same probably with my RPG town thats a lil further down in the forum list.

Yeah regions on the diagonal are a real pain to create using itty bitty regions and then knitting them together with via triggers - forget trying to get unit enters/leaves a region as an array. LOL

Level 8
Ok edited more things but how do i increase the map size?

Go to the tool bar (at the top of the editor) select Scenario. Select any of the top five options (Map description / Map option /etc.) this will open a pop-up window with tabs.

Size and Camera Bounds will present you with a mini-map that has arrow keys on each side of the map.

Near the bottom there are two check boxes. Modify Camera Bounds should already be checked. Modify Map Bounds will need to be checked.

On the lower right hand corner there is information:

description: Small (or Medium, Large, Huge Epic depending on the size of the map)

Map Size:
Playable 148 x 148 (or what ever you map size inside of the boundary shadow is)
Full 160 x 160 (or the whole size of your map)

Tick or check the Modify Map Bounds. Using those arrow buttons you can expand the size of your map.

Map sizes must be divisible by 32.

Thus a map can be 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224 and 256. 256 is the tops for the default regular editor.

Since you are preparing to modify your map. You can copy and paste terrain by deselecting all of your tools - hit the shift key. Then draw a square holding down the left mouse button.

In my editor I can copy and past and turn and mirror terrain IF I copy and paste from one map to another. Thus I would suggest that you save your new map as a version 2 and open it, then open up your old map and make spliced copies from that when it comes to terrain.

The larger the area you have selected to copy (past via ctrl+V) the longer it will take for the editor to make that area. Once you have it pasted and the green highlighted area is highlighted, click the Edit menu, you will get things like "Mirror Past Vertically" and other options. Since you have the roads and have to lay them down carefully to get the right texture, copy and pasting may make the process faster.

Level 13
Symmetricalism..

I hate that.

Why don't people ever consider using non-symmetrical cities?

i had a crap terrain i was makeing for someone the town sorta looked like this
I put this town together in like 30 minutes the person just wanted it to look somewhat good.
The houses were just randomly placed

Over head view

Status
Not open for further replies.