• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Size strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Greetings one and all,

If you have a minute, I'd love to hear other opinions on a "strategic" issue.

See, I am working on a fairly massive project, that might use over a hundred custom objects (that cannot be made with the standard warcraft models), and that's a very conservative estimate. So I am thinking about how I can prevent the maps from getting too big (unit/ability-data and imports).

Here is one idea: Certain unit concepts are fairly similar, if not identical in their animations. Do you think it makes sense to import just one custom animated model file as a basis for them all, and then just import the parts that distinguish them (helmets, armor, weapons) as separate attachments?

-less work: having to make fewer animated models
-having fewer animated models and several dozens of unanimated attachments is surely less costly than to have a lot of animated models?
-or do you think the advantages are neutralized by the need for attachment abilities and the overall greater number in (mostly unanimated) models
(example: instead of two model files for two soldier units, you have- one main model, two helmet models, two shield models, two weapon models plus the necessary attachment abilities)?

I'm already using this approach, but I wonder somewhat if I should push it to the extreme. Any suggestions?

Level 6
I dont know how overused you want a model to be and how much it matters for your particular map.
For Ex, If you use a soldier model multiple times.
(1)Add a frostsword import & attach, Change animation colors to (255 - x, 255 - y, 255) to add a blue tint. "Unit name is Frozen commander"
(2)Add a firey blade import & attach, maybe tweak colors a bit or dont. maybe some redish or theme appropriate armor imports. "Unit name is Scorched vangaurd"

Okay so these are not real suggestions just an obvious comparison. So really that could be perceived as easily the same unit used differently or if you tried hard enough and the theme fit it would make more sense and look pretty diverse while still using 1 animated + portrait unit model.

Better understanding how your uses of the models come to life would help me suggest changes of course. And is it a pimp my peon type of deal? that map used peons and all attatchments lol only played it a few times though.

Level 13
You don't have to use abilities for attaching models to each other. So go for the attachment approach, it saves size drastically.

Sorry, total noob here, aparently, since I have no idea what that "attachment approach" is. Did a quick search but didn't find it. Can you show me where this is explained? Would be awesome.

• Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
Attachments work exactly like abilities do, except they are placed ingame and placed manually.
For attachment help you might want to check out Attachment And Special Effects Tutorial
The thing about attachments through triggers is that you must remove it before a unit leaves the map (dies and decays) or it will create a leak. If you are not familiar with leaks then check this out Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts Tutorial

Keep in mind though that adding attachments through triggers can cause wierd bugs if you don't destroy the effect when the unit dies.

As for saving space, i would say that 100 objects is not an unrealistic number. I believe i have much more in WiF, and you will be fine as long as you properly compress any custom textures with a rate of between 50 and 60 (you can compress textures as you convert them with wc3viewer). You should be able to get a 256x256 texture down below 60kb if you do this.

Anyhow, judging by how you speak about the models, do you intend to model them yourself or do you have a few you want to choose from?

Status
Not open for further replies.