• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Map Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I am making a map and i need to be able to have quite a lot of custom skins/models etc on my map except it is very big. is there a way to compress the files down so that they take up less room.

thanks a lot guys

Level 4
I have / had the same problem, I did the following: One big bunch of filesize is made by skins / .blp files. There are however files that don't do much but have a really high resolution i.e. the .blp from this crate model. It's 256*256, but 64*64 would do it, too, especially in this case where the model is small.

To test it, the models .blp is 171kb! I resized it to 64*64 using psp7 and the new filesize is !! 6.3kb !! Ingame there is almost no difference because the model is very small. Of course this doesn't make sense everywhere, but you can do it with some models.

Another thing you can make smaller is the war3mapPreview.tga file: For a long time, I encoded the .tga file "normal"ly, thus non-compressed. Filesize: About 170kb. Then I tried the "compressed" option, filesize: 70kb.

There are various little things you can change like these, sound files i.e. is another possibility, where you can change quality and compression methods to decrease filesize. But of course this is scratchwork and you must know a bit about encoding/decoding/filesize and what wc3 is still able to read.

klovadis

Level 4
he doesn't have to do this, but maybe he can do it in order to save filesize. There are a lot of graphics that don't really depend on details and thus can be resized. Unluckily many models from this site use insane texture sizes which isn't really necessary.

klovadis

Status
Not open for further replies.