• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Size Increases Every Time I Edit It & Resell Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I've been using MPQ Editor to edit the files, and I've noticed that my map size increases every time I save my changes...so the map is now 14mb from less than 3 when I started. Am I doing something wrong?

I've also been editing the unitbalance.slk file, and I want to change the sell value ex. sell item for x% of its original value, could anyone tell me where it is located?

Thank you very much.

Level 13
So I've been using MPQ Editor to edit the files, and I've noticed that my map size increases every time I save my changes...so the map is now 14mb from less than 3 when I started. Am I doing something wrong?

I've also been editing the unitbalance.slk file, and I want to change the sell value ex. sell item for x% of its original value, could anyone tell me where it is located?

Thank you very much.

you can find it from the gameplay constants... :)

I'm guessing that the MPQ editor isn't compacted yet. Most MPQ editors don't automatically compact the archive because it is a long process for larger MPQs (especially for WoW archives). So when delete a file, the data will still be there (and some data will still be there from adding files, etc.)—it simply marks the item as deleted from the MPQ. That is why it may still have a large file size.

However, compacting will completely rebuild the archive and remove all that excess data. Try doing that and perhaps the file size will go down. If you don't know how to access that feature, just let me know which MPQ editor you're using.

Another reason could be that the files manipulated aren't compressed or aren't flagged for compression. By marking it to be compressed (zlib or bzip2), it should lower the total file size of the MPQ. :)

However, compacting will completely rebuild the archive and remove all that excess data. Try doing that and perhaps the file size will go down. If you don't know how to access that feature, just let me know which MPQ editor you're using.
Oh.. btw I've run into this problem too. I use Ladik's MPQ Editor. What do I do to compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.