• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Size Grows 1-2 KB per Save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
My map grows 1-2 KB each time I save it, even when I don't change anything other than the file name.

For example, let's say I have Map4.w3x. I save it as Map5.w3x, it grows 1 KB.
Then I delete Map5.w3x, save Map4.w3x as Map5.w3x again, and this time it grows by 2 KB instead. This whole time I've only changed the file name, nothing else.

When I cross-reference the two files in WinMPQ, the packed value of War3map.j and (attributes) have each increased 1 KB. What's causing this?

---

This may be related to another problem. Say Map4.w3x works fine in Vexorian's Optimizer. Again, if I merely save it as another file name, like Map5.w3x, trying to optimize that new file throws this error when it's on the "Parsing war3map.j" step:

"Access violation at address 0041FB95 in module 'VXJWTSOPT.exe'. Read of address 636E7542."

Ideas?

The attributes file changes when you save it, and includes info such as the file creation date.

The war3map.j might have a time stamp in the comments, and that might change the file size slightly (comments are removed by the optimizer, so don't worry about it). But all in all, it most likely isn't a big difference. It won't keep going up indefinitely. Sometimes they'll show up as 1 kb larger, but they might just be a few bytes larger, causing the program to round up.

P.S. About the access violation--make sure you close all MPQ editors and close the editor/wc3 when you run it through the optimizer. When two things are accessing one MPQ (e.g. a map), it will usually throw an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.