• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] map protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Have a few questions about map deprotection. Theres a map that hasnt been updated in 5+ years and the developer has quit the community with no contact info.

I want to fix some bugs and also add some new items and units.

I managed to deprotect the map and imported object data from old versions.

Now I can fix a few bugs by editing the jass script. But no matter what I try I cant seem to find the object data that the jass script uses. If I import the jass script into the map it ignores any changes I made to the map regarding units and items.

Does anyone know where its storing the units, items in the mpq?

In the jass script it creates the units in the script and places them, but what im wondering is where the script is getting the object data since it ignores all edits or additions I make to the maps object data.

Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Now I can fix a few bugs by editing the jass script. But no matter what I try I cant seem to find the object data that the jass script uses. If I import the jass script into the map it ignores any changes I made to the map regarding units and items.
Possibly they were converted to .slk files. This is done by tools like w3x2ln or widgitizer. The reason for this is that .slk formatted object data could be made to load faster than its normal World Editor form.

Slk files should be able to be edited by most spreadsheet software. Assuming there were properly formatted. The Warcraft III base data is stored in .slk format inside the CASC storage.

Level 10
The unit and item data is stored in war3map.doo and war3mapUnits.doo. Use an MPQ archive viewer (there are several, use google and your best judgement), extract the files and read up on the w3x file format.

...unless the files have been converted to .slk. Then listen to super good guy above.

Edit: I'm totally wrong, the custom objects file is called war3map.w3o

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The unit and item data is stored in war3map.doo and war3mapUnits.doo. Use an MPQ archive viewer (there are several, use google and your best judgement), extract the files and read up on the w3x file format.

...unless the files have been converted to .slk. Then listen to super good guy above.
The .doo files contain the data for the pre-placed unit and items. They do not contain object editor data.

Status
Not open for further replies.