• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Protection and Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,

I have tried to implement BOBA map protector into my map, but now I can't get it to be hosted on hosting bots. I been wondering if there is a way to solve this or at least if anyone can suggest another protection method that works with hosting bots?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Vexorian optimize the map and specify it to delete editor only data as well as obfuscate the code. That is about the best "protection" you can get against people modifying your map seeing how WC3 must still be able to read the map files.

All ones that corrupt MPQ structure are not recommended. Not only might they break some third party tools which use general purpose MPQ libraries to process map content (probably what is happening with the hosting robots) but also they are not any more secure as hackers will use specially designed MPQ libraries to bypass them, eg MPQEdit in version 1 mode. If Blizzard ever updated the MPQ code of WC3 the map would also break.

I also recommend that you eventually release an open source version of your map if/when you eventually stop development of it. So many maps have become lost to time due WC3 updates that broke them but no one being able to conveniently repair them due to their original developer quitting WC3 or losing the only unprotected copy of the map.

Reactions: pyf
The best protection is secretive code only a few are aware of. If a file can be read then it can always be read(hacked) and that is quite true in WC3. The best third party tool protections/corruptions you should be using is mostly optimizing only. Use other methods for better paranoia because there is a guide/tutorial for almost every external wc3 program. The only external corruption type that wasn't able to be identified no longer works as well.

Your code and files will always be accessible to everyone as long as whatever you are using them in can be read.

Try vexorian's optimizer with u9slkoptimizer, that's the best in terms of actually being useful without applying extra wasteful useless protection.

Level 2
@Dr Super Good
I don't like the idea of releasing an unprotected version since its my work (thousands of hours of work). As far as I can tell, blizzard do not support custom games developers thats why it doesn't offer a proper encryption.

@Dat-C3
"If a file can be read then it can always be read(hacked)"

Well technically if they had an uploading service and kept an updated encryption key for the uploaded maps and the game this wouldn't be an issue.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I don't like the idea of releasing an unprotected version since its my work (thousands of hours of work). As far as I can tell, blizzard do not support custom games developers thats why it doesn't offer a proper encryption.
You must have misread what I said...
I also recommend that you eventually release an open source version of your map if/when you eventually stop development of it. So many maps have become lost to time due WC3 updates that broke them but no one being able to conveniently repair them due to their original developer quitting WC3 or losing the only unprotected copy of the map.
You see, if you do not do this then your map might end up becoming one of the thousands of ones that no one can play anymore as they no longer work in the latest versions of Warcraft III. As long as you keep maintaining it, it is fine to obfuscate it.

Well technically if they had an uploading service and kept an updated encryption key for the uploaded maps and the game this wouldn't be an issue.
Nope, would still be editable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I did not have enough time to give a full explanation earlier.
Except WC3 must receive the key to decrypt the map data so that it can load the map. The unencrypted version of the map would thus exist inside WC3, which could then be extracted via third party program. People might even write a third party map extraction program which pretends to be Warcraft III and receives the key from the "uploading service" to decrypt the map more conveniently. The end result is not only is an internet connection now required to play single player maps, but the maps are as secure as they are currently.

Encryption works great to stop people eves dropping on communications or accessing data without permission. It does not work in this situation because one needs everyone to be able to access your map inside Warcraft III so that they can play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.