• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map idea: Eragon: Defense of Farten dür

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Eragon: Defense of Farten dür

So?? Who has read the very, very good books "Eragon" and the second in the trilogy, "Eldest" ?
They are written by Christopher Paolini, here are short summary of the first book:

"When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands. . . ."

I have read them in english, and are about to do it in swedish (im from sweden as u may guess :p ) I must say that the way that "magic" works in this world is facinating. I suggest you read theese great books, and then pm me about making a map based on this world.

I have a simple idea of making a quite simple defense, based on a battle in a great dwarven city; Farten Dür. I would really need help making this map, since im not so, lets call it experienced, making big projects.

So for thoose who are intereseted, just write to me down here, and we can use this topic as our forum to see if we can make it happen...

Filled with hope, Lingon!

Level 6

Coming up soon here:

I figured out maybe you all would like to have some more description of how the map should be like, before you say "im in".

First and most important: I will read the book once again to make things clearer. That would take like 7-14 days (maybe faster).
But i can still say, though comprehensive, what it should be like, and what i need.

Map idea is like this:

2 forces:
The alliance with humans, dwarves and some elfs etc

The attacking force of Ur'gals

The humans defend the city, while the ur'gals try to acheive as many objectives as possible.
The scenery, and of course the story must follow the book, of course.

What do i need?
Well, im not good at all making skins, models, icons. Though ive used custom icons, and i can use triggers as well as the other editors. But most important, i can learn fast, and im not stupid :shock: ... hehe.
But seriusly, the map dont need alot of custom things,the story is so outstanding it could make a great map easily. But anyway i need basic help with:

Making,and maybe importing icons
Maybe making skins and models, + using it correctly
Maybe help with making terrain looking better
Advanced triggers

+More brains to think with!! The more people, the better, everyone is different, we need to look at things in different perpectives, so please dare to just be in it for helping with ideas!

A i said more information is coming up...

And important to, this doesnt have to be MY map. I can be a smaller part making it, i dont need no credit for it!

C u soon!

Level 4
The idea sounds...original? enough i suppose...What kind of map would this be? Some sort of AoS, a Hero Defense, A defend the castle type map? What? As for me helping i would not mind giving ideas or doing some terrain if need be.. I am more or less focused on my project ATM but I can help here and there.
GL

Level 4
It's Eragon...so basically it's defending the city of Farthen Dur (can't make the...thing on the u with my computer) from the Urgals and from Durza (or however you spell it) The Urgals would come from the tunnels, and Derza would try to penetrate the city defenses by himself. If you want to follow the book, however, you should make the Urgals unally each other if Durza dies. Just don't forget the Kull and stuff.

I'd be glad to offer what assistance I can as far as triggers and things.

Level 6
Thanks! So xander, seems like u've read it. well as i said, i am reading it once more to remember it all, and to make the alliances mobile would be an interesting thing. And yes, thats what urgals do when they loose their leader.

Well exactly how the map is supposed to be... i havent figured yet. But the thing is, as i also said, im not thinking of this as MY map, so any idea is welcome. But the basic idea is to have kinda original, u get one hero, depending on your alliance and race. Though i do not know if you shopuld be able to pick heroes or not, because i dont want a totally AoS.

Im thinking about if the forces should be player controlled, or if a comp should take care of that (like in DotA), or if they should be both ontroled by player/comps... what do you think?

So map-maker (you havent read the book/s?), and specially xander, your "help is most welcome. I just hope that more people are interested, so we can get it going with a few more guys.

So all of you who are interested, tell me plz!

PS. I forgot yesterday; plz visit this site for more information about the books: http://www.alagaesia.com/

Level 4
Well...First off:
Farthen Dur Heroes: The dwarf guy, I forget his name. Eragon, of course. Murtag, The King, I forget his name as well. Elf...lady (Havent read the book in quite a while)

Farthen Dur Units: dwarven warriors, humans, I'm not sure if there would be elves or not

Urgal Heroes: Durza, Several Urgal Captains

Urgal Units: Urgals (of course!), Kull

Well...it's ideas at least.

Level 6
Ok map-maker, i just didnt know if u've read them or not.

Well, you are asking for the map type. As i said, i dont really know, i'll try figure out a good one, but whaat do you all think it should be?

Me myself was thinking about like, a 5 vs 5, each have 1 hero, of course, and the forces have 1 comp player each. But i dont know how controll over the forces should be like.

But ok, basic idea then, a kind of hero defense, (maybe you should control some units to?).
The urgals are supposed to be the assaulting force, so they should have a lot more recousres and units overall.

Hero ideas for the moment:

Ajihad Human king.

Angela Mysterious woman, using magic.

Arya Elven warrior.

Eragon the dragon rider.

Saphira eragons dragon.

The Twins ??? Or, cause their role is so complex.

Glenwing Elven warrior.

Hrotgar dwarven king.

Jormundur human warrior.

Murtagh human warrior.

Well thats a lot of choices, so we have a lot to think about. Theese were the "good" heroes, coming up with the evil ones soon.

Level 6
So xander, u seem atleast a little interested, will you help with some things with the map? I will try to start it, and see if it works out nice.

First of all im trying to orgineze the stuff. What needs to be done first etc.
Some simple things you can help me with:

Drawing a map over the city in farten dür using the book as base of course.

Checking out what heroes and units can be used

Figure out how the magic should work which could be quite complicated. My idea is that using spells drain your hp.

Checking book for matching items and stuff

And of course, what map type it should be, nr of players, forces etc.

Otherwise it seems like im the onlu guy who are in to this thing... so i have to do it myself (of course ask for general help when needed)

Please folks, interested in helping, just tell here.

still, if you would like to, visit http://www.alagaesia.com/

Level 4
I would be glad to help with what I can. :)

I did a map of Alagaesia for my book project (it was a board game), so I have a general idea of where Farthen Dur is located and what some of the place should look like.

Level 6
Ok, now i will try to get things going.

First, i'll have to finish the book (im like on page 150/500 now), and if you want t help with making the map over the city Tronjheim, make items, hero ideas and such, you should re-read the book. Or atleast skim through it.

To organize the work, we need to know what to do first. The most important thing is to draw the map over Tronjheim, and then make the basic terrain for the map. To help with that, you could just jump to the chapters where Eragon first enters Farten dür and Tronjheim. Check out descriptions over the place (to make it easy to share, write some important ones down) and how the place is basically built up.

That is our first task.

I will come back tomorrow i guess, and soon i'll be able to check out tronjheim myself.

Level 4
The map will need to be huge, after all there are mountains surrounding Farthen Dur and a winding river leading up to a giant stone wall with a lake in front of it. Hmm...I'll try to read the parts that give a good description of Farthen Dur so I have a better idea.

Level 6
No need to be huge... why? Whe dont need the mountains surrounding, just the city tronjheim and the battlefield.

Still reading the book, on page 230/500.

Level 4
I was just suggesting that you use the river and lake in front of the entrance for effect.

Ugh. I'm confused, what is Tronjheim again?

Level 6
Tronjheim is the dwarven city, in the mountain named Farten Dür. Hrothgar, the dwarven king, rules over the city, but alot of humans from the warden also lives there.

Im getting closer to farten dür in the book, so i will soon start with the map over the city tronjheim. Though, i have alot to do in school right now, and you will probably hear from me the upcoming weekend.

I need 2 know xander, are you getting somwhere? Found anything interesting in the book yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.