• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Genre Explaination

Level 31
Aeon of Strife
The original Aeon of Strife originates from Starcraft and is believed to have been created by aeon64.

It was a map that consisted of 3 lanes that connected 2 opposing teams that combated against one another until victory was achieved by destroying the opposing team's main structure.

It can be considered as the mother of all warcraft 3 AoS-style maps that currently exist such as DotA, 3 Corridor, Rising of Exile, and so on.

As the popularity of AoS-style maps grew, it soon was declared as a genre/type for all the maps that share similiarities with the original, though nobody knows when this happened.
Altered Melee
Altered Melee-style gameplay is similar to the melee map, but is slightly different in comparison with melee as it contains a custom race apart from the usual (human, orc, undead, and nightelf) such as draenei, dragon, and so on.
Hero Arena
Hero Arena is a genre that is similiar to the situation of a Roman gladiator, where several players combat against one another using a single character until one party is defeated.

At the beginning, players have the option to select one hero out of countless varieties that are available. As soon as the selection is done, the players are encouraged to level up their heroes and make them as strong as possible before they engage in a duel with an opposing player.

However, not every Arena-style map follows these rules. Some have pvp combat commence even whilst players are building their characters.
Campaign
Campaigns are a single file that consists of multiple map where a player has to accomplish a mission objective before they can move on to the next map.

Campaign file extensions are often known as wc3n and the data in the campaign is often shared by multiple maps. That means that if anybody were to extract the map right out of the campaign editor, it would be unplayable and nothing would show in the world editor (except for errors).

Campaigns are usually a compilation of a rather long and complicated story that is directed at a race or character (depending on the campaign storyline).

Although there are map makers that have created multiplayer campaigns where maps are not compiled into a single campaign file (in order to allow for multiple players to play it at the same time), they cannot fall under this category simply because they are not campaign files.
Capture the Flag
Simply known as CTF, this map style usually consists of two teams combating against one another in a mission to retrieve the opposing team's flag whilst keeping their own from being captured.

The team that capture the opponent flag would earn scores and the team with the highest scored at the end of the time or reaching the max scores won.
Cinematic
Maps that fall under this category are often presented as a motion picture and are thus unplayable. They are used merely to watch and often depict the story of a character within the cinematic.
Defense/Survival
Maps in this genre often involve a player having to defend a structure/unit or survive until all enemy waves have been repelled or the times runs out.
Escape/Maze
Escape/Maze-style maps often involve a case where a player has to solve a puzzle (or multiple puzzles) in order to reach their destination and win the game.

However, they could also simply involves a situation where an player would have to maneuver their character carefully across the obstables they are going to encounter.
Footmen Wars/Footmen Frenzy
This genre often involves a situation where a player has a barracks that mass produces units every few seconds and it is up to the player him/herself to handle resources wisely in order to gain the upper hand in their plight to destroy their opponent's barracks (and ergo achieve victory).
Arena
Similar to a Hero Arena as they share many of the same attributes. However, they may differ slightly as an arena-style map might involve structures, units, and others elements hero arenas simply do not have.
Life of a Peasant/LOAP
LOAP is a genre where the gameplay involves the day-to-day activities of a person in a community (such as being a merchant, fisherman, and so on). However, some maps of this specific theme involve more than that and include features such as being a criminal, cop, and so on.
Melee
Melee map is a genre where player choose one of the four race (Human, Orc, Undead or Night Elf) and combat with another player till victory was achieve by destroying every single structure belong to the foes.

Melee map is a map that involves editing of terrain and placement of neutral structure and creep. It was a map that does not involves any editing of object editor or import of custom material.

However, there is often an dispute involving custom material being permitted to be used for melee map genre if it was ment for destructible/doodad object in order to enchances the terrain and not to be used to create custom unit/races.
Mini-Game
Mini-Game maps are often rather simple and easily understood. The map may focus on one mini game only or it may involve multiple mini games.

An example of mini games map would be like Tic-Tac-Toe.
Miscellaneous/Other
Maps that are a combination of two or more genres or simply unfit in any other category are often labelled Miscellaneous/Other.
Offense
Offense-style maps are where the player objective is to destroy or capture a specific structure, unit, location, etc.
Role Playing Game/RPG
RPG (Role Playing Game) is a genre where the player controls a hero and has to complete quests and/or kill creeps to gain experience.
They usually have an extended gameplay, a lot of items, creeps and multiple advanced systems to improve the game(play).

All other systems (the way you learn/use spells, the quests, or any misc systems) can vary from game to game, although they are required elements.

The difference between ORPG's and RPG's is that the first contains a save/load system so you can continue playing with your character over several games (in multiplayer), while an RPG does not and you have to create a new character every time you play.
Because of this, the entire structure of the game is different: while it is possible to 'finish' an RPG in 2 hours (or even less), an ORPG takes at least double the amount (sometimes even days on end to get fully equipped), this also means that ORPG's must contain additional systems to add some excitement and make the game worthy for taking a longer time.
Shooting/FPS
FPS are a type of 3D shooter game, featuring a first person point of view with which the player sees the action through the eyes of the player character. They are unlike third person shooters which are seen from the back or side, allowing the gamer to see the character they are controlling. The primary design element is combat, mainly involving firearms.
Strategy/Risk
Template/Terrain
Terrains are maps that contain well developed terrains that are ready to be implemented into a playable map. In other words, they are maps that can be considered to be at beta stage when it comes to terrain, but alpha stage when it comes to other fields such as object editor and trigger editor work.

Templates are the same with terrain except they include the basic setup for other fields (such as the trigger editor) and focus more on one genre only.

For example, a terrain map could be used as any genre (such as an rpg, cinematic, or strategy). But a template map could only be used as one genre such as a hero arena (if the template was built for the hero arena genre).

In this case, the basic setup of the trigger editor for this template would be more likely to include things such as a hero revival system, duel system and creep respawn system; rendering the template unfit for other genres such as survival or cinematic.
Tower Defense
Tower Defense aka TD was usually an map where a player was given an builder to build an structure that would annihilate any enemy that are running around the path that was designated before it reach the destination or flooded the entire map as failure to do so would resulted into loss of lives or game over.

Last edited:
Level 10
Grammer fixes, hope this helps:

Aeon of Strife
The original Aeon of Strife originates from Starcraft and is believed to have been created by aeon64.

It was a map that consisted of 3 lanes that connected 2 opposing teams that combated against one another until victory was achieved by destroying the opposing team's main structure.

It can be considered as the mother of all warcraft 3 AoS-style maps that currently exist such as DotA, 3 Corridor, Rising of Exile, and so on.

As the popularity of AoS-style maps grew, it soon was declared as a genre/type for all the maps that share similiarities with the original, though nobody knows when this happened.
Altered Melee
Altered Melee-style gameplay is similar to the melee map, but is slightly different in comparison with melee as it contains a custom race apart from the usual (human, orc, undead, and nightelf) such as draenei, dragon, and so on.
Hero Arena
Hero Arena is a genre that is similiar to the situation of a Roman gladiator, where several players combat against one another using a single character until one party is defeated.

At the beginning, players have the option to select one hero out of countless varieties that are available. As soon as the selection is done, the players are encouraged to level up their heroes and make them as strong as possible before they engage in a duel with an opposing player.

However, not every Arena-style map follows these rules. Some have pvp combat commence even whilst players are building their characters.
Campaign
Campaigns are a single file that consists of multiple map where a player has to accomplish a mission objective before they can move on to the next map.

Campaign file extensions are often known as wc3n and the data in the campaign is often shared by multiple maps. That means that if anybody were to extract the map right out of the campaign editor, it would be unplayable and nothing would show in the world editor (except for errors).

Campaigns are usually a compilation of a rather long and complicated story that is directed at a race or character (depending on the campaign storyline).

Although there are map makers that have created multiplayer campaigns where maps are not compiled into a single campaign file (in order to allow for multiple players to play it at the same time), they cannot fall under this category simply because they are not campaign files.
Capture the Flag
Simply known as CTF, this map style usually consists of two teams combating against one another in a mission to retrieve the opposing team's flag whilst keeping their own from being captured.

The team that capture the opponent flag would earn scores and the team with the highest scored at the end of the time or reaching the max scores won.
Cinematic
Maps that fall under this category are often presented as a motion picture and are thus unplayable. They are used merely to watch and often depict the story of a character within the cinematic.
Defense/Survival
Maps in this genre often involve a player having to defend a structure/unit or survive until all enemy waves have been repelled or the times runs out.
Escape/Maze
Escape/Maze-style maps often involve a case where a player has to solve a puzzle (or multiple puzzles) in order to reach their destination and win the game.

However, they could also simply involves a situation where an player would have to maneuver their character carefully across the obstables they are going to encounter.
Footmen Wars/Footmen Frenzy
This genre often involves a situation where a player has a barracks that mass produces units every few seconds and it is up to the player him/herself to handle resources wisely in order to gain the upper hand in their plight to destroy their opponent's barracks (and ergo achieve victory).
Arena
Similar to a Hero Arena as they share many of the same attributes. However, they may differ slightly as an arena-style map might involve structures, units, and others elements hero arenas simply do not have.
Life of a Peasant/LOAP
LOAP is a genre where the gameplay involves the day-to-day activities of a person in a community (such as being a merchant, fisherman, and so on). However, some maps of this specific theme involve more than that and include features such as being a criminal, cop, and so on.
Melee
Mini-Game
Mini-Game maps are often rather simple and easily understood. The map may focus on one mini game only or it may involve multiple mini games.

An example of mini games map would be like Tic-Tac-Toe.
Miscellaneous/Other
Maps that are a combination of two or more genres or simply unfit in any other category are often labelled Miscellaneous/Other.
Offense
Offense-style maps are where the player objective is to destroy or capture a specific structure, unit, location, etc.
Role Playing Game/RPG
Shooting/FPS
Strategy/Risk
Template/Terrain
Terrains are maps that contain well developed terrains that are ready to be implemented into a playable map. In other words, they are maps that can be considered to be at beta stage when it comes to terrain, but alpha stage when it comes to other fields such as object editor and trigger editor work.

Templates are the same with terrain except they include the basic setup for other fields (such as the trigger editor) and focus more on one genre only.

For example, a terrain map could be used as any genre (such as an rpg, cinematic, or strategy). But a template map could only be used as one genre such as a hero arena (if the template was built for the hero arena genre).

In this case, the basic setup of the trigger editor for this template would be more likely to include things such as a hero revival system, duel system and creep respawn system; rendering the template unfit for other genres such as survival or cinematic.
Tower Defense
Tower Defense (a.k.a. TD) is generally a map where a player is given a builder that can build structures that are capable of annihilating any enemy that runs nearby. Enemies run according to a pre-set path that was designated before game.
Note: I am too tired to continue it today, will add more genre explanation soon.

EDIT - The last tower defense one was a bit confusing, but I tried to re-word it best I could. I was very tired when I did this, so it may not all be legit, but I hope it helps.

Level 31
I don't see how this is a tutorial as much as it is a... due to lack of a good word, I'll just go ahead and say that I see little point in this being approved. It teaches nothing but the obvious.

Tell me how many people knew it? Some could not even makes the difference between template and terrain.

Just look at map section, some people labelled an rpg map as melee map and so on.

Level 31
The same information this tutorial teaches can surely be found on google. Now tell me, if the incorrectly labeling guy didn't google the information, what makes you think he'll search for a tutorial containing the information? He won't.

Seriously enough!! who is going to google it? If I already known the existences of those wc3 website that I used to surf at it, why would I use google to search for it when I could directly search it at the site? Some people have the tedency to gives up because they could not search what they are looking for.

It doesn't hurt for us to have such a information at this site.

Those are the people who aren't going to read your tutorial.

Then we can direct them to this thread. Just because they don't know doesn't mean they cannot be guide.

Level 24
And directing them to this tutorial will help these users how? If you fail at properly labeling a map, then only an intelligence buff will (or rather might) help you, and this tutorial doesn't offer that. To the graveyard with this uselessness, I say.

Level 28
Linaze, as an ex-map mod you should know better.
How many people say that their map is "like dota" and put the type to everything BUT AoS?
Or people who set the type to "melee", yet their map contains custom objects and/or triggers.
There are a lot of other examples (mainly Template/Terrain, Mini-game and Escape/Maze).

I find this very useful and if people who can't even get the type of their map correct do not read this, I simply reject their map.
As a matter of fact: I bookmarked this page and will show it to everyone who does such a blasphemous thing again, graveyarded or not.

I hope you'll finish it soon, Septimus ^^
(also, your English is pretty good in this thread).

Edit: I'm also thinking about a tutorial on how to click the "Update" button instead of the "Upload" button now... =.=

Level 31
rpg, fps and strategy are the only genre i have not complete yet.. i am way too busy with my personal life, my campaign + hive battlefield project, some b*llsh*t goes around at map section and etc etc.

if anybody want to help me fill in the rest of this 3 genre (which is not difficult), feel free to post it here. If it as accurate as it should be, I would paste it into the main post.

Level 28
(Open) Role Playing Game
RPG (Role Playing Game) is a genre where the player controls a hero and has to complete quests and/or kill creeps to gain experience.
They usually have an extended gameplay, a lot of items, creeps and multiple advanced systems to improve the game(play).

All other systems (the way you learn/use spells, the quests, or any misc systems) can vary from game to game, although they are required elements.

The difference between ORPG's and RPG's is that the first contains a save/load system so you can continue playing with your character over several games (in multiplayer), while an RPG does not and you have to create a new character every time you play.
Because of this, the entire structure of the game is different: while it is possible to 'finish' an RPG in 2 hours (or even less), an ORPG takes at least double the amount (sometimes even days on end to get fully equipped), this also means that ORPG's must contain additional systems to add some excitement and make the game worthy for taking a longer time.
If this is good enough for your demands, I might do the FPS and Strategy as well.

Level 14
Risk
Risk is where a player starts off with multiple bases (Could be spread apart or together) and his or her main goal is to capture more bases! Usually in most risks there is a circle of power at the front of the base/building and if that unit would be killed the unit that killed the 'guard' would become the new guard and player that owns this new 'guard' would become the owner of the base!
Risk is usually income based, and the units are trained from the bases.But sometimes in some risks there are things known as regions! A region is group of bases close together and when one player controls a region they usually get benefits such as extra income or a unit spawn.
WIP. You can ADD/EDIT/REMOVE this if you want.
I just wanted to contribute. OH BTW Good luck.

Level 22
Grammer fixes, hope this helps:

EDIT - The last tower defense one was a bit confusing, but I tried to re-word it best I could. I was very tired when I did this, so it may not all be legit, but I hope it helps.

I'm not sure someone can give a 'Grammar' fix if they miss-spell grammar and have a few grammar mistakes of their own. :p
Septimus' English is more than acceptable in this thread.

On-Topic: What about SotDRP maps?

Level 6
I'm not sure why people early on were saying no one would check this out. In fact, Hive is the FIRST place I decided to check when I was thinking about what my map projects were categorized as. Very useful... not so much a tutorial as a reference sheet. Thanks for writing this up!