1. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Map Genre Explaination

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Septimus, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    (Open) Role Playing Game
    RPG (Role Playing Game) is a genre where the player controls a hero and has to complete quests and/or kill creeps to gain experience.
    They usually have an extended gameplay, a lot of items, creeps and multiple advanced systems to improve the game(play).

All other systems (the way you learn/use spells, the quests, or any misc systems) can vary from game to game, although they are required elements.

The difference between ORPG's and RPG's is that the first contains a save/load system so you can continue playing with your character over several games (in multiplayer), while an RPG does not and you have to create a new character every time you play.
    Because of this, the entire structure of the game is different: while it is possible to 'finish' an RPG in 2 hours (or even less), an ORPG takes at least double the amount (sometimes even days on end to get fully equipped), this also means that ORPG's must contain additional systems to add some excitement and make the game worthy for taking a longer time.

If this is good enough for your demands, I might do the FPS and Strategy as well.

2. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Risk
    Risk is where a player starts off with multiple bases (Could be spread apart or together) and his or her main goal is to capture more bases! Usually in most risks there is a circle of power at the front of the base/building and if that unit would be killed the unit that killed the 'guard' would become the new guard and player that owns this new 'guard' would become the owner of the base!
    Risk is usually income based, and the units are trained from the bases.But sometimes in some risks there are things known as regions! A region is group of bases close together and when one player controls a region they usually get benefits such as extra income or a unit spawn.
    WIP. You can ADD/EDIT/REMOVE this if you want.

I just wanted to contribute. OH BTW Good luck.

3. Septimus

Septimus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yup.. this is what i want.

4. Septimus

Septimus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hard to define strategy/risk genre.. could some1 help me define it.. i am afraid i might not be good to explain the strategy/risk genre.

5. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure someone can give a 'Grammar' fix if they miss-spell grammar and have a few grammar mistakes of their own. :p
    Septimus' English is more than acceptable in this thread.

On-Topic: What about SotDRP maps?

6. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Good enough grammar and good enough tutorial. ~Approved.

7. Orcnet

Orcnet

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice

This is Good! It helps me understand the differences of each maps, Thanks for the tutorial! :grin:

8. Ochibi

Ochibi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure why people early on were saying no one would check this out. In fact, Hive is the FIRST place I decided to check when I was thinking about what my map projects were categorized as. Very useful... not so much a tutorial as a reference sheet. Thanks for writing this up!

9. Fenrok

Fenrok

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is usefull :D
    I had no idea what LoaP was xD

10. Atreus

Atreus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Useful tutorial