• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

Map crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, so this is not my map, I edited it, but the terrain is from Turnro's famous Rowan the Wise custom campaign. I have a problem that I cannot resolve. My game keeps crashing while playing and it happens at random intervals. I've checked out the gameplay to see what could the factors be for it crashing, but I haven't found anything useful, my only speculation is that there has to be something in the triggers that's bugging the map. I recently added a few victory/defeat conditions and that's when it started to go downhill, before that, it ran like clockwork. So I'm wondering if anyone here can review it and hopefully find the issue, because apparently I'm not experienced enough in the area of debugging.

Attachments

• the map.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Level 4
It was either this or the other one. Either way, this map was originally made with the 1.32 or 1.31 version, I can't remember. Although I'm working with 1.35, the latest version, I don't think it's due to the version, in fact, I'm pretty sure it has to be something with the triggers because this never happened before. The issue exactly is crashing, that's the only issue. The only modifications I made were adding those new victory/defeat conditions, which are distinctly present and visible. If it's a possibility for triggers to make a game crash because it intertwines with another, IF possible, then perhaps it could be the factor, OR, if simply because a trigger keeps happening (for example you have a region and you make it so that whenever a unit crosses it will do something) without turning it off (if you even have to, it's arbitrary, like for instance, making it so that when a unit enters a region it will claim something [buildings, units...]). I'm sorry if this seems too complex, but I'm trying to give the best, detailed and helpful response I can.

Level 24
It was either this or the other one. Either way, this map was originally made with the 1.32 or 1.31 version, I can't remember. Although I'm working with 1.35, the latest version, I don't think it's due to the version, in fact, I'm pretty sure it has to be something with the triggers because this never happened before. The issue exactly is crashing, that's the only issue. The only modifications I made were adding those new victory/defeat conditions, which are distinctly present and visible. If it's a possibility for triggers to make a game crash because it intertwines with another, IF possible, then perhaps it could be the factor, OR, if simply because a trigger keeps happening (for example you have a region and you make it so that whenever a unit crosses it will do something) without turning it off (if you even have to, it's arbitrary, like for instance, making it so that when a unit enters a region it will claim something [buildings, units...]). I'm sorry if this seems too complex, but I'm trying to give the best, detailed and helpful response I can.
The game usually crashes when one or more triggers go into infinite loop and that causes a fatal error that completely crashes the game, check that the triggers you added turn on and off when they should and that they don't loop. I can't help you more because I don't work with 1.32+ maps and I can't open, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of loop because it's about the only thing that can cause the game to crash.

Level 4
Would you be willing to give it a look on the 1.31.1 version? I used Drake's Map Adapter to make it accessible to the classic WE.

Attachments

• the map but it works for classic WE.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Level 24
Would you be willing to give it a look on the 1.31.1 version? I used Drake's Map Adapter to make it accessible to the classic WE.
The added triggers are wrong, when you create a condition such as "whenever a unit dies - X action" that should only occur once such as victory or defeat, you have to turn off that trigger, otherwise it will continue to execute a y again. From what I could see, taking a quick look at it, you don't turn off any triggers or specify the conditions correctly, it's normal for the game to crash. You must organize the triggers correctly and turn them off as they no longer need to be executed and according to exactly what you want to happen.

Attachments

• the map but it works for classic WE.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Level 4
For some reason it keeps crashing and I can't get a hold of why. But I caught something interesting and weird at the same time. You saw the map, so you're familiar with the gray base on the south-west that's right underneath the teal base. Whenever I attack there, that's when it crashes. And it doesn't crash anywhere else. Why is that?
Edit: I don't know if it crashed for you, if you play tested it yourself. Maybe in fact it could have something to do with the version after all.
Edit 2: Nevermind, it crashed now in the teal base as well. Pretty unusual.

Last edited:
Level 21
How did you debug?

I would place units near grays base to simulate an attack.
I would turn off some or all of the triggers.

The crash occurs when a Worker (Blood Elf) ends the Call To Arms ability. The reason is because the custom unit Militia has the Normal Form Unit set to Peasant. Its fixed by setting it to Worker (Blood Elf).

Level 24
For some reason it keeps crashing and I can't get a hold of why. But I caught something interesting and weird at the same time. You saw the map, so you're familiar with the gray base on the south-west that's right underneath the teal base. Whenever I attack there, that's when it crashes. And it doesn't crash anywhere else. Why is that?
Edit: I don't know if it crashed for you, if you play tested it yourself. Maybe in fact it could have something to do with the version after all.
Edit 2: Nevermind, it crashed now in the teal base as well. Pretty unusual.
I didn't fix the map, I just turned off some triggers, to make it work, it's best to redo all the triggers. I guess you are new to this so the best advice I can give you is to download and open with the editor some quality resources on the forum and see how things are done. There is also a lot of information and guides on how to do things, you can ask questions as you progress. As for this map, it doesn't seem like you want to do anything complex, if you want, send me privately message and I'll help you.

Regards.

Level 4
How did you debug?

I would place units near grays base to simulate an attack.
I would turn off some or all of the triggers.

The crash occurs when a Worker (Blood Elf) ends the Call To Arms ability. The reason is because the custom unit Militia has the Normal Form Unit set to Peasant. Its fixed by setting it to Worker (Blood Elf).
I didn't even realise that, but it does make sense now when I think about it because it only happened in the elf bases, thank you!
I didn't fix the map, I just turned off some triggers, to make it work, it's best to redo all the triggers. I guess you are new to this so the best advice I can give you is to download and open with the editor some quality resources on the forum and see how things are done. There is also a lot of information and guides on how to do things, you can ask questions as you progress. As for this map, it doesn't seem like you want to do anything complex, if you want, send me privately message and I'll help you.

Regards.
Yeah, I'm not the best at this, that's why I always ask for help when I am unable to do something myself. Thank you as well and I'll keep your offer in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.