1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Making Jaina have 3 spell animations

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by darwin, Jan 11, 2018.

1. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have a unit based on the Jaina model. They have three spells, each with a different color. I would like to make the Jaina.mdx model have 3 spell animations (they can look the same) but each use a different BlizParticle with different colors.

I don't know a lot about modelling, but I used the War3 Model Editor v1.07 to add a new BlizParticle emitter and color it appropriately. It now plays along side the original blue one when the spell animation is called.

I also made two new animations called Spell 2 and Spell 3 by copying the same values in the "spell" animation. The model editor plays these animations fine; but they use both the original blue emitter and the green emitter I made.

It looks like the emitters are assigned to only appear during one animation based on the sequence number. I don't know how to modify the sequences at all... is that something that can be done? I've attached the model here if that helps.

Darwin

Attached Files:

2. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hi Darwin I've just had a glance at your model. If you open up the Sequence Editor tab in the Model Editor (Magos), you'll see that Spell, Spell 2, and Spell 3 share the same exact animation frames. That's the reason for the problem you're experiencing.

For the way that models are set up in warcraft 3, you cannot re-use the frames of an existing animation to perform another (in your case to change the color of a particle).
    Making two alternate Spell sequences is the right way to go, but by doing what you did you actually just renamed the same old Spell sequence.
    You need to duplicate the same frames of Spell and put them at the end of the whole set of frames for all the animations in the model. At that point you can apply changes such as changes to the color of particles.

Also, although I'm not an expert, I'd suggest to use names such as "Spell Throw" and "Spell Slam" instead of "Spell 2" and "Spell 3". This way you can be sure that the three differently-colored animations can be used by the correct abilities.

3. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid I don't know how to "duplicate the same frames of Spell and put them at the end of the whole set of frames." I think I know what you mean... essentially make three animations that are all the same. Can this be done in the War Model Editor?

4. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Here you are.
    Now she has a "Spell" which is blue like normal, a "Spell Slam" with a red hue, and a "Spell Throw" with a green hue.
    You just set the appropriate animation name tag in the spell data inside of the object editor

Keep in mind that the three names that I suggested may not be optimal and that you can rename the sequences as "Spell One", "Spell Two", and "Spell Three" anytime you want.

Attached Files:

5. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Beautiful, thanks so much!