1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Making a model gradually transparent? (material animation)

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Matarael, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Matarael

Matarael

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Let's say I want my model to gradually disappear when it dies, so not knowing how to do this I added a Geoset Animation piece and animated the Alpha to the geoset I want disappearing.

But doing so just makes it poof out of existence, and I want it to gradually become more and more transparent in the duration of its death animation.

How do I go about and do this?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, it does gradually disappear, you just can't see it in the Model Editor. Mods lock this topic please.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wait, wait... WHAT??!!?! You mean that it WILL gradually dissapear in wc3 if you just animate geoset alpha?!
    I tried to solve this in a million different ways - usually i use a double material where one is blend and the above one is transparent, then i hide the transparent material and fade the blend one. Same problem with additive materials, i always end up making them add alpha if i want to fade them out. So stupid and wierd that you would have to do that.

Gotta try this out, i certainly hope you are right.

3. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Only Blend and Add Alpha support gradual alpha change. Yes, it's fine if you animate the geoset alpha and use a linear interpolation. Note, however, that if it' a geoset with a team-colored material, the team color will show during the animation as a solid semi-transparent block, though it will disappear at the same time as the other layer.

Also, always edit the geoset alpha in .mdl format and use MdlxConv, not Magos or MdlVis to convert afterwards. Otherwise the alpha value screws up.

4. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am assuming, that if you animate geoset alpha, you will need a start-mid-end key to make it fluid? or is it enough with start-end?

Anyhow, this was all good news, thank you very much!
    You don't happen to know if there are any ways to animate the emission rate of model emitters without having magos crash when reopening? Or if there are any ways to use fixed gravity points (that for instance would pull linked particles in a certain direction) in wc3?

5. Infrisios

Infrisios

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Start-End is okay as long as you interpolate (linear is usually good).

6. Matarael

Matarael

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Perhaps you could simply alpha out the teamcolour geosets before fading out the others?

My model doesn't use teamcolour so I haven't tried this yet.