• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Making a doodad walkable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
How do I make a doodad walkable? I need to make this doodad's walkways and upper floors standable.

57_30629_71d1e9cea04859c.jpg

Level 22
I think you can't. You've got no choice but to use Destructables which can be walkable. Create a custom destructable based on Ramp, Bridge, or invisible platform. Then create a custom pathing so that you can control which part can units only move, or just block them with pathing blockers.

Level 14
You could make that doodad a destructible and then tick the box for walkable in the object editor. Unfortunately this would mean the units would automatically walk on the roof of the upper platforms. It basically takes your unit to the highest possible point on the model if it is walkable.

Level 14
Your best bet is to use invisible platforms which can be found in the object editor under Bridges/Ramps in the Destructibles tab.

You can raise them and lower them using ctrl+PageUp and ctrl+PageDown. Another great thing you can do is change the pitch/roll angle using negative values to set them at the preferred angle. The angles are measured in radians where 180 degrees is 3.14 radians (I think) so common angles to set the pitch and roll to would be -.78 for 45 degrees or -.5 for a lower slope etc.

You can set a negative value by holding shift when you double click the field you want to change. If you want to see what the invisible platforms look like (since they are invisible) replace the model with something visible and put them where you want them and then re-replace the model with the invisible platform model.

Level 3
Your best bet is to use invisible platforms which can be found in the object editor under Bridges/Ramps in the Destructibles tab.

You can raise them and lower them using ctrl+PageUp and ctrl+PageDown. Another great thing you can do is change the pitch/roll angle using negative values to set them at the preferred angle. The angles are measured in radians where 180 degrees is 3.14 radians (I think) so common angles to set the pitch and roll to would be -.78 for 45 degrees or -.5 for a lower slope etc.

You can set a negative value by holding shift when you double click the field you want to change. If you want to see what the invisible platforms look like (since they are invisible) replace the model with something visible and put them where you want them and then re-replace the model with the invisible platform model.

It seems to be what I'm looking for. Just to confirm but the pitch angle of the platforms will also affect the units walking over it right?

EDIT: Btw...what was it that I needed to press to make a group of doodads have the same height?

Level 14
Press Y to make everything have the same height. And yes, if you put the platforms at an angle units walking on it will follow that angle. I use this technique to make custom stairs.

Level 14
You can make the entire model walkable by making it a destructable. Then simply block of "unwalkable" spots in the model with normal pathing blockers.

That looks much cleaner than the reverse (unwalkable model, walkable with platforms).

I agree that it would be ideal to do that but when you get to the top platforms with the roof over it your unit will walk on the roof rather than the platform.

I agree that it would be ideal to do that but when you get to the top platforms with the roof over it your unit will walk on the roof rather than the platform.
Right... forgot about that.

Btw, how about splitting the doodad into several components? I could imagine the engine having issues with such high poly models anyway. Also, you probably want the rooftop parts to go transparent when you walk under them, so you got to do that anyway.

Level 10
EDIT: lol, just read what zwiebelchen wrote before me.... nvm. :)

well you could also, take the model and cut it into several pieces in a model editor (e.g. mdlvis). For example you could make all the parts that are directly walkable or below it one model and every roof a seperate model which you place back into the right position in the WC3 editor by hand. With this you could also make a system that detects if your hero is in an area where a roof is above it and then make the roof transparent sou you can see through it.

Level 3
Right... forgot about that.

Btw, how about splitting the doodad into several components? I could imagine the engine having issues with such high poly models anyway. Also, you probably want the rooftop parts to go transparent when you walk under them, so you got to do that anyway.

I may just do that. I only really enough doodads to make a nice throne room anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.