• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make workers mine more efficently the fewer they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
If I have 16 workers on 16 mineral patches they will make 1000 minerals / minute.

If I have 16 workers on 8 mineral patches they will make 800 minerals / minute.

If I have 8 workers on 8 mineral patches they will make 500 minerals / minute.

(The numbers are just an example)

So it will be more optimal to have workers scattered over several bases then having tons of workers in the same base.

(But of course having 16 workers in one base is still better then having 8 workers in one base. The best thing is to have 16 workers scattered over 2 bases.)

How can this be done?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That is already implimented in some form by just getting it so that if 2 workers are on the same mineral patch they waste some time. This is done by the extraction period blocking other workers from mining the minerals and if the other worker makes it back to the mineral patch before the first worker finishes extracting he will be forced to waste time and so is overall less productive.

Level 10
That is already implimented in some form by just getting it so that if 2 workers are on the same mineral patch they waste some time. This is done by the extraction period blocking other workers from mining the minerals and if the other worker makes it back to the mineral patch before the first worker finishes extracting he will be forced to waste time and so is overall less productive.

How can I do to increase that efficency?
Is there a specific value I can change or something?

Level 11
As Dr. Super Good already mentioned, the "delay" imposed by multiple SCVs on the same mineral patch is caused by the impossibility of two SCVs collecting from the same mineral patch at the same time. While SCV #1 mines, SCV #2 is "waiting". Once the first SCV finishes and starts moving back to the Command Center and then back to the mineral patch, the second SCV starts mining.

There are indirect ways you could make SCVs wait less after one-another:
1. Speed-up mineral gathering time - [Minerals (Mineral Field)] Behavior - tweak Harvest Time. This might not work properly as it affects single SCVs mining behavior too, but it's worth a shot.
2. Slow down SCV movement speed.

Obviously, either alternative affects the behavior of SCVs in other situations too (such as when SCVs mine alone or when the player wishes to move the SCV across the map to perform various tasks).

Naturally, [SCV] term in my explanation can be generically understood as [Worker].

Status
Not open for further replies.