• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make unit not take melee, ranged, magic damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hiya

I've come across a head scratcher...
I want to make an ability that makes the attacker not to take damage from any source, not melee, not ranged and not magic damage. Also, I don't want it to be shown on the unit that is affected by it. So, to clarify, a unit that can be attacked by anyone but will not take damage. Note that it can't be invulnerable, because... I don't want it to. :grin:

Basically, it would be like adding two item abilities or something as soon as it is cast. Which item abilites? :huh:

Level 6
But that would only be available for certain units. I want it to affect different kinds. Otherwise good thinking, better than what I came up with...
I used Hardened Skin, but it shows up in the units frame, and I don't want that. >.<

Level 6
Exclamation marks! I didn't know that when disabling spell book passive spells still works! Awesomeness points for you Skudgemuffin! :smile:

So, I added Spell Damage Reduction from items with reduction at 9999.... and then Hardened Skin from the Night Elves, also maxed out reduction with no minimal damage taken. Now they will not take damage from melee/ranged/magic :grin:

Level 6
Hm, that also works :thumbs_up:
So there are lots of solutions. But I think I'm gonna go with Skudgemuffin's approach, that way I only need to add one ability to the unit.

Level 22
> You could also just remove all of the icons for the ability.

IIRC, it just turns into a green box when you do that.

Disabled spellbooks seem to do well, though. :grin:

I suppose something else you could look at is making the unit have a classification of something like Ancient or other, and disallowing that classification for units to attack. Might be a bit more difficult to do, though.

Level 6
You could also just set the unit's health regen to like 99999999999 per second

Yes... Well the problem with that is that it's not a very cool way to do it.

Using Spell Book and the 2 abilities I mentioned will render the unit virtually invincible, yet attackable, also it will have the same amount of HP when the skill is activated. Meaning, if this unit had 60% hp before, it remains 60% hp for the duration of the spell. A little side bonus is that the unit is able to regenerate, making it even cooler(exclamation marks)!

This ability simulates a "Town Shield", it will be added to all buildings within 2500, just need to do some cool effects for it.
Also gonna make a trigger that shields units as well. I think that will be no problem :)

Thanks for all the tips you gave me.

//ShadowMan

Level 4
Actually... I came across a way to do this while trying to make an ability earlier on. Basically, you know the ability berserk causes a unit to attack faster but take a percentage more damage? I had at one time tried to make a unit attack faster and take a percentage LESS damage, by changing the field in +Damage ratio to a negative value. Unfortunately, this didn't work, and instead made my unit, as you described, completely attackable, but unable to take any kind of damage. This should be a good answer to your question.. hope it helps.

P.S. To enter negative values in the Object Editor, shift-double click the field you want to enter it in. Also, I don't think it matters what value you put in, as long as it's negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.