• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make it NOT happen (3ds max 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Well... I have an ubercool footman model. I envoloped the bones etc correctly.
Problem is with his cape

When I envolop the cape it gets its position changed with a great ammount.
When I move the cape after evoloping it returns to its position when I move the bone.
I tried to Copy cape, same thing happened
I tried to Copy cape as instance and evoloped again, same thing happend

It was in its original position and wasnt have changing position when envoloping
But it position was not correct and I decided to fix it, those things happened...

How to prevent this ?

Thanks for any incoming help attempts.

(well if you say "You cant" its ok I can move them after its done with War3 Model Editor... I found this solution now and I wouldnt ask it if I'd find before. I tought about not posting but want to hear the solution if there is one.)

ALSO

Well for example I have a model and tought I need to edit one of bones... How to do it ? When I delete a bone vertex' return to their starting positions...
Im tired of building skeleton again (rebuilded 4-5 times)

Level 19
skinning ? Im not skinning...
I'll export with Dex' exporter

And if there is a problem with skins I can make last touches with VM for that

Level 19
Did I say Dex ?
Well Im gonna use Art Tools exporter............

Yes I remember exactly I said Dex but umm I wasnt drunk either (I dont drink anyway)
Was too tired

No answers for my question ?
... whatever

TDR

TDR

Level 18
First of all, let's talk a little about terminology. Skinning has been misinterpreted in this entire community as TEXTURING. Skinning is actually the process of weighting the vertices of a mesh to a rig. So you were actually skinning, k? That's if you were expressing yourself correctly, 'cause that's what Blink and I understood from your first post.

Secondly, Art Tools DOES NOT SUPPORT skinning. You have to chop the mesh into different parts (upper leg, lower leg, upper arm, head, chest etc) and directly link them to their respective bones, the engine will automatically fill in the gaps. So you'll have to chop that cape into strips and link each strip to a bone.

Thirdly, you can't directly link vertices to things unless using maxScript, which again art tools does not support.

Level 19
sorry about skinning thing umm My eng is bad

so... :/
thats a little annoying (chopping)
I'll keep using milkshape xD

Level 19
I made model in milkshape
just using 3ds max for animating already
Whatever...

You may close/delete this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.