• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Magecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
A few days ago an idea crawled into my mind.I want to make one of the biggest projects ever made,a multiplayer map with tons of features,tons of choices,a map that you wont get bored with soon...

before i start to drag on about the map,i have to note that the project hasnt even been started properly and that if i want to do this,i would need a bunch of people,terrainers,triggerers,modelers and skinners(not necessary but welcome),JASS scripters etc.

MAGECRAFT

Subtle ain't i?

Ill try to describe my idea,please post suggestions,critics are welcome try to be as decribing and informative as you can be.

The story is tightly connected to the original Warcraft story;only you will not be controlling Footmen,Riflemen or Grunts;your world is a world of Magic,your goal is to master the elements and primarily use spells to beat your opponents.

Gameplay:

-Races

There will be 2 or 3 teams(factions) each with their own set of races.
Your race determines your starting area;your attributes and attribute increase per level;it will also determine to which magic schools you can specialize,for example while Night Elves cant manipulate Fire magicks;the Orcs,Humans and Forsaken cant use Nature spells.

For now,i know its certiain that these races will be in the map:

-Humans

-Night Elves

-Gnomes(need models)

-Forsaken Undead

-Orcs

-Trolls

-Blood Elves

-Tauren

Each race has its own racial ability;Trolls have increased regeneration,The Forsaken can restore their health by consuming corpses(Cannibalize),Night Elves have increased movement and attack speed at night and can shadowmeld...

More races and info will be added later.

-Magic Schools(Classes)

Your magic school will determine your primary attribute;Fire is agility,Frost is intelligence,Nature is strenght etc.

For now,i know there will be these magic schools in the map:

- Fire

- Frost

- Arcane

- Nature

- Holy

- Shadow

- Force

- Lightning

- Voodoo

About 80% of the magic schools will be available to both Alliance and Horde,but sthe rest of them will be only available to certain factions.Each class will have 4 or 5 base spells that you level up regularly by leveling,and a spellbook based spell with up to 11 spells.By gaining levels,the number of spells in your spellbook will automatically increase.

More will be added later.

-Base Gameplay

Im not sure if i should make the map with 2 or 3 teams yet.
Level cap will be about 30 - 35.There will be separate areas for each 5 levels,and a lot of dungeons(requires multiplayer,ill make bosses hard so you cant solo them.)

There will be a couple of game modes,but the main goal will be to destroy the enemy faction's main towns(kill the faction leaders inside).Something like Hordes invading Stormwind in WoW.This wont be an easy task because there will be a lot of level 20 - 25 guards,and the leader himself wont be easy to kill,so the players should level,gather special points by killing enemy heroes and kill bosses for good items before they invade the enemy town.

A lot of Goblins scattered across the map(neutral) will sell most of the items,potions;scrolls;runes etc.

Also there will be a couple of events,for example;a secluded island with a really good boss or a some cool merchants will only be available by boat,and the boat comes by once every 5 minutes,or the towns will send their warriors to attack the enemy towns once every 3 minutes.

Btw unless the mode is deathmatch(a certain number of kills for the enemy team and they win)when you die you will be revived at the nearby graveyard,unless you pay the spirit healer a certain amount of gold to revive you instantly.

Ill update this constantly;if you have any class ideas,event ideas,item ideas or you want to become a part of the Magecraft(name pending) team let me know.

Also let me know if 3 teams sounds better than 2 to you im having second thoughts about this.

Last edited:
Level 12
Umm yeah,logically cause....the story originates from the warcraft lore,the towns used in the map will probably be Crossroads,Brill,Goldshire and other towns from the world of azeroth. it is tightly connected to warcraft,there will be no other races than the ones you saw there,however,classes wont be warriors,rogues and shamans,there will be elemental schools of magic mostly(this doesnt mean that there wont be any tanks,meele agilities and that the gameplay will be the same for every class,this only means that there will be no tanks with ''Slice with you sword for X damage'' abilities.)

Level 12
I started with the terraining today,heres some terrain that ive done so far:

I have to elevate the terrain cause it looks too flat,ill get to that later

picture1yf6.jpg

Some random pond

picture2gr1.jpg

A creek

picture3il4.jpg

Another creek

picture4vn4.jpg

A dungeon entrance

Ill elevate the terrain and add some moonlight beams a bit later,

Level 15
nice terrain :) well i got some ideas for magic classes:
- Fire

- Frost

- Arcane

- Nature

- Holy

- Shadow

- Force

- Lightning

- Voodoo

- Shamanic
The art of herbalism and ressurection/the power to control things made by mother earth. This class might be the one i thought most over, and the one which takes longest time to make. Every thing mother earth made can be enlived! Like if u targe a rock whit a spell, it will become a stone elemental under your control. If u targe a tree it becomes a treant, a burning thingy will make a fire elemental etc. Hmm maybe only Herbalism and ressurection :p

- Drudic
The art of transforming into animals and summon them to aid you

- Demonic
Like Shadow, but focuses on demon summoning and massive destruction

- Bardic :)D) The power to inspire nearby units by melodys and songs, that comes from the heart (LOL!)

hmm that was all for now :D

Last edited:
Level 12
- Shamanic
The art of herbalism and ressurection/the power to control things made by mother earth. This class might be the one i thought most over, and the one which takes longest time to make. Every thing mother earth made can be enlived! Like if u targe a rock whit a spell, it will become a stone elemental under your control. If u targe a tree it becomes a treant, a burning thingy will make a fire elemental etc. Hmm maybe only Herbalism and ressurection :p

A very interesting idea...although it will be hard/impossible i will try it.Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Level 36
Umm yeah,logically cause....the story originates from the warcraft lore,the towns used in the map will probably be Crossroads,Brill,Goldshire and other towns from the world of azeroth. it is tightly connected to warcraft,there will be no other races than the ones you saw there,however,classes wont be warriors,rogues and shamans,there will be elemental schools of magic mostly(this doesnt mean that there wont be any tanks,meele agilities and that the gameplay will be the same for every class,this only means that there will be no tanks with ''Slice with you sword for X damage'' abilities.)

*towns from WoW.

Gnomes don't really even exist in WC3. I advise you try to make it something different, seeing as most RPGs are the same, quest, kill, level up. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to do that. If you want to get a lot of players, make it interesting.

Level 12
-100% originality - Make a completely NEW style,a map never seen before,a map that isnt even close to any other maps out there

-50% originality - use a well-known map type but mix it up with some of your own ideas,maybe with an another map-type (AoS RPG or something)

-0% originality - completely rip off someone else's map,only add you own heroes,items or units that are mostly ripped off too but from a third map.

Aiming for 100% originality is hard,it requires a lot of people,a lot of reasarch,a LOT of time,and a lot of creativity.I cant possibly do this with a team of 3 people(including me) of which one cant even start working because heroes havent been made yet,and one is unable to do anything since his PC broke down.I have school to attend,places to go,and i cant really dedicate 90% of my time to a map before the vacation.

Now i can achieve 50% originality.Even before i knew what RPG meant and before i played any maps except for the ones that blizzard made,i wanted to make something similiar to this project.Yeah its kill,level up(no quests) but spiced up with raiding,events,a bit of AoS,Arena PvP(there will be an arena at the middle of the map and you can teleport there from any town,because the map is big,and its hard for players to look for each other all the time),i might even add 3 teams,add some original triggered spells,custom AI(Pets controlled by AI,some creeps that wont attack unless theyre attacked first)...If you have any ideas(the 1000th time i say this)please enlighten me...i cant really know what most of the people would like unless i get more ideas from other gamers...Id appreciate and +rep anyone whod come up with original gameplay ideas that would help the project...

As for the gnomes...thats what custom models are for :)

Level 12
Ill send the map to you in a couple of days,me and WildField are finishing WoW Wars atm,should be done soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.