• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mac OS and custom icons - any known fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to bring this up, and if so, please direct me to the right forum.

As some of you probably know, there is a bug in the OSX version of WC3 when playing custom maps, where the game will crash upon displaying custom icons. Searching around the internet hasn't been very helpful, but what little I've found indicates that the crash happens because, for some maps, custom icons imported (exported?) from a program called Button Manager at certain compression levels are not compatible.

Is there anything you can do on the user-end (i.e., not the map-maker) to permanently or temporarily fix this issue? As you can imagine, this hampers mac-users' ability to play some rather cool and interesting maps! :)

I hope anyone has some more info on this!

What info I have, I got from the following places on the internet (incl. an old thread from the Hive):
Mac + certain map = crash on selection | The Helper
Crash with some maps using custom .blp's...why? | The Helper
[Crash] - List of WarCraft III Crashes

Level 1
Haha what, didn't expect new updates to suddenly roll out so fast that I had to keep up! I will report back here once I've had a chance to test it. Luckily we have access to Windows, OSX and Linux machines so we have a pretty good environment for testing and narrowing down bugs.

Level 1
The issue seems to be gone. To elaborate, a lot of maps that used to crash, presumably when displaying specific custom icons, work smoothly now, though custom icons are sometimes not displayed. A few maps still seem to crash when displaying specific icons (I remember the newer versions of Guilds of Hyppos, of the top of my head) but it's hard to say if it's the same problem occurring.

This is really lovely, since it means that Mac users can play a lot of the newer, more detailed maps that would crash before (and the rest of us don't have to miss out of Sunken City because our friends have a weird taste is OS!).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
though custom icons are sometimes not displayed
BLP files with JPEG content and at least 1 invalid mipmap level (required mipmap resolves to invalid JPEG file) will fail to load now. Before they used to load or I suspect they crashed on mac.
A few maps still seem to crash when displaying specific icons (I remember the newer versions of Guilds of Hyppos, of the top of my head) but it's hard to say if it's the same problem occurring.
Most likely incorrect block sizes. Specifically regarding direct content BLP files (indexed colour in WC3). Due to a wrong specification many tools do not correctly manage the pixel data resulting in an incorrect, incomplete or missing alpha band which the loader expects to exist. If this exceeds end of file or is beyond the specified block it is open to a buffer overrun error and potentially memory access error (crash). Same can happen with JPEG content as well however it is less likely the logic is wrong.

I have sent at least 1 crash report to Blizzard about this (using new reporting system) so hopefully next patch they add bounds checking.

The correct behaviour that should happen (but does not in WC3) to either fail to load the BLP file (easiest, acceptable), or to pad the missing bytes with a sensible value (best solution, most compatible).

Also WE BLP loader seems more crash prone than WC3. Specifically it will crash when trying to load textures from JPEG content BLP files where 1 or more mipmap levels resolve to an invalid JPEG file.

Status
Not open for further replies.