• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Lotr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
*WIP* LOTR: Rising Conflict

*Reviving this map of 11/2/07*

Added a screen showing models that are being used ingame.
Right now its going to be a 4 race melee map.
Yes the terrain sucks if u noticed, I leave that till the end.

*Forgot to add that the terrain will be reworked in the end. Im going to experiment with all types of terrain being close together for now. I want regions on different terrain types that affects certain units when entering.

Features:
*Races getting a bonus from being near or in their hometown area.
*4 Races atm;Humans,Elves,Dwarves,Goblins.
*A hidden hero that acts as a powerpoint system that gains exp across the map that will allow you to gain abilities to cast anywhere on the map.
*Hopefully afew neat custom spells.
*Alot of custom models for better illusion.
*Workin on sounds or music to import.
*Might put in a ring mode where you can choose at game startup to spawn a ring in the middle that grants some bonus/aid to the controller.

Just alot of things im workin on. I just started rebuilding it today and their really wasnt anything done to it in the beginning so expect a week or two for it to start looking alright.

*Thats the feature i wanted for tree's. The ability to start them on fire if their was enemy units in one of the forests. Right now just 1 forest but ill have bigger patches of forests and vegetation to light. The fire spreads quick so if ur in the middle the fire would reach you before you got out.
Basically a spreading immolation ability.* =)

For resources you get a building you can build like elves is a tree, dwarves is a mine, goblins is mine, and humans a farm. They have to be built out of range from each other of 700 range. if you build closer than that, your resource building is destroyed that u just built and u get your money back. You can see how close you can build them by the selection ring around the buildings.

*added 2 screens of starting fires in a forest*

Attachments

• LOTR models.JPG
    LOTR models.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Forest2fire.JPG
    Forest2fire.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Forest3fire.JPG
    Forest3fire.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

Dude I looked at the filesizes for those skins, thats an easy 2k filesize if you ad dmore, about 3k filesize after allt riggors ar edone, and probly going on 4k fielsize if you add even more.

Level 7
size and stuff

Yea im still trying to figure out the sizes :|.

Its basically just going to be lotr theme based skirmish with added features.

Like the power system copying lotr battle of middle earth 2. I've been making abilities based on the powers and you get a hero that just casts those abilities and cant do anything else.

EX: Barrage, Earthquake, and summonign allies at selected area's that last for a minute. Basically the easy ones lol.

I'll make everything work in the end and I think it should be an alright map when finished. Im modeling again so I might just model the characters to rid the filesizes but i cant skin so ill have to have someone do that for now.

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

Dudse for a lotr map you realy wont need mor ethen 2 custome models, realy if you jsut look through that you have you can do it and keep the filesize low.

Level 7
size

I currently checked the filesize and its 3.36. Alittle higher then I had expected but that is almost all the custom models i'll be using. I want to keep it under 4megs, and even thats a pretty high map size.

Their defiantly will be tweaking but im really only missing a couple models and thats some goblin models. I wouldn't mind some goblin archers :). If I had those i think would be almost set lol.

Deleted member 139377

D

Deleted member 139377

If its over 2k then beleve me get rid of some models... Ill point out a few good one sif ya want

Level 7
size

Yea i guess i'll be substituting models or decreasing blp quality. I just got done making 5 abilities but forgot that, since their all using the rain of chaos for a way to initialize them, they all go in the order their trained and not what their selected to do.

Their all working correctly cept that problem, so im going to take a break for acouple hours and work on my imperium galatica map for awhile. That has more progress then this map but its not posted yet.

Im looking into submitting 3 maps right in a row. A LoTR themed, a medieval theme, and a space theme.

Each one will have some cool features in it. I really like the power system thats shaping for this map but i can only have 5 spells atm. I'll need to make a spellbook of some sorts where either a trigger inserts the spell into the book once it reaches a level or a way to train the spell and have it inserted into the book. Idk, something to think about over the next week.

Last edited:
Level 7
busy busy

I've been real busy with school work and stuff but caught a break so i'll get to adding more stuff again. The power point system is wait mainly drove me away for awhile but I got the patience again to finish a beta form of just that feature.

Just tidbits here and their, lookin to upload afew screenshots by the end of the week.

Level 20
Doesn't seem promissing. : (

In my opinion you just want to add many models/skins to your map as possible to make it more "cool".

And terrain... Well... The "terrain" is horrible.
Too flat and doodadless.

Oh, and wait. Where are trees! No lumber?

You need to do a lot things and changes if you want it to be good map. : /

Level 7
map

They'll be tree's in the beta later on but im not using the typical gold mine-lumber resource gather thing. *edit* i might use the normal resource gathering way if i cant get the other way to work.
They'll be a feature though for the tree's if it works and i never do terrain till the end.

No point making terrain at the beginning if its just going to be written over later. I save it till the end though my terrain does suck even finished...

*edit*
I'de thought I had more time to work on this but schoolwork picked up again... so i'll let it go dormant for alittle bit :|.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.