• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 vs. LOTR update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
It seems Deckboy decided to do the terrain, so rep him if you can.

In the meantime I am trying to make a test version, that will be playable with all the LOTR characters, however, Deckboy is working on the Terrain of the official version, this is just a taste, hopefully you'll ignore my terraining skills

543v8l1.jpg

One picture at a time, I may get more in the future however if people like the idea. ;)

The Project

This whole thing was inspired when I was in a waiting room on B.Net, they were talking about Warcraft competitors, nearly all of them said Lord of the Rings was it's biggest rival and that if anything could uproot Warcraft's high place, it'd be Lord of the Rings.

Not only that, but the fact that the most common franchise based maps are infact, Lord of the Rings (Fellowship Quest, Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, Black Gate, LOTR footies, and even a LOTR AoS)

So I wanted to find out "Which is better?" and thus the idea was born.

LOTR vs. WC3 plants you in "The Nexus." Where the big fight is taking place, there are two sides, LOTR and WC3.

Depending on what side you are on, you take control of a certain Hero from the Franchise, and lead your army to Victory. The Playable heroes are

Warcraft III
Arthas
Illidan
Thrall
Uther
A Tinker
Kel Thuzad
Malfurion
Muradin
A Firelord
Sylvanas
Tyrande
Grom
Jaina
Mannoroth
Anub Arak
Maiev
Kael
Lady Vashj
Archimonde
Cenarius
Rexxar
Garithos
Chen Stormstout

Now if you're still interested, you're probably going "Yeah yeah, we got the WC3 characters, now what about the LOTR ones? Well due to the mass amount of characters that Tolkien was able to invent, thre was no way I could implement all of them so some will not make an appearance (And before you ask: No, Tom Bombadil will not be put in. If he is it will be as a nuetral character.)

Lord of the Rings Characters
Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Gandalf
Boromir
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Saruman
Eomer
The Witch-King of Angmar
The Nazgul (one of the few heroes in total that more than one may exist.)
Treebeard
Berethor (From the LOTR RPG "The Third Age." Also makes an appearance in BFME2)
Morwen (Also from The Third Age and also makes an appearance in BFME2)
Eowyn
Sauron the Deceiver
King Dain
Theoden
Elladan
Elrohir
Imrahil
Faramir
SECRET CHARACTER (Not telling, yes while Deckboy does know as he is fixing up my terrain, don't bug him about it, I told him to keep the character underwraps.)

Now then, I intend every WC3 character to keep their initial spells, LOTR characters will get their own (I.E. Saruman will have a spell like Forces of Nature, only instead of getting ents he gets lumber to help when making buildings.)

Now I mentioned earlier about having it be large battles instead of task forces, yeah, update on that. I will still do my best for the large battles to happen, but at the same time I will also release a version that does the usual task force for those with weaker graphics cards and connections.

I will also implement a VERY simple hero select system (Though it will take a LONG time to implement, my tediousness for the simplicity for the community, if one person likes it then it will all be worth it.) Anyways, the select system will not involve walking over to a circle or choosing from a tavern using a wisp. Infact it will not use any units at all! Just type in the PROPER name of the Hero to select them (Exception is the Tinker, Firelord, and Nazgul, in which you will have to type in their text name.) Adding a new wave of simplicity to hero selecting.

Well that is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.