• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

looking into making a custom campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I'm not quite sure where to go with this, so I'm here.

I have the heros, units, premise, and even some of the terrain all thought out, but have no idea how to go about doing it. I'll explain each:

Hero: Basically a gargoyle model, but with some sensible modifications.
primary attribute is agility. Melee attack.
This hero has the following spells:
Hellfire - inflicts 15 damage per second to the hero and all enemies within 5/10/15 yards. No mana (since it costs health). Toggled ability (like the Tinker's ultimate).
Fly (need a more clever name later) - allows the hero to take flight moving at 30/70/110% movement speed. This is also a toggled ability, and costs 10 mana to transition. While in the air, attacks are still melee, but this hero can attack ground from the air with an orb.
Dark Plague - Inflicts 500/1000/1500 damage to a target unit over 30 seconds. No cooldown, 115 mana. 25 yard casting range.
Ultimate - Also a toggled ability, no mana to transfer. Allows the hero to switch between an undead or humanoid entity (humanoid by default - i.e. activating this changes him into undead, deactivating it changes him back into a humanoid). Additionally, when in humanoid form grants the hero 1 mana every time he damages an enemy. When in undead form grants the hero 1 health every time he damages an enemy.

Units:
The theme of this campaign would serve also as an introduction to mercenary camps. I don't see a whole lot of merc camps used in melee games, and I think it's because people generally don't know their power. To that end, all units would be mercenary units for this campaign, and all buildings would be some form of neutral buildings.

Missions:
This hero (name is Illyric) has no memory, and starts off at level 1 with rank 1 of the fly ability learned. He happens on some mercenaries who net him down and decide to pick a fight. He challenges and presumably defeats their leader. Some of the mercenaries acknowledge him as their new leader, while the rest vow revenge and take to the hills. The first mission is to kill them all.

His ally mercenaries have taken note of his powerful abilities and wonder who he is. He doesn't know, so they decide to help him try to unlock his past. They know of a nearby witch doctor who might be able to help, but in the wake of the rise of Arthas, the town the shaman resides in is under siege by the undead. So the second mission is to destroy the undead attacking the doctor's village. The enemies here should include death knights (with death coil) as a basic unit.

The witch doctor doesn't know anything, but senses death is very close to Illyric. He believes the humans are more likely to have an answer, and recommends a particular high priest. It is a long road to get there, and there are two factions (night elves) combating over scarce resources all along the road. At the end is an elaborate human fortress on high alert for combatants - the guards kill anyone who approaches on sight. You do not have the means to take either, let alone both, of them out so the best course of action seems to be to help one faction win so the humans are no longer on high alert and can be approached. The witch doctor joins your army as a sort-of adviser (he doesn't fight, but he's invulnerable) places (permanent) watcher wards for you so that you can see how the fight is going and decide who to aid and when. And this is the third mission.

The winning faction takes over, but does not welcome you (they do not know you helped them win). However, the human fortress on the other end of the road has let up in their defenses now that things have calmed down. You can approach them without being killed on sight, but you have to get through the night elf base first. The witch doctor recommends going through some tunnels, so you take to the underground with a handful of forces. of course you encounter some renegade night elves from the losing faction and even some undead. You also naturally encounter some captive mercenaries. Anyway, making your way through the underground is the fourth mission.

Illyric finally approaches the human fortress. As it turns out the high priest is away, but should return any moment. However, the humans did notice that you helped the faction outside win and want you to present a treaty to the night elves, on their behalf. Moments after the night elves accept, a whole fleet of undead decend on the human fortress. The humans flee into the night elf camp. You are given ample resources to work with, but all of the human warriors were destroyed, trapped, or captured in the attack - and the night elf warriors have just been decimated by their own battle, so it's on you to defend the night elf base and take back over the human fortress. This is mission 5. At some point Illyric reaches level 6 - the game should force the hero to take his ultimate (which helps immensely as he can no longer be targeted with death coil). In fact, it isn't until this point that it becomes possible to advance on the fortress, because many powerful death knights stand guard, and your mercenary army flees every time you fall - the hero is supposed to reach level 6 by defending the camp. Once he reaches level 6, the high priest returns from his trip and explains that after Illidan's loss at the frozen throne, his forces attempted to create their own type of death knight, and Illyric is the closest they had come to success, but he must have escaped on instinct. That is the story the high priest had just been summoned away to speak of, as it turns out.

The 'new' mission (mission 6) is now to take back over the human fortress - I know this was mission 5, but that was a rues: the real mission 5 was to reach level 6. However, once inside the human fortress you discover that there are, in fact, many human paladins still putting up quite a fight, and they indiscriminately fight any undead, including yourself (even if you are fighting other undead), so you must constantly transition between undead and humanoid while you take over. The fortress would be divided into three sections with three 'mini bosses.' Each time you defeat the boss of a section, the paladins in that section no longer attack you in your undead form, and some join your advance, but most rush back to defend the camp.

Once the fortress is retaken, the high priest reveals that Illyric is the reason the undead forces were here. His antics to free the witch doctor's village only drew attention to him - the undead noticed immediately what he was and sent the undead army (that was just defeated) to erase him and, assuming that experiments in the human fortress were the cause, seize the fortress as well. The high priest recommends destroying the undead camp that knows of his whereabouts, and then proceeding to destroy the naga that created him. These are missions 7 and 8 respectively. The end.

Except, I don't even know where to start. I can make the maps, but that's as far as I can get...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.