• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for a model...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm looking for the model used by Voidwalker's ultimate skill in DotA, does anyone know where I can get it?

faceless+void.jpg

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Uh... Exactly how long have you been acquainted with Wc3 Modding, eh?... :p

A "custom resource" is, like, half of the entire purpose of this website (and others like Wc3c.net). People use 3rd-party programs (like 3dsmax or Milkshape for modelling, or Photoshop and GIMP for texturing) and the World Editor (a program packaged with Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne expansion set) to create custom models, skins, icons, spells, maps, campaigns, and mods... It's called "modding", which is short for "modifying".

(NOTE: I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot; it just seems like baseline knowledge. Gotta have a firm foundation and all that...)

Anyway, the way they "work" can be found out by clicking the "Not sure how to import this model? Click here" link on every custom resource in this site. Basically, you have to import the resource into a Wc3 map in order to use it.
- Download it
- Open World Editor
- Open a map (in WE^)
- Open the Import Editor (in WE^)
- Click the "Import File" button (in IE^)
- Find the file (somewhere on your computer, wherever you downloaded it to)
- Click the file, and it's imported.

Then, it varies based on the resource. Custom models may require a custom texture (or "skin"), which needs to be named correctly. Custom icons need to have a certain filepath to work. Stuff like that. Also, always remember to save your map and close it down (not the entire WE, just the map) after you're done importing, to make sure it works correctly (don't know why). Then you can open the map back up and, if you did it all correctly (follow the "actual" instructions), it should work fine.

Meh? Please tell me you know some of what I'm talking about?

Level 5
Uh... Exactly how long have you been acquainted with Wc3 Modding, eh?... :p

A "custom resource" is, like, half of the entire purpose of this website (and others like Wc3c.net). People use 3rd-party programs (like 3dsmax or Milkshape for modelling, or Photoshop and GIMP for texturing) and the World Editor (a program packaged with Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne expansion set) to create custom models, skins, icons, spells, maps, campaigns, and mods... It's called "modding", which is short for "modifying".

(NOTE: I'm not trying to treat you like an idiot; it just seems like baseline knowledge. Gotta have a firm foundation and all that...)

Anyway, the way they "work" can be found out by clicking the "Not sure how to import this model? Click here" link on every custom resource in this site. Basically, you have to import the resource into a Wc3 map in order to use it.
- Download it
- Open World Editor
- Open a map (in WE^)
- Open the Import Editor (in WE^)
- Click the "Import File" button (in IE^)
- Find the file (somewhere on your computer, wherever you downloaded it to)
- Click the file, and it's imported.

Then, it varies based on the resource. Custom models may require a custom texture (or "skin"), which needs to be named correctly. Custom icons need to have a certain filepath to work. Stuff like that. Also, always remember to save your map and close it down (not the entire WE, just the map) after you're done importing, to make sure it works correctly (don't know why). Then you can open the map back up and, if you did it all correctly (follow the "actual" instructions), it should work fine.

Meh? Please tell me you know some of what I'm talking about?

2 or 3 years, I do know what this is, and you need to close the map and reopen it so the models reload, but how can it be that you import a model and that it is not in the MPQ!!! :hohum:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ah, good. *whew*.

The MPQ is a special file format made by Blizzard to hold all their stuff in as tight a package as possible (easy to transfer, easy to load on your computer, etc). It holds all the in-game models/icons/textures/maps/campaigns/slk texts/blah blah blah (pretty much everything needed to play Warcraft 3 or the expansion).

You can always access stuff inside the MPQs through the WE; it's "in-game", it's automatically there. However, when you import stuff, it doesn't magically go into one of the MPQ's; those are made by Blizzard, and only can be tampered with special programs (MPQMaster, WinMPQ, etc).

(Unless I am not knowing about some vital part of how the game works. That could totally be true)
However, as far as I know, Importing resources doesn't put them into any MPQs. If any, probably war3xlocal.mpq, I guess.

Level 5
Importing stuff puts it in a MPQ of the map and if you protect the map you can still access the MPQ in some way, so you can still get the models that are imported in a map like DotA without opening it in WE. but the problem here is that this model is NOT in the MPQ file of the map and that is impossible, thats the problem.. as far as i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.