• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Looking for a basic animation teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
You know what, forget it. I half expected there would be at least one person who would be willing to donate 5 minutes of their time. Instead, I get things I posted against. Tutorials that expected me to know the very thing I was trying to learn.

For a long time I've been annoyed at the moderates of this site for just how stupid they can be, now it's grown into it's lazy, incompetent users.

I said I wanted to have a tutor - teach me the basics, some tips he's learned the hard way, ect.
I said I didn't want a tutorial.
I said I wanted to use 3dmax. Not another program.

Yet what do I get? "Here, just use this tutorial for a different program!"
"Hey, I'm too lazy to help you!"
"Hey, just use this tutorial!"

Last edited:
Level 18
I'm a newb modeller, but I use this tutorial to attach vertexes to joins in MilkShape, then I exported it to .3DS and imported it in 3Ds Max to animate it there. It's easy to do in 3Ds Max in my opinion. You can also choose to use MilkShape to animate and use the complete tutorial.

Good luck!

Level 6
Bump.

I would like a tutor - not a tutorial. Not a different program besides 3dmax. I thought I outlined that in the first post..

Level 6
3dmax 5.0 and 3dmax 9.0 - However I'd prefer using 5.0 as it doesn't have any graphics errors for me.

Since I am learning the very basics, the location and names should very very close to each other as in future versions.

Level 6
I suggest you to look up first the art tools tutorial that comes with art tools.

No one likes a smartass. I've had no introduction into animation besides several dozen piss-poor tutorials, which explain in depth how to animate past the basic stages - they completely avoid explaining how they got that bone attached to that body part. 99% of the tutorials I've read on animation feel like a review, rather than a documentation.

Uhm, just use link tool to connect the body part to the bone? And yes there is something written in art tools about this:

Art tools said:
It is time to make a three-bone skeleton
made of geometry. Make 3 boxes named
Bone_Root, Bone_Head, and Bone_Jaw,
respectively, and link them so Bone_Jaw is a child of
Bone_Head, which is a child of Bone_Root. Place
them so the root bone’s origin is at the origin in 3ds
max, and the jaw and head are both roughly at the
center of the model (figure 12). Once you have the
skeleton set up, make a key frame of position,
rotation and scale for all the bones at frame 0. For
now, link the Simple Unit’s sphere geometry to the