• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Living forest

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Map Description :

A 12 players funny melee map. You start your base with all your allies and have to cut down the trees to extend your base. Beware in this forest, creeps are hidden behind the trees and your vision is restricted, trees can attack you and move and the forest can take possession of your units. But if you look carefully you can find a source of power which will lead you to a big reward.

Features :
  • 12 players
  • 27 gold mines (20 000 gold for starting gold mines / 35 000 - 50 000 gold for other gold mines)
  • 2 taverns
  • 4 portals
  • 2 goblin laboratories
  • 4 fountains of health
  • 4 fountains of mana
  • 49 green camps
  • 32 orange camps
  • 42 red camps
Contents

Living forest (Map)

Reviews
17:57, 18th Feb 2016 Remixer: The map is really odd for a melee map: there's absolutely no strategical points on the map and it's very cluttered. There's just too many trees: almost no path to the enemy base and larger armies struggle just way too...

M

17:57, 18th Feb 2016
Remixer: The map is really odd for a melee map: there's absolutely no strategical points on the map and it's very cluttered.

There's just too many trees: almost no path to the enemy base and larger armies struggle just way too much. Not only does it make the pathing unacceptable but also the vision. You can literally see nothing. Maybe that is what you wanted but just does not work. While you're wandering in the forest with your armies they get scattered and eventually you'll face way too many creep camps to even want to attack the enemies. It's just a no-brainer.

The item drops are very odd as well. Players end up with dozens of speed of boosts and scrolls of speed and scroll of beast. What's the idea of item drops if both teams have the exact same items?
They are not very practical either. Why would any one want to go to the central gold mines? As a place it's very unfair and illogical: flying units can destroy it in no time and it loses all it's potential. Then again, there could be 3 undead gold mines there, meanwhile there can only be one orc's great hall - nothing else fits there.

Again, you bunched all the players to very tiny areas. This leads to a situation where no one has enough space to build. And it takes a long time to get the trees down. As the game goes on and players manage to build a base (enough space) the creeps already attack from the forests.

That being said the map does not really meet the melee map requirements and it's not very unique without losing functionality.

This map really reminds me of the "Wonder World" (your other map). They have similar cons and pros but they do not work. I'd suggest you to check out tutorials and work on smaller maps first so that you can learn to improve your skills. Afterwards you can try and create something as big as this.

I can tell you that you should rarely use way gates in melee maps, they are not very efficient way of moving large armies, they are pretty much out of question when it comes to large maps (let's say 6+ players).

Also, you need to create a proper pathing for your maps, not just trees and forest everywhere, but actual paths and so on. Also do not place creeps on top of the paths but make creeping an option, it's rarely a good idea to force players to creep.

Even fewer are the cases where you should bunch up many players into a same base - it's not very convenient and when it's not executed with perfection it ruins the entire map.

I set this to Awaiting Update

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Reviewed, set it to Rejected. Just like Legal Ease said, it does not remind a lot of a melee map. I'd suggest you to read tutorials and really think what kind of maps you want to create. Your maps remind me of some maps that people create in half an hour to play with close friends and have fun - sadly those kind of maps are not very popular in Hive.