• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Linux setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hi everyone,

My name is Malhorne, I used to be a modder here back a few years ago (like 2013-2015) where I was doing some spells and requests for people :)

Recently I felt like coming back there and as I am only using Linux OS nowadays, I wanted to know if someone has managed to make the official Warcraft III work on Linux.
Moreover, has anybody managed to set up a good modding workflow on Linux?
I know wine worked perfectly with older Warcraft III versions (like 1.26 if I remember correctly the version of yore) but the editor emulation was really rubbish and no way to enable JASS New Gen Pack because of the registry keys.

I saw there is the Hive WE editor which seems to be somewhat supported on Linux but I did not manage to build it with the README on Linux (I guess I'll contact the maintainer but that's for later).

Anyway I'm glad to see that the community seems to stand strong after all these years!

Thank you for reading :)

Level 18
Ahah yes I knew about Vexorian.
To be honest it is easy to run Warcraft III of yore (like 1.26) with wine. It starts to be painful when you want to mod, but as far as I know he used JassHelper in command line with wine and then create the maps this way. And currently I am unable to run a patched warcraft 3 but I guess with some researches I'll manage to find something, especially concerning the popularity of the game.

Thank you for your answer nonetheless :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I suggest trying to run 1.31.1 via wine. You might need to use the legacy OpenGL or D3D9 graphics for it to work depending on how advanced wine's D3D11 support is.

Blizzard does not officially support Linux. However they do seem to understand players using the platform as they did revoke a whole lot of false positive bans in World of Warcraft that were the result of using wine to run the game. In the end it largely comes down to how conformant Wine is at running Windows games.

JASSHelper is now built into standard World Editor.

Level 18
Hi DSG long time no see!

Strange I tried running the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" file with wine and it said that I need to reinstall Battle.net, seems I either chose the wrong file to run or I am missing something there.
If I go inside the x86_64 directory and then I launch "Warcraft III.exe" I've got an error saying it cannot load a dll which is basically on the same folder.
I'll keep looking on the internet I might find my answer.

Oh wow I did not expect JASSHelper to be built-in now O_O
Is there any other stuff like that, that I missed during the last few years?

Level 18
Oh I did not expect that, or I mean maybe we could have considering they used extensively Lua for World of Warcraft addons. Thank you for the information!

EDIT on topic: I've managed to launch Battle.net in background and then the launcher, but the launcher asks me for an installation folder and it is quite buggy. Working on it at the moment.

EDIT2: Relaunched it and now it seems to download the latest patches as expected.

EDIT3: Crashing on the Warcraft III launch because it cannot load ClientSdk.dll which is inside the same folder. Guess I'll have to lurk on the internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.