• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Escape / Maze] Life of Prisoner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey guys,

I am almost done with my finals, and I plan to start on a new project. I want to make a prison escape game, but in a more branched way. The prisoner will have free will and can decide to stay in the prison as long as he wants.

I want to implement some systems which will allow the player to actually interact with the npcs. Some will be unique some will be not. There will be gangs, bringing in contraband, working in gym, prison labour, making friends and there will be a prison regime which will be responsive to the current prison. For Example, The normal regime is

00:00-08:00 = Sleep
08:00-09:00 = Shower
09:00-11:00 = Eat
11:00-14:00 = Work
14:00-16:00 = Free Time
16:00-17:00 = Yard
17:00-19:00 = Lockup
19:00-21:00 = Eat
21:00-22:00 = Free Time
22:00-23:00 = Lockup
23:00-00:00 = Sleep

Then you and a gang started a riot including 30-40 prisoners. The prison takes action against your actions and punishes you with solitary, lockups or increasing your security level. And changes regime, to a worse one until you feel sorry.

00:00-08:00 = Sleep
08:00-09:00 = Shower
09:00-11:00 = Eat
11:00-14:00 = Work
14:00-16:00 = Lockup
16:00-17:00 = Yard
17:00-19:00 = Lockup
19:00-21:00 = Eat
21:00-22:00 = Lockup
22:00-23:00 = Lockup
23:00-00:00 = Sleep

In his free times, the prisoner will be able to go anywhere he wants as long as its not restricted. It can be a gym, common room, yard, meeting up with a friend of his in a cell.

I'm not sure about this one but there may be visitation hours as well, but some players might find this a bad feature since they may not feel attached to the character thus his family.

I will update with more info as I develop the idea in my mind. Anyone interested in the topic and want to help is welcome. I want to make a decent gameplay with decent models, UI, buttons and stuff...

And be sure to give me ideas!!!

Level 4
The prisioner is black?

No comments.

Could be a secret organization of EUA that steal prisioners organs to use in transplants and cientific tests (This is not just an idea, it really happend last year)

Edit: Humor is required to read this.
Edit: About map - i want to play.

Level 19
I may put a black guy in for stealing a bike :p There may be a race choosing and maybe some customization of the character actually that joke gave me some ideas :D

That idea is a whole different thing from what I have in mind :D I want a nicely functioning prison, not a prison run by mafia :p

If i can do what I want to do it'll be good I can guarantee that.

Level 19
It could be like that but a campaign contains smaller maps with story. I can write a good story but I want our prisoner to be free as well. Kind of a sandbox game. I'm not sure about turning this into a campaign. Also a big single map would need clean work to contain all the features I want. Maybe some more details can make me change my decision about campaign :D

Level 2
OMG please make it happen! I want to play as a gang-related prisoner, shanking rival members and wardens to earn respect and money! And if you can, please put in actual prison gangs like Mexican Mafia and Black Guerilla Family. And yess pls make character customization a thing. :grin::grin::thumbs_up:

Level 4
Campaign is high in present.
You see, a map with campaign as the main article gets a lot of views, comments and rate. You could turn it to a campaign.

The people want to see campaign

Level 19
Reasonable enough then I should start thinking a nice and capturing story.

OMG please make it happen! I want to play as a gang-related prisoner, shanking rival members and wardens to earn respect and money! And if you can, please put in actual prison gangs like Mexican Mafia and Black Guerilla Family. And yess pls make character customization a thing.

I want to make the gangs a nice feature, this'll be a big part of the prison life bcz ull have people watch your back only if you prove youre solid tho, to get ranks you'll need to do some shits for the shot callers, maybe later in the game you will be the shot caller or maybe the leader of a gang.

I may do some research for real gangs as well nice idea.

The question in my mind about customization is, if I add a feature like facial customization how should I make the gameplay camera? Above camera is what I have in mind but you won't see much of your character other than cinematics. But I'll surely put character progression which will include getting fat, muscular, thinner... And these will have impacts in game too.

I want to implement a real time combat system btw. Bcz just having stats shouldnt be enough, you will control the character in fights too. Taking guard, block, punch, grab, throw, kick, jump I'll put some of these into the combat system. In addition, I plan to create an interactive environment, where you can grab a dumbell and use it as a weapon, or a plastic fork from the canteen, or even a stolen tazer of a guard.

These are the things came in my mind, I'll update the thread later.

Level 28
So, let me guess, You're making a survival map for a prisoner's life, So, If it's not a long storyline you can just make it as a map, if not, Campaign will be better for a long story, events...etc
Now, What model do you require, or what do you need exactly with this!

Level 19
So, let me guess, You're making a survival map for a prisoner's life, So, If it's not a long storyline you can just make it as a map, if not, Campaign will be better for a long story, events...etc
Now, What model do you require, or what do you need exactly with this!

With a storyline it would be better to play and to create a bond with the player and the character but a single survival/escape map should be better for repeated playability cuz of sandbox mode.

I need tons of models, except than customization (I don't know how I'll make the customization), I'll need some different types of common prisoners; Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians, Afro Americans... And they'll be fat, tiny, husky, muscular. And additionally, I'll need some unique models for prisoners, some of them will gang leaders, some will be important ones for bringing in contraband(kind of a merchant).

And of course guard models: simple guards with knight sticks and tazers maybe and armed security with armor and guns.

Then a warden, civilians for visitation hours, staff(cook, janitor, workers...), maybe lawyers too(with tuxedos).

And lastly our own character will need some models. After customization the character will be changeable (as I've mentioned earlier, getting fat, skinny, muscular) And there should be races for each model: Afro American, Caucasian....

And I'll need tons of props and structures... :goblin_boom::ogre_rage:

Level 28
Wow, that's alot of request, but well, you can seek for those model here on the hive or Chaos Realm, Warcraft3 Campaign site, you may find alot of ressources there, I highly advice you to make your map like a jail, a town outside, you must costumiz the jail, guards, Cell also out of the prison

Personally, I can aid with the story a little, the start and the end, (The game development)

Level 19
Wow, that's alot of request, but well, you can seek for those model here on the hive or Chaos Realm, Warcraft3 Campaign site, you may find alot of ressources there, I highly advice you to make your map like a jail, a town outside, you must costumiz the jail, guards, Cell also out of the prison

Personally, I can aid with the story a little, the start and the end, (The game development)

Okay I'll add you on the team if you want. I checked a lot of sites for prisoner model but couldn't find one. Do you make models tho? All I need for common prisoners is three or four models right now and 3 or 4 different textures for each of them. I can do some modelling but I don't want to rig every models, and then texture them too. But I may have to do it in the future.

Level 2
You should change the game type from Escape to RPG though, since it's mostly based on RPG, right?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds boring... People play maps to be entertained, and prisons are purposely not meant to be fun to punish criminals for committing crimes.

It probably would be better if you took the side of the prison institute where you need to manage the prisoners. You need to make the right decisions and try your best to not let anyone escape.

Level 4
Sounds boring... People play maps to be entertained, and prisons are purposely not meant to be fun to punish criminals for committing crimes.

It probably would be better if you took the side of the prison institute where you need to manage the prisoners. You need to make the right decisions and try your best to not let anyone escape.

Believe me if i say i was thinking in do it? But as a campaign

Level 19

I find your lack of faith disturbing. But really, this wont be boring, if u think like this all of the games out there is about killing and violence, in reality i dont think you like them but in video games theyre fun. As for survival most games should be boring to you. This time you will survive in a prison. Youll have tons of options to do and you will have interactions with npcs which will result in different paths for future.

When turned into a campaign thisll be an absolute beast idea. With a cool story. But i need decent coding which means i can use your wisdom if you will be willing to lend a hand. As an important person in this community. ^^

Level 21
I was pretty surprised to see this being called straight up boring. The general idea has been played with a lot, and it's worked for some games like the Escapists (comically in that case). The show Prison Break could offer some good inspiration with every episode sort of being like a puzzle for the brothers to figure out to either survive or escape.

But the only way I can see this being immersive in Warcraft is if you purely use modern model imports. WindexIsBack released a really nice modern model pack a while back, and it's what I used when I started up a prison project of my own that I ended up scrapping for something else. I'm pretty sure the links to the model pack were corrupted over time, but I could send it to you if you need it. And I see that you're requesting custom resources, so that'll be be a nice touch of uniqueness if you can get a good majority of them.

Another thing that would really keep the game interesting is having mini-games for every situation. Let's say you're stuck in your cell for a set amount of time. You need to stay fit to be able to stand up to some guys hassling you or to take on whatever comes your way. There could be a mini-game about hitting certain keys to do push-ups (animations from Villager 255 Animations) to keep up your strength and make the following events easier. You could check out the game Presentable Liberty for ideas to keep a player busy when stuck in a prison cell or really anywhere there wouldn't normally be much to do. That game is on a whole other level of crazy, but it does a great job of keeping the player from thinking too much about being stuck in a cell.

Level 19
I was pretty surprised to see this being called straight up boring. The general idea has been played with a lot, and it's worked for some games like the Escapists (comically in that case). The show Prison Break could offer some good inspiration with every episode sort of being like a puzzle for the brothers to figure out to either survive or escape.

But the only way I can see this being immersive in Warcraft is if you purely use modern model imports. WindexIsBack released a really nice modern model pack a while back, and it's what I used when I started up a prison project of my own that I ended up scrapping for something else. I'm pretty sure the links to the model pack were corrupted over time, but I could send it to you if you need it. And I see that you're requesting custom resources, so that'll be be a nice touch of uniqueness if you can get a good majority of them.

Another thing that would really keep the game interesting is having mini-games for every situation. Let's say you're stuck in your cell for a set amount of time. You need to stay fit to be able to stand up to some guys hassling you or to take on whatever comes your way. There could be a mini-game about hitting certain keys to do push-ups (animations from Villager 255 Animations) to keep up your strength and make the following events easier. You could check out the game Presentable Liberty for ideas to keep a player busy when stuck in a prison cell or really anywhere there wouldn't normally be much to do. That game is on a whole other level of crazy, but it does a great job of keeping the player from thinking too much about being stuck in a cell.

Thanks for being positive Tickles :) I still haven't played the escapists but i played some games from the app store and prison architect on steam(this one is what Dr Super Good suggested but it also has an escape mode). They were not boring to me at all.

For models, I will surely use modern imports to make it look like at least 2000s. If you still have them i'll be glad if you could send them. I'm trying to make a common prisoner right now :D I'm not very good at modelling but if i cannot come up with something good ill contact some modellers :D but as you've said ill need a majority of them.

That's a very nice suggestion, but ill need to add many many minigames throughout the game. I don't if it is possible to take Villager255's animations and put them to other models but it would be awesome to that! Ill check out Presentable Library when im on pc. And thanks for advices and resources :)

By the way, what are your thoughts about making this a single map or a campaign? I think that campaign would be better for a story mode but i can have a story in a single map with enough sandbox play style. The campaign may kill the free play style of the game.

Your map seems so awesome ! Why did you stop making it?

Level 21
Campaigns or any type of map linking tends to get messy. I think it would be best to start with a single sandbox map which you could use to play around with different features or story elements and get initial feedback. Then if that pans out, you could start the campaign using that first map as a clear guideline.

I think I started that project shortly before I took a break from Warcraft. The map got lost in new PC transfers since then, but I at least held on to the resources and use bits and pieces from time to time. I'll PM the pack to you after I have it uploaded.

Level 15
Sounds cool, I really like play Prison Life on my iPhone, well actually its only ffa open wrestling in prison. (edit: lol, its nog prison life, its hard time)
Also, if its somethibg like doctor said, it will be like Prison Architect, managing prison stiff, which take a lot of time. i spent 2 hours to build 10 cells and a canteen XD
so, imo, sandbox style is great, with some quest you can choose. this might be complicated and my brain cant handle it lol . hmmmm....

Last edited:
Level 4
As a campaign it would be so much better, think about. A lot of chapters, with different histories in the prision, it would be cool.

Level 19
You should change the game type from Escape to RPG though, since it's mostly based on RPG, right?

Kinda , yeah :D but there's also an option to escape though this is not totally a maze :/ I ll change it if I can.

Campaigns or any type of map linking tends to get messy. I think it would be best to start with a single sandbox map which you could use to play around with different features or story elements and get initial feedback. Then if that pans out, you could start the campaign using that first map as a clear guideline.

I think I started that project shortly before I took a break from Warcraft. The map got lost in new PC transfers since then, but I at least held on to the resources and use bits and pieces from time to time. I'll PM the pack to you after I have it uploaded.

I'll go with single map then, campaigns are not very familiar to me btw. I'll save your suggestion in my mind for later if it goes in that direction as you've said. I'll put some story bits in the game to make it more grasping.

Sounds cool, I really like play Prison Life on my iPhone, well actually its only ffa open wrestling in prison.
Also, if its somethibg like doctor said, it will be like Prison Architect, managing prison stiff, which take a lot of time. i spent 2 hours to build 10 cells and a canteen XD
so, imo, sandbox style is great, with some quest you can choose. this might be complicated and my brain cant handle it lol . hmmmm....

Ahahaha, I maxed out my stats in Prison Life, then i killed the entire block then slept peacefully until new people came in and I did the same until I slept my way out of the prison.

Prison Architect is a way too much taking game. And it'd be especially boring in WC3 imo.

I'll put every system I have in mind, if I can't I'll try to get help, but I'm planning something great.

As a campaign it would be so much better, think about. A lot of chapters, with different histories in the prision, it would be cool.

Yes, you are right about that, but it would kill the possibilities of sandbox don't you think that too? I want the prisoner to do anything he wants, and steal anything. But with campaign this'll turn into a mission type game which presents you different ways to achieve a goal. I'm totally with you it would be both interesting and fun but not totally a sandbox game.

Level 11

I agree. A Campaign is unnecessary for this type of map. I actually think the idea itself sounds interesting and could be quite a fun map to play. If you want a dynamic story, you can literally code a single map to have different outcomes based on random variables getting set. You don't have to overcomplicate it with a campaign. A Campaign would be more linear anyways. A single map would be much easier to create a sandbox type game like this one.

Level 19
Thanks for the kind words ^^ Youre more experienced than me and most of you are with single map side. I was closer to this idea earlier, so I'll go with this. And I will create different security level wings for prisoners, I am planning something huge, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to them all. Time will tell...

Level 3
Suggest plus entertainment features, such as: gambling, robbery, rob banks, and so on

Here we have a map called: prison break big fight

thief
Thief: the role of technology, the novice generally do not get started, to practice more. The thief to the late can kill the police, but if the early development is not good directly led to the later by the police abuse. Thief rich method has a lot of, rob bank - robbing, stealing can be, the fastest is to rob a bank, but is very easy to be caught by the police. The thief will go to jail after being arrested, but his teammates can go to the rescue. The ultimate goal of the thief is to kill all the police or hide to the end of the game. (up to 8 thieves)
police
Police: novice easy to get started, playing well is also a technology, but no thief so difficult. The police can rely on the training camp of science and technology to strengthen, buy a gun, after the death of the resurrection here. After the death of a police, the equipment can not immediately drop off, wait 30 seconds later would fall, so the police can in 30 seconds after the last to sacrifice place to locate the equipment. The ultimate goal of the police is to catch all the thieves, and put them in prison. (up to 3 police officers).

Status
Not open for further replies.