• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Life After Highschool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Yep, moving on into a new stage of life. The life of either slacking down staying on welfare or going into Campus with buddies or not.

I myself have recently started to get my act together after getting my job and especially after I was offered a course scholarship. But.. im still confused, how does one take such a big step in life? I for one am still having trouble deciding on a career as i cringe at the dog eat dog world of art. Moving 3hrs away from your family to live alone with strangers, to get a job where its not very stable...to....excel so fast in an ever changing world, its...just..large isnt it?

What are your thoughts on moving to campus, getting courses or life after High school? Got your experiences? Please do share them.

Level 8
I actually don't have any experience myself, but it shouldn't be long. What I plan on doing is getting a solid job, finding a place to rent, then eventually work up through a career from there...all after maybe a few months of recovery. I've been offered to share an apartment with a friend if we end up going to the same university, which I may or may not end up taking up.
Of cause it's probably easier when you know what you want to do career-wise. I've known what I plan on doing for at least a few years, and have been looking into it frequently, but art can definatelly become very competetive...
You could definatelly put up a fight, but if that's not something you want to have to do, it's always there as a hobby if you decide to pursue a career elsewhere.

Level 5
As of right now i just started a 3 year gymnasium education, which i think is equal to high school if im not much mistaken, anyways i dont have any idea of what im going to do afterwards although most of my new classmates does.

But im planning on taking a sabbath year, a year where you dont study, in order to find out what i want to do with my life and so that i dont jump right into university and then drop out after 6 months. Im not wery fond of the idea of having to study every year for 20 years, so a free year where i can just work and get my act together seems like the best option for me once im finished with the gymnasium and have my blue striped hat on my head.
But then again the government pays for all education until im 50 years old so i have plenty of time to figure it out.

Level 9
Well, I live in Israel and in here, after highschool we are magically teleported into the army and serve there for a minimum of 3 years.

What gives YOU the right to complain?, i gonna spend the next 3+ years at getting shot.

Level 3
I too am not in college, i just started high school...but i've asked a few of my teachers in middle school how college is. I was told it was quite fun and from my brother, the people there are very chilled and very mature.

Dunno if this info will answer some questions

Level 34
I'm working full time. After 13 years of school, a little break will be nice. Not to mention I can get some money to buy stuff, like a car and a new PC.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
For me it wasn't that hard to move into college (or faculty as we call it here). I wanted to do architecture ever since I went to high school (art high school, in which I was at the architecture section...). I was of course nervous to meet new people, because I'm shy as holy fuck in real life when it comes to this, but everything turned up to be alright in the end. Even though it was weird to get used to the new system, it's not that bad. BUT I didn't have to move away or anything, since the university is right in my home town which happens to be the capital. Though most of my fellow group mates are from out of town, some from hundreds of km away and some from other countries and they don't seem to have any problems at all.
But after entering faculty I realized that architecture is not at all what I really want to do...I just stuck in my mind that I want architecture for some reason, when I really don't...What I really want is to draw random bullshit and model and stuff like that and to play guitar with my band...That's why me and a few buddies (who are also in the band :p) want to start up a sfx and games company very soon. We'll start by doing architectural modeling & rendering first, because it's not that hard and you earn shitloads of money. Anyway, this was my rant.

Level 5
It's not a big deal , its like how people say the next step in life is going to be alot harder and for the first week it is, but you adjust. This is the hardest step getting a stable life style by yourself. But its not such a big deal.

Level 24
@ All the highschool freshman in this thread: Stupid freshmen.

Anyways Wulf, getting an art degree would definitely help you in life, if you do know you want to be an artist. It doesn't matter if your art is good or not (btw, it's definitely good), you'll have a hard time catching attention without a degree. Artists (of all types) in particular do tend to be rather relaxed and can at least put on an outward appearance of maturity, so if you do move out, even though you aren't really a people person, you shouldn't have much of a hard time getting used to the world. If you do move out, make sure you always have something to do. Having free time sucks if you aren't doing anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.