• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Learning 3ds max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I am trying to learn how to use 3ds max, so I cant figure the flowing:
1. After I import the model how to make it appear with textures, not just random base color.
2. When I try exporting a model that I have just imported, nothing was done to the model, it exports with just one frame and a white texture, why is that?
I am using 3ds max 9 and NeoDex.

I am trying to learn how to use 3ds max, so I cant figure the flowing:
1. After I import the model how to make it appear with textures, not just random base color.
2. When I try exporting a model that I have just imported, nothing was done to the model, it exports with just one frame and a white texture, why is that?
I am using 3ds max 9 and NeoDex.

1. using the material editor (type m for direct access). I suggest you read 3dsmax's material tutorials to get a grasp of it.

2. depends on your importer. NeoDex requires an special format for you to get an exportable scene. Pretty much the same as art tools so read the art tools documentation. You could also look at the samples but they were made for max 2008 so they won't open on max 9. There's also gmax samples so you can just fast install gmax and see the samples there. It's interface is alot like 3ds max's. Also checking the quick overview guide in NeoDex's main thread will help you get a grasp of what can neodex export and what it can't export.

Final words, learning 3ds max is not easy, max is a very powerful tool but it's learning curve is actualy long. Don't rush on doing advance stuffs from the very start or you'll crash.

Also what are you trying to import?

Level 14
Well I tried to import the Bandit Spear thrower, I chose it randomly to learn on it, it imports properly, except for textures and materials. I than tried to export it using the NeoDex Export MDL just to see how the process works and I get the no animation, white texture result.

Level 14
Ok so I managed to get the texture to appear, it still doesn't appear once I try to export, but that does not really matter I can add the materials in Magos.

I still can't get the animations to export. Is it even possible to retain the already existing animations of a model, or do I have to make new ones in max?
Because if I can't, that sort of means that once I export a model I wont be able to do any further edits to its animations ever, I don't really like that.

I want to use max mainly for animations since I saw that it has some really nice features, like keeping a certain bone in position while moving the rest and rotating the bone according to its axis and not a global axis. However if I can't import and export a model and keep its animations that kind of kills the purpose of using max.

Ok so I managed to get the texture to appear, it still doesn't appear once I try to export, but that does not really matter I can add the materials in Magos.

I still can't get the animations to export. Is it even possible to retain the already existing animations of a model, or do I have to make new ones in max?
Because if I can't, that sort of means that once I export a model I wont be able to do any further edits to its animations ever, I don't really like that.

I want to use max mainly for animations since I saw that it has some really nice features, like keeping a certain bone in position while moving the rest and rotating the bone according to its axis and not a global axis. However if I can't import and export a model and keep its animations that kind of kills the purpose of using max.

You must declare the sequences in a notetrack in objects.
attachment.php

btw if you are using the impemdx script that comes with m3 tools, it's buggy for exporting with NeoDex. It's better to use: Blizzimportter the last one only works with game models.

Attachments

• Anims.jpg
    Anims.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.