• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Last steps for ms3d to wc3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hello everyone, recently I have been making many models, but never really import them to wc3, so I tried today with litle success... I use ms3d, and I was wondering if someone can quickly guide me through the last steps of getting my attachment model in the game.

So far I have edited with notepad, converted model file to mdx too, and texture to blp, but now what? what's the next step, i think compressed files have something to do with it, but I am not sure. also i'm on my ps3 right now so i can't post pictures of it, but it's the ashbringer sword.

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

Level 15
not for me, lol.

let's see, i make the model, i export it using guessts's exporter, save it as mdl. Then i open it with notepad, i change model name "milkshapeexported", to the model name i want, then i change white.blp to the texture i am using, if more then copy and paste the same format bellow and add the other texture. convert from mdl to mdx, and turn it into a compressed folder. that's all i've done, every step... now tell me what did i do wrong? and did i miss something??

Edit: do i change materials even if i only use 1 texture?

Level 31
Yes, if you have more then one material.
You have to declare which texture every single material uses.
You do this by setting the Texture ID number.

If a material uses the texture at position 1, then change the texture id number to 0.
If a material uses the texture at position 2, then change the texture id number to 1.
If a material uses the texture at position 3, then change the texture id number to 2.
etc ...

Level 15
i don't know about you... but when I download a model, it's in a compressed file, and the .mdx, .blp and notes are all there, i'm asking if I have to do that too, and why it's important.

what i mean with "importing textures" is when you download a model, import it to wc3, you have to write in a custom path for the textures, would this path be what the author wrote in "white.blp"?

Status
Not open for further replies.