• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lack of activity in the Hive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
This is just my personal opinion but I don't think there is really anything exiting going on in the Hive as of late. I haven't seen many BIG contests going on with real prizes like rep or something like that. And a few of the places in the forums seem very inactive. Places like the writing section? there is some very interesting stuff to read there and I don't just mean my work -_-. Anyways I think the moderators should start up some contests for a sort of Christmas thing. Maybe contests to get users more active or something else to draw attention to the hive forum boards. your opinions?

Level 35
Well, I wouldn't say THW is going inactive, since a strong part of the community is active, but the Modding userbase can be seen decreasing. It's mostly because people are losing interest in Warcraft 3, but I'm sure SC2 will resurrect our modding guild.

Also, some forums are inactive, because it's very rare that somebody comes up with a good topic to discuss.

Level 24
Activity in some sections come in bursts, and those areas are also generally less strict about necroposting. They're quiet, but they're still useful. They also provide context in which to understand the content of posts. For example, a story would be taken much differently in Off-Topic than under Storyboarding, different critiques and compliments would be given.

Level 9
ya I mostly see the spam type threads with people asking your favorite band or other meaningless topics. I think that the Hive should maybe be spread out a bit more though. Maybe advertised as more than just a warcraft 3 modding site but for blizzard modders perhaps? Maybe make Warcraft and Starcraft seperate sections in the forum?

Level 34
Oh we have a whole thread dedicated to contests in staff forums. Hawkwing is working on it. ;)

There will be Terrain Contest #4 or 5 soon. Can't remember which we're on.

And there is a totally new contest coming out!

Level 24
your favorite band or other meaningless topics.
They're not meaningless, they're fun. I'll admit they generally aren't productive, but people still share ideas back and forth.

I think that the Hive should maybe be spread out a bit more though. Maybe advertised as more than just a warcraft 3 modding site but for blizzard modders perhaps? Maybe make Warcraft and Starcraft seperate sections in the forum?
Aren't they already?

Level 9
I think the Hive should be community friendly though. Meaning more than JUST Warcraft 3. Since the modding community is getting a little old now maybe when other games similar or made by blizzard start coming out, they become spot lighted in the forum.

People are still into modding Warcraft 3 yes it's not dead but it's lacking in activity. Maybe if their was a section for warcraft 3, starcraft 2 (when it comes out), and maybe other modder friendly games then the Hive would become more active.

Now as for the contest piece. It's good in all to get user made contests but When the users make them some people won't try them for the lack of reward such as rep or something similar.

btw: Not sure if this should be moved to site discusion or not. dunno if it will get as much activity there as here or not.

Level 34
I think hawk is talking about more than just a SC2 section. He would like to see the site expand into areas not explored yet. Or areas that are under explored.

Level 9
Yes I was actually thinking on a grander scale of change than just the SC2 modding community. I was thinking if people would possibly advertise the site as more than just a modding site but also as a community site for artists and writers. We have a few people that focus there time in the art section and I for one post quite a bit in the writing section but there are very few users who check those sections out. If we advertised the site more as that type of site maybe we'd draw a more diverse crowd. Also by getting peoples attention we may actually inspire others to buy Warcraft or SC2 and start modding themselves.

Also think about this. If your a terrain maker, for example Void (being one of the greats), and you want inspiration or ideas you could check out the art and drawing section for either pictures of landscapes or other ideas. You could alos check out the reading section and try re-creating a landscape or area described in the writing.

For people making campaigns or large maps you could check out those sections as well for both ideas and in the writing case whole ideas or stories behind your maps.

Level 21
This site is going inactive for long time.Check the number of users.It is 34568.And only 2-3 hundred are active.And shouldn't there be some contest that everybody could participate.Cinematics, Terrain, campagine, they are just hard for greater mass on this site.

Level 9
I think there should be a, "cleansing," per say. Most of the users that have made accounts have posted 4-5 times and haven't used them since. A lot of people request models then leave. I think a lot of those accounts that have been inactive for a certain amount of time and only have a few posts should be deleted

Level 14
You guys are silly. The site is plenty active, just look around you! The problem is that I don't think it's the right kind of activity, but then again that might not be a problem at all for the vast majority of users here. I don't think this is a site-threatening issue and I seriously doubt it ever will be for the Hive.

Newcomers all act the same, it is kind of sad. "OUT OF ALL TIME USERS WHY NOT EVERYONE ACTIVEW????!?!?!" - Well duh, once you arrive at some place it doesn't automaticly mean that you stay there forever and ever, you come and go, maybe even with a few years apart. Look at Dusk here, he registered in 2005 and first became active in 2008. Nothing good comes out of deleting any accounts.

Also, the site is not dying, jesus christ, every three months apart or so since back when I registered in 2005 there has come a storm of whiners crying about this.

Level 24
This isn't even the first time I've seen that people have suggested that there be some sort of function that deletes profiles that have been inactive for <X> amount of time and with less than <Y> amount of posts or <Z> amount of resources, and apparently that wasn't the first time it had been suggested either. THW is thriving for a site about a dying game.

Level 9
No no no. I'm not whining about the lack of activity. I'm more referring towards the sections that get a lack of attention. There is lots of activity but only in certain sections.

And when I'm talking about inactive accounts I mean the accounts with 5 or 6 posts and haven't been active for a while. Rising Dusk wasn't active here that's true but he was active on WC3C.

Level 17
I know I have only been on this site for less than a month, but I must say this site is pretty active for a game that came out half a decade ago. Every day new maps are posted, models are created, spells are designed. I always find plenty of new threads to read when I am bored and my questions are always answered. As for myself, I plan to be active for as long as THW is around!

Awhile back in this thread somebody suggested a contest that everyone can participate in. Well, my friend, you don't understand. It doesn't work that way. People chose to learn something, and that's what type of contest they will enter. If you want one that everyone can participate in together we could have some sort of Olympics. The Hive Olympics perhaps? Oh wait, we had one before, and remember how that worked out?

Anyways, the Hiveworkshop overall is plenty active. Some sections are inactive though, that's obvious enough. But there's nothing we can do to solve that but ask people to be more active.

Level 34
My opinion about 'lacking Hive-activity' is because we are a bit newb-unfriendly plus that most of the new users tend to hook off since they only came here on this site to get some (Naruto) models.

Level 15
A writing contest? Go look at the Stickys in the Storyboarding forum. There lie the sad remains of the past storywriting contests. That's why there haven't been any.

But honestly, THW doesn't necessarily need to expand all that much (other than the pending Sc2 section). Just let it run its course. Sc2 could be a great boon to THW. I say could because Sc2 modding could turn out to be an epic fail. In which case, THW may have to expand further, but lets not hope so.

So let's just leave things as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.