• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kill Zone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
It's one word.

I enjoyed the art direction this game took, everything seemed a lot more vibrant and stylized than the last few outings. The dash of orange and red against silver and white backgrounds was very striking and often mesmerizing. That being said, I didn't really enjoy the pacing of the game. As Ramza said, it was very much of a rollercoaster of a game, with the player being rushed from one corridor to the next. The difficulty also felt immensely ramped up. I had no problem blasting through KZ2 on the harder difficulties with no HUD, but I struggled on pretty much all of KZ3 on normal. Cover felt almost useless and I was often killed while under the impression that I was protected, my character also often hesitated before snapping back into cover which gave the enemy enough time to land those killing shots. As for the story, it's nice that they focused more on the Helghast side of a thing, but a lot of it is loose and goes unexplained. They sort of just throw new characters in the mix to fill the void.

Which provides a great transition for talking about the weapon controls as they are the exact opposite, I felt they were much improved over the last, aiming felt incredibly fluid and responsive making it easy to line up shots and take out targets. The ability to carry two primary weapons at a time makes a welcome return, although still no alternate firing modes like there was in the first Killzone. There's also some new additions including a shotgun pistol, a rocket launcher that shoots one devastating missile or a whole swarm, and some kind of funky chemical launcher that explodes bad guys into teeny tiny wet chunks. Multiplayer is also improved over its predecessor, with plenty of new unlocks and streamlined character progression. The main feature that stands out are the new cinematics that play out as the match goes on depicting the player's actions. The game also puts the player's names over the heads of the soldiers in the cinematics to show who's kicking ass and who's getting their asses kicked. Overall, not as big of an improvement as KZ2 was over KZ1, but still a damn fun game. I'd hit it (and I did!)

Status
Not open for further replies.