1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Ken Christopher Newbie Terrain Making

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Ken Christopher, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hi,

Posted on 12th Jan 2019

Im on my first terrain with the basics in World Editor. Any feedback I will accept to improve my skills.
    It was hard for me to make it for the first time, took about 3 hours to make only 40x40 size of the terrain which shown below

Terrain_Practices_Felwood_03.PNG Terrain_Practices_Felwood_04.PNG Terrain_Practices_Felwood_05.PNG

Posted on 14th Jan 2019

My another terrain practice - Black Citadel Tiles

Terrain_Practices_Black_Citadel_04.PNG Terrain_Practices_Black_Citadel_03.PNG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    < Moved up to first post>

Attached Files:

3. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    :/ Im sorry. Just a random mixing of the terrain.

4. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I se...I found out that the original tilesets are hard to make combination. So I need to try to make few sets and get used to it first :(

5. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If I may, I respectfully disagree. I thought the use of felwood trees with the outland/Black Citadel tileset was quite interesting. I think these terrains are quite nice, at least for a total beginner. One thing I would suggest is to use the height tool more, particularly to disguise the horizon a bit more, maybe in conjunction with terrain fog. Keep at it, and don't be afraid to try out new or unusal things, it might not always work, but sometimes it will. Good work :)

6. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you for your advice :) Yea at first I was thought that it is very nice when making the terrain, that's why I posted it up here :(. But back then, when I reopen and see....it felt awkward and mismatched. Kinda ruined on the environment. So...I just discontinue with it and came up with a new one yesterday, still in WIP with Sunken Ruin tileset. Much more better.

Thank you for your suggestion, Alright, I will try to look at it. :)

7. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Was created this terrain on 15th Jan 2019. Hope that I have improvement.
    I quite like the sky and the terrain I had created :)

Terrain_Practices_Loedaeron_Summer_01.PNG Terrain_Practices_Loedaeron_Summer_02.PNG Terrain_Practices_Loedaeron_Summer_03.PNG

8. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    yes,definitely have improved.Keep at it,you're definitely getting better.Just some really 'sharp' raised points in the terrain,if i recall correctly its from the noise tool.Good example is in the 2nd one,in front of the crab
    I do like the lighting especially

9. Ken Christopher

Ken Christopher

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much. Yea, Im still improving this terrain and trying to import all the external textures inside to make it more beautiful.

10. Fang

Fang

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you have to use smaller amounts on the sunlights and bigger amounts on the details such as the grass and the rocks. Higher cliffs would be great to close the far clip on your terrain.

Its a good progress for starters! And also your terrain would be good for the original Warcraft tho :)

11. Razielx5

Razielx5

Resources:
    Resources:
    Keep practicing! Needs some smoothing and transitioning points but all in all good start! Always nice to see new mixtures and creativity, just keep on working and things turn out wonderful usually. Just keep in mind things take time never rush art.