• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Ken Christopher Newbie Terrain Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi,

Posted on 12th Jan 2019

Im on my first terrain with the basics in World Editor. Any feedback I will accept to improve my skills.
It was hard for me to make it for the first time, took about 3 hours to make only 40x40 size of the terrain which shown below

Terrain_Practices_Felwood_03.PNG Terrain_Practices_Felwood_04.PNG Terrain_Practices_Felwood_05.PNG

Posted on 14th Jan 2019

My another terrain practice - Black Citadel Tiles

Terrain_Practices_Black_Citadel_04.PNG Terrain_Practices_Black_Citadel_03.PNG

Last edited:
Level 19
If I may, I respectfully disagree. I thought the use of felwood trees with the outland/Black Citadel tileset was quite interesting. I think these terrains are quite nice, at least for a total beginner. One thing I would suggest is to use the height tool more, particularly to disguise the horizon a bit more, maybe in conjunction with terrain fog. Keep at it, and don't be afraid to try out new or unusal things, it might not always work, but sometimes it will. Good work :)

Level 7
If I may, I respectfully disagree. I thought the use of felwood trees with the outland/Black Citadel tileset was quite interesting. I think these terrains are quite nice, at least for a total beginner. One thing I would suggest is to use the height tool more, particularly to disguise the horizon a bit more, maybe in conjunction with terrain fog. Keep at it, and don't be afraid to try out new or unusal things, it might not always work, but sometimes it will. Good work :)

Thank you for your advice :) Yea at first I was thought that it is very nice when making the terrain, that's why I posted it up here :(. But back then, when I reopen and see....it felt awkward and mismatched. Kinda ruined on the environment. So...I just discontinue with it and came up with a new one yesterday, still in WIP with Sunken Ruin tileset. Much more better.

One thing I would suggest is to use the height tool more, particularly to disguise the horizon a bit more, maybe in conjunction with terrain fog. Keep at it, and don't be afraid to try out new or unusal things, it might not always work, but sometimes it will. Good work :)

Thank you for your suggestion, Alright, I will try to look at it. :)

Last edited:
Level 21
yes,definitely have improved.Keep at it,you're definitely getting better.Just some really 'sharp' raised points in the terrain,if i recall correctly its from the noise tool.Good example is in the 2nd one,in front of the crab
I do like the lighting especially

Level 7
yes,definitely have improved.Keep at it,you're definitely getting better.Just some really 'sharp' raised points in the terrain,if i recall correctly its from the noise tool.Good example is in the 2nd one,in front of the crab
I do like the lighting especially

Thank you very much. Yea, Im still improving this terrain and trying to import all the external textures inside to make it more beautiful.

Level 7
I think you have to use smaller amounts on the sunlights and bigger amounts on the details such as the grass and the rocks. Higher cliffs would be great to close the far clip on your terrain.

Its a good progress for starters! And also your terrain would be good for the original Warcraft tho :)

Level 3
Keep practicing! Needs some smoothing and transitioning points but all in all good start! Always nice to see new mixtures and creativity, just keep on working and things turn out wonderful usually. Just keep in mind things take time never rush art.

Status
Not open for further replies.