• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Little River Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its been along ass time since i posted any terrains that ive done (as horrible as my terrains are), so i made this in about 30 mins - 1 hours at like 5 in the morning when im rly tired (for some reason all my terrains get made when im really tired) anyway its probably got about 5k things wrong with it. I appreciate any feedback (especially positive feedback :p).

Reminds me of when i joined the hive actually, first thing i did was make a rly bad terrain (see my raining beach terrain)---at 5 in the morning.

Attachments

• River Pic1.jpg
    River Pic1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 289
  • River Pic2.jpg
    River Pic2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 251
  • River Pic3.jpg
    River Pic3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 233
  • River Pic4.jpg
    River Pic4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 219
Level 9
Well... it looks kinda weird imo. The river itself is kinda neat, but the surroundings could use alot of work.

Level 7
I like the river, but the surrounding still isn't that appealing. Try using a diff tree? And that thorn bush look horrible. Make rocks in river small. Overall it is nice.

Level 3
yea, get trid of that thorn bush. for tree try making a new doodad with "Bush" as its model and set size to 2.5-2.0 that might look better.(ill link to a picture of mine with the bush as a tree HERE)

Hows this? Thanks for the tip about the better looking trees - ill have to remember that and similar tricks xD, I added 2 more pics (new camera angles).

And if your wondering how i got the river to look like its flowing (its kind of hard to see in the pics) i took the water fall dood-ad set its color to black (0,0,0) and then sunk it just below the terrain so you still get the water going over the top effect - and i set the river to have blue water tinting.

And I dont use any custom dood-ads in my terrains

Attachments

• River Pic1-3.JPG
    River Pic1-3.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 320
  • River Pic2-3.JPG
    River Pic2-3.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 85
  • River Pic3-3.JPG
    River Pic3-3.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 150
  • River Pic4-3.JPG
    River Pic4-3.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 110
  • River Pic5-3.JPG
    River Pic5-3.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 142
  • River Pic6-3.JPG
    River Pic6-3.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 124
  • River Pic7-3.JPG
    River Pic7-3.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Level 7
Well.. I still don't like it how there's all these doodads in the water and then the banks are just completely bare. ;/

Level 9
There are usually rocks in rivers but maybe not so many, and like Karzvitch said, the river's detailed but the bank is not very decorated. I feel naked.

Level 6
Ok here's a quick tutorial...
1. Create a new map with Initial Cliff Height of 4 and with Intial Water Level: Shallow Water
2. Create the Map
3. Go to Advanced and Uncheck Enforce Water Height Limits
4. Use the Increase One Cliff Tool to raise the entire map
5. Use the Apply Height: Lower Tool until you see water peeking through
6. Carve the river into the Map
7. Smooth the edges and then add doodads and terrain
Voila
You got urself a river

Level 6
Well No.... Add Shallow Water to the spot you want then lower it. So your not exactly screwed... You dont have to make the entire map shallow water.

Well now i should remark on the Terrain
WAY to many doodads in the river
Your Trees are A bit too Big...
All in all, besides the stuff I said above it's ok

Last edited:
Lol burgur bling its alot easier than that just do this: Create your map with entirley shallow water with cliff hieght 0 (doesnt really matter though) Then use the raise tool and when raised enough shall water becomes land. Where you would normally have a cliff use pathing blockers (theres probably a tutoriral). It also works the other way ~ lowered enough shallow water looks like deep water ~ but like i said: find a tutorial.

Level 1
no offense but it seems to tacky, why is there so many rocks??? your going extremes, you need to even the doodad placement out and concentrate on the whole picture not just the river.

Itll look better with different elements (law of unordered spacing).

Status
Not open for further replies.