• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have a villager model that is attacking with the left hand, but i want it to attack with the right hand.
What is the simplest way to revert the animations so as it would attack with the right hand? Can Magos model editor do such a thing? I know it can do translations, rotations, scaling on some parts of the model, but i suppose it's a whole different story for changing animations.

Level 18
Well... You can, but it's very, very slow and time-consuming. Copy the rotation scripts for this animation from the left bones to their corresponding right bones (for example from Bone_Arm1_L to Bone_Amr_R and vice versa). Then, for ALL bones (including the ones that are centrally located, like Bone_Root and Bone_Chest) linearize animations. Then reverse the values of all rotations around the X and Z axis (the first and third value in each row).

Last edited:
Level 18
Go to "Windows - Sequence Manager" and open the sequence you want to edit (Attack, Stand, Walk etc.) The values you must remember are "From" and "To" (the starting and ending frame of the animation sequence) and edit their corresponding sets of rotation values for each bone.

Level 4
I found my animation, it lasts from frame 191000 to 192000. Does it mean that i have to modify the values for each of the 1000 frames? And where do i find the bones position for..lets say...frame 191500, so i can can change them?

Level 18
No, no, no, no.

If your animation is from 191000 to 192000, in the rotation data of every bone you should have some keyframes in this interval (191000, 191250, 191600, 191911, 192000 for example). Change their values and you're done.

Level 4
Ok, so far so good. I managed to swap each member values and I made them linear. Now the right hand attacks, only in the opposite direction. You said I should reverse the values of each rotation around the Z axis (3rd value in each row). By that I understood that I should change the sign of the value from - to + and vicevesa (for example 0.35 to -0.35) and I did that. But not much has changed, now it's even worse then before. Are you sure I should change the values only for the Z axis?

Level 3
Dude just open your Villager model in MDLVis and try to edit attack animation visually. Google MDLVis and read tutorials at their site, have funz.

Level 4
It works! I needed to revert the X and Z values. Thx for your advice and patience. +rep

Level 18
Yeah, I should have figured out that rotations on these two axes involve left-right movement. If the model's buggy ingame, open it in MdlVis and oerform Optimize > Canonization. It does bug sometimes when manually adjusting keyframes.

Status
Not open for further replies.