• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just another RPG (Looking for 1-2 dedicated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello all potential co-editors. I am looking to start a long running RPG type game. After browsing through the forum at the dozens of started and failed RPG games, it is quite apparent that people who want "teams" of people to work on a map generally end up failing. Seriously, who needs a tooltipper, three terrainers, two "concept artists", four graphic artists, nine promoters, and a 12 year old creaming himself to your custom import of illidan that is only 2.1 mb in size?

If the above statement interests you, then please, continue reading. If you find fallacy in that statement, then this project is not for you.

Continued Ranting/Some personal values:
I feel that a great game is based on a very strong foundation.
Having 400 levels does not make a game great.
Having 3000 almost identical quests does not make a game great.
In 9 out of 10 games, a player will pick the dark elf or illidan, assuming they havent played the game before. Why? Those heroes are generally the most OP.
If not, then there is a really sweet looking custom import somewhere, and you know for a fact that THAT guy is insane.
A great game is based on balance and playability.
Players need to be challneged at all points of the game; but not challenged by say, a creature with 500 HP and 30 DPS. Then a similar one, with 10% more of both, and so on, and so forth.
A game should not suck until you get to "late game"
nor should a game only be played for the sake of "late game".
At no point in a game should a single person be able to solo a boss in their level range.
More importantly, at no point should a class of hero be useless for anything but a boss fight.
Seriously, ever tried to roll a healer or tank in... ANY game? Unless you find a competent party, you can accomplish nothing.

What I am looking for in a co-editor:
I need an every-man. Unless you have experience doing almost anything, this game will not get too far. Basic and advanced triggering is needed. Why? Because second opinions matter, on both ends. Terraining is a must; I am not great at it. Together, we can me mediocre! Creativity is also insanely important. I dont want someone who is gonna sit there and ask "what next?" If you can get stumped that easily, then you are not "feeling" the map; you are just going through the actions.
Overall, I need someone who can make their ideas come to life.

What does Glorn have to offer:
I wouldn't ask anything of co-editor that I wouldn't myself be willing to do. I can terrain, I can trigger, I can create custom abilities, enhance existing ones, make decent graphics, create unique and balanced concepts, and most of all; I show dedication to a project. Because of how masive I would like this project to be, I have decided to make it a small group project; for those of you wondering why I dont just make the damn thing myself if I'm so smart.
My credentials exist in the mildly popular Custom Hero Arena. www.chao.forumclan.net for the forum. Check out v-bot on any server if you want to test it. Pretty much, it is a custom hero game; that is, you pick your hero and skills, and level and fight. What sets it apart from any other custom hero game in WC3 is the level of balance. There are well over 100 unique, equally playable builds (over 6 billion possible builds, but let face it, it isnt too unique to change 1 skill or the hero). I created the entirity of that game by myself, of course with the help of testers, IE, the general public.

The RPG project:
Right now, this project hasnt been started, at all. I figured it would be best to discuss any direction first. My only thing is "no anime". Lets create our own little world, with our own little names, and our own little back story. I dont want anyone thinking "How can we make this look cool" but rather "how can we make this be cool". again, reference to custom imports.
My ideas:
I would like the game to be quite slow paced, where levels matter a decent bit. Slow paced with a lot of content for each level. I feel a lot of RPGs are the basic "kill these till level 10, then go over here, kill these until 30; then find someone to AFK farm these for you until 60". And BAM, in 6 hours of playing an RPG, you are more than halfway through it without doing anything. Then you buy some cheap high level gear and go back and solo the stuff you missed. NO, DO NOT LIKE!
How can this be solved? -- MULTIPLE GAMES! That's right! Lets say, glornsRPG1 is for level 1-50 play; nice and slow. then, we move into an entire new map, glornsRPG2, for levels 40-80, then glornsRPG3 for levels 70-100. Of course, the game will start with only 1 version of the game, and the additions to it will be like expansions.
Classes: I think a dozen hero classes is a good deal. 8-12 offers ample variety. Balance would be the biggest issue. It needs to be possible for tanks and healers to level alone if need be. It also needs to be imposible for a hardcore DPS hero to get all jacked up on life and armor and solo the entire game. Both faults I have found with every RPG I have ever played; and will have to be addressed through items and heroes themselves, along with abilities.

Level 4
I am interested. I can terrain decently, I am decent with triggers, I cannot do custom abilities or Buffs worth a damn though. And Jass and vJass I cannot do. Mostly everything else I am able to do. feel free to ask :p

Edit: I can also do a lot of help in the back story and storyline actual concepts. I myself have been looking to start a long running RPG map but can't do it myself :D

So pm me or hit me up on msn! :D
Much love,
-TimeDead

Status
Not open for further replies.