• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for help on making SpellWars custom map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
-Looking for experienced World Editor master to help out with custom map.
-Map is 1v1 simplified moba/td where you control wizard and can only cast Spells to defeat enemy.
-If game becomes popular in WC3 Remaster plan is to make it Game Engine.

BIO:

Heya! I am huge WC3 custom maps fan. Played a lot of them and some of my favorite are Castle Fight, Dota, Elemental Tower Defense, X hero siege etc...
I am working as a Visual Effects Artist in gaming industry but this is passion project for me.
This Idea was inspired by Castle Fight map but instead of focus being on building units you are casting spells.
I was working on this game at my previous company and saw huge potential in bringing Competitive gaming to mobile for 1v1 quick games. However company didnt get the number it was expecting from casual players so they decided to clone some other game and this game was lost to me. I am passionate gamer and I think this game has a chance to become big. Since I am not experienced in coding for me the smartest way to make this is to use WC3 World Builder and that is why I am here.

INFO:

I am looking for someone with World Editor experience to help me out make a custom map. This is side project for me but I want to make it before Reforge come so its ready to be played when Reforge is out. I just started using the World Editor and its really powerful but I am not experienced with coding and some stuff I am trying to make would require someone with exp in making custom stuff.

The Map is relatively simple but has a lot of depth: Its 1v1 (line defender) where you cant control units that are being spawned (similar to MOBA) and you have a Hero that you cant move but all you can do is cast spells to change the tides of the battlefield. Before starting the game you select the Wizard that has 1 passive special ability and then you take X number of spells. Those spells are like a cards in CCG games. They shuffle and in any given moment you can cast 1 of 4 spells that you have. Each spell is connected to your passive ability helping you out do combos with spells. Depending on Hero you select some of them will better support your units and some will bring destruction to the enemy troops. Units are spawning from the "spawn points - spawners" You start with some and earn gold to activate others.
I am planning on having around 50 spells per wizard and all of them totally different. That way you would have a lot of customization and ways to play.
Here is a layout of how map looks. 1v1, 2 wizards, 4 towers, 6 spawns per player. 1 winner!
Whoever loves to outsmart enemy in 1v1 combat and is up for a challenge can MP me.

Attachments

• Spellwars.jpg
    Spellwars.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
Level 2
Well not mobile game now ofc. I am planning to make the map playble for Reforged and I will see how it goes from there. Probably continue supporting the map until I see there is potential in bringing it to PC/Mobile as stand alone.

Level 2
Its really calculated how much the map is big, also its 1v1...Imagine it as a Mid line in DOTA between Sentinel to Scourge first tower. Its more about mechanics of the combat than size. Here is the game I worked on. It will explain better how combat works. If you take a look at more of the videos you will see what the game is about.

Last edited:
Level 6
It´s surprisingly refreshing style of a game! Thanks for posting video.

I never played this game but, (so maybe take it with a grain of salt) I think it would be improved by making some interaction between statuses/buffs, like for ex. freezing some minion and then shattering it or making it wet then lightning, etc. (IF it´s not already in the game)

And improve even more by NOT making it a card game. But making it a normal heroes with inventories and many many spells with variable mechanics like for ex. mana, rage, shards, various stats, some spells having cooldown to start some requiring another thing to cast. edit: it would need to be very creative, some Heroes could use cards, some not, etc.

One question: are you a 3d artist? Roughly How much would you charge for making 50% of such graphics for a PC game, or what is the cost in industry? (roughly this quality and lets say 30 different units and 30 different spells and 30 UI pieces) Or is Visual Effect Artist spell and those flashy click only?

Level 2
Too bad the game is dead. Developers didnt want to continue the production of the game cos it was too "complicated" for mobile audience. The elemental combination is on my list (since I saw how well is done in Divinity: Original Sin games).
If heroes have Inventories and predefined spells than it becomes just another MOBA. (This is something that I've been thinking about few years ago but ill give it another thought) Only problem is that it would be really challenging to make this work on Mobile so that is why I am sticking to the simple controls for now.
The different recources of heros is not on my list now cos it would complicate the mechanics.
I first need to make the combat work and then Ill start working on simple spells, and as I learn how to make them I can create more complicated spells.

For the rest of the info i will PM you.

Level 2
Could you please give me names of the maps with same concept? I would like to try them out. Also your map, if finished.

Tnx

Level 14
There is a cell phone game called battle royal(and one word I forgot before or after battle royal) and its clone army(any cell phone game that is successful get a clone army)
My map got qualified as sub standard so I guess it is not really interesting to show you my map but I trained at scripting so I can try to help you do your project.
(sorry I checked and in my map there is a difference: the units are controllable but usually I leave them without control and only do stuff such as regrouping from time to time and that could be done with a spell if I script it)

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah, I know about Clash Royale. We were in production with Spellsould for 2 years when they released the game. It was super strange to see someone make almost the same game as you like the idea was leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.