• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jungle Trolls Reborn 2.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Jungle Trolls is a survival rpg, a successor of the Jungle Troll Tribes, created by A.Dominion.

The GAMEPLAY:
You must survive, gather resources and build your village to bring your tribe to the top rank of the ultimate jungle predator.
You can choose among 5 hero classes, having different skills and item recipes:
The fierce and mighty WARRIOR,
The silent and insidious HUNTER,
The wise and creepy SHAMAN,
The ingenious and crafty INVENTOR,
The tough and primitive DIRE TROLL.
You should craft various weapons, items and buildings, dependant on the class of the chosen troll and the necessities of the tribe. If you play this map for the first time, I recommend you to play as a Dire Troll - he is more tough and surviving than others, has no crafting skills and is good to familiarize with the game.
This is a multiplayer-only game! Though possible, playing it alone is not recommended (also of balance reasons - it is very likely an unkontrolled by players animal reproduction to lead to lag, stuttering and alike).

The BALANCE:
Many small fixes since version 1.2c; the most important ones are:
- bow shooting speed decreased a bit;
- plants growing time increased (due to complains it is too easy to get rich by farming);
- crabs are weaker.

TECHNICAL ISSUES:
The game consumes more RAM than most others maps, caused by the big map size, many units and the most - by memory leaks because of the many functions, addressed to players and specific characters. Although it is more playable than older versions, as much as I have tested, due to better after-edit optimizing (thank to Vexorian's tools).

The Reborn series are totally reworked and, as much as I hope, much better in balance, gameplay and pure trollish evil.
Enjoy it and let me say: Deiwannawangaaaa!...
Contents

Jungle Trolls Reborn 2.0 (Map)

Reviews
15:53, 4th Dec 2008 Rui: A more recent version has already been uploaded.

M

15:53, 4th Dec 2008
Rui:
A more recent version has already been uploaded.

Level 11
Hey, good people, be kind and leave some comments about what you like and what you don't... And I presume they are some bugs left, and some of them can be actually fixed! I have noticed one already. So, once again, if you like this game, write a sentence or two to tell me I have not wasted my time working on it. It was a quite long work, by the way.

D

D

Level 1
Hi, i've tested your map and here goes. It's quite a fun concept. Except that is kinda laggy. But it might be due to its size. But for new people like us who are trying it out, it's kinda intimidating when you first get in. And the tips that you present to newbies via the -newbee action is kinda fast. So you might wanna show it in the quest log instead. But all in all, it's good. Keep up the good work.

Level 11
You're right about tips, but they are almost the same since the old versions, only changed a bit. I have no nerves to write tips, but, really, I should update it and write a tutorial or something in the quest log. Until that - you can still learn the game in single player or visit my site: www.igrite.dir.bg (only in Bulgarian for now, sorry for that).
But I must repeat once again - this game is fantastic for multiplayer, when you build at least two teams of 2-4 experienced trolls, some of them talking through Skype, build a good village and do a good Tribes War!

Level 1
I thoroughly enjoyed your map gadina_prokleta, Jungle Trolls Reborn is an excellent gaming experience, especially in multiplayer. The difficulty modes are well set out, although it is a significant learning curve I would say that it is very rewarding all together. My only cause for concern however is that the food bar and energy bar decrease too fast, if you could tone them down slightly I think it would be much better. Of course, if you lower the food drain too much it is too easy, so I understand why you made it hard, but I feel that the energy bar is definitely too fast. Altogether this is a very rewarding map and I am glad you made it. Thanks.

5/5

P.S. I would like to know, do animals respawn in the same place? Or do you need to kill a nest, then find the next area in order to get more?

Level 11
I'm really happy that someone is enjoyed the map the way I do! : ) And I gladly answer your questions, FellDian:

About the food/heat/energy balance I need to say that it is meant to be hard but not annoying, so a slight decrease is possible, though I need to think about it. Consider that energy regeneration increases with level (according to hero class, the warrior for example is really a bit sleepy one), heat can be easily eliminated if you make some soft-leather clothes (which means you will have less defense, so the choice always is between survival and battle hardiness), and hunger is no problem if you always carry a stack of Meat Stew or learn the locations of berry bushes on map.

In this version of Reborn (2.0) the most "economically important" animals are breeding - that means that when the time comes, the already grown animal has a chance to have offspring (for most animal types it is 20% to have one baby, 20% for two, 20% for three and 40% for none). The baby is spawned next the "mother" and can walk around and gather energy for growing. The "mother", however, becomes old, regardless if she had an offspring, or the bad 40%, and her energy starts to lower. When it becomes 0, the old animal dies and drops nothing ("decay"). So if you want nothing to be wasted, you should attack only old animals - they are a bit stronger, but drop some more resources. The whole point is that the map is kept different each game - on some places animals will perish "naturally" or be eaten by trolls, but on some other parts of the map in time will be formed whole herds/packs of animals, which can be attacked only by the whole tribe!

Some other animals like the birds, mosquitoes and snakes do only respawn - if you kill one, after a day or two another will be created around the place you killed it.

Level 1
Thanks a lot for that hasty reply. I have never had any problems with heat as I have always been able to set up tents and fires quite quickly, and in response to what you said about energy, I always go warrior so that might be my problem. Two questions though about the animals, what indicator is there of age? Just so I know how to differentiate old animals from young animals, and does a young animal need an older animal to grow up or spawn new ones?

Also, with food I found my own solution. I had only ever searched the centre and the east, so I did not know about the abundance of boars to the west. So that should cure my food problems.

Thanks again for the map.

Level 11
Happy to see an intelligent warrior, you're really a rare species :D

The warrior is really unstoppable, but he has that two weaknesses: slow movement and few energy. The only thing you can do about the second one is to sacrifice one inventory slot and to always carry a tent or energy restoring potions.

The age of animals is their energy. All animals have the same energy regeneration rate (0.10/sec) and when they gain full energy, they grow up/bear younglings; with old animals it's the opposite - they begin to lose they full energy and when it becomes 0, they die. So the more energy - the slower growth; 50 energy = 500 seconds = 1 day in-game.

The name of the animal indicates its age: piglet - boar - old hog, bunny - rabbit - fat rabbit, bear cub - bear - old bear and alike. And no, young animals do not need "parents" to grow up, except for protection against greedy troles ;)

Level 1
Thanks a lot, now I know what to kill and what to leave alive. But I haven't seen any potions yet, is that for Shamans? Also, what is the purpose of the tauren merchant and the old troll chieftan?

Level 11
To mix potions you need to build a Cauldron. It is used to cook meat all the time (and cooks it better!) without wasting wood. Inside there are recipes for potions, made of herbs.
By the way - you can extract herb seeds, using the Shaman Hut (or beeing a Shaman), to plant them and grow more herbs.
The Tauren Merchant sells some rare items and resources for gold. Gold you get by selling unneeded things to the Merchant Shop (a basic crafted building). One VERY valuable item, sold by him, is the New Soul Pact, which enables you to restore your soul if sold to Devil (if you're still alive, because second dying = Game Over). Though it is recommended to never sell your soul but simply ask your teammates to build a God Totem where you can revive.
The Troll Chieftain once had a purpose - to give you quests, which weren't too rewarding by my opinion and I disabled them. I plan somewhere in the future, when the most important things are fixed, to create some good quests also.

Level 3
I have a few problems with this. Keep in mind I only played it 5 sec single player just to see what this lamo class is "Dire troll" he cant build so thats a -10 points right off.

Basicly you simple took A great map and fucked it up. what little good you may or maynot have dont is quickly over powered by every thing you messed up. My view of this map my not be so harsh if the "dire troll" was more thought out instead of noobishly placed.
When I read "Is good in Walking around and Asking stupid question" I knew you fucked this map up.
I rated this a 2 because it once was a good map. In the future make your own map and not mod some one elses. Its better for every one that way and the people on battle.net dont get confused on what very they should and should'nt play.

You did give him credit, that amazed me. Most moders dont do that, they simply change a few things and paste there name over the orignal maker. This gives me hope you could make good maps on your own. and Hope you do sence you seem to have the understanding as to how.

Level 11
I am very disappointed by your comment. Would you please play the map more than 5 seconds before judging it? How could you know what I have messed up and what not, if you haven't played the map?

I took a good map and updated and rebalanced every single thing into it. I took permission from the author and I gave credit to him. I have a really serious attitude to this thing and I gave credit to everyone who created a resource I used or who helped with the map.

At first I did not meant to create a new troll class, but because of the many complains the game is too hard to understand and play, I made a "Noobish Troll", used to give newbees a chance to survive and learn the game, instead of just die in the beginning and piss off. He has no crafting, because newbees usually cannot craft whatever. It is better if they don't try it in the beginning and waste important resources for unneeded things. And, for God's sake, why are you interested only about troll classes? It is the thing I have changed the less! I have created some wonderful and complicated trigger functions, what about them? What about the animal reproduction balance, the herbs planting and growing, the prayers at totem, the animal capturing and recipe inventions?

This was my first map, although I worked on it very carefully and responsively. I am working on another, which will be made completely by me - excluding terrain. Will you leave the same comment on it, without playing it?

Once again - play the map and do not judge things you do not know. Otherwise I would think you are just jealous.