• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jungle Troll "Tier 3 Ownage Device"

What should the "Tier 3 Ownage Device" for the Jungle Trolls be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hello, all; got a quick query for ya'll.

In fact, this is more like a crowd-sourcing fact-checker; I'd like to pick the brains of the masses to get an idea of what is cool, and what is not, and most importantly why.

The Question:
What would a Jungle Troll race (i.e. Shadow Hunter, Witch Doctor, Batrider, Headhunter/Berserker, etc) have as a "Tier 3 Ownage Device"**?

**If you are unfamiliar with the term, please refer to MCV's excellent Design Guide to the Fifth Race over at Wc3C; lots of pertinent information & guidelines there, as well as terminology.

As detailed in this Guide, each race has anywhere from 1 to 3 different "high-tier" units that can only be trained at Tier 3; however, each race has a "capital unit" (think Battlecruiser/Carrier/Ultralisk from Starcraft) that strikes fear into the enemy heart; residing in their own dedicated Barracks, they arrive to shake the world. The stalwart Gryphon Riders, the powerful Tauren, the commanding Frost Wyrm, and the ravenous Chimera; all fill their enemies with awe (in different ways).

The question is: for Jungle Trolls, what?

The Options (Elaborated):
(I'll be very brief for time's sake, and to allow your creativity to flow; these are just a few of my ideas. I'd love to hear your own & your own twists; that's why I've included "Other"!)
  • 1) The Flying Mook (i.e. "Swamp Drake"): Just like everyone else; can't beat a classic? A massive flying creature, bound to protecting the ancient Trollish homes. All I can think of is a dragon-type thing (but smaller, for swamps). What else flies in the swamp/jungle?
  • 2) The Flying Mook & Co (i.e. "Giant Bat & Bat Swarm"): In keeping with the Trollish tradition of riding bats and killing things, enter this little nightmare; a mounted Giant Bat with a swarm of little Batlings following him around to shred opposing aerial units while his rider bombs the heck outta stuff. Think "Guardian & 20 Scourge" from Starcraft?
  • 3) The Creepy Mook (i.e. "Anaconda" or "Mother Spider" or "Super Hydra"): Nothing says "Troll" like a giant creepy-crawly; perhaps a massive, constricting Anaconda or insidiously poisonous Super-Spider?
  • 4) The Mounted Mook (i.e. "Saurid Rider"): Throw a brutal Troll warrior on an equally-brutal mini-dino/lizard-thing, and you got a recipe for disaster. And pain.
  • 5) The Magical Mook (i.e. "Ritual Warrior"): Combine the two things Trolls love most; powerful voodoo magicks and nasty warrior skillz. Like the Shadow Hunter was supposed to be, only cooler? :p
  • 6) The Fire-Crazy Mook (i.e. "Tiki Torchmon"): Go all Tribal and Cultural with this Polynesian throwback; nothing says "insanity" like a race afraid of fire THROWING FIRE. Burly Trollish acrobat and magician, tossing fire & torchin' da place?
  • 7) The Ultra-Guerrilla Mook (i.e. "Predator" or "Jungle Dartmon"): Nothing else screams Troll like Guerrilla Warfare; well these guys are the cream of the crop. Strong, fast; quick, agile; attacking air and ground with the greatest of ease... Just all-around good and powerful. And brutal. And tribal. Capiche?
  • 8) The OTHER: Please explain!

There's plenty more where that came from, but I wanna hear from you!

Thanks again! Tell your friends; there may not be a "right" answer. I'd just like to get as wide an opinion as possible.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
2, 3 or 8 (swamp monsters?)

How about a Hydra? Apparently, Sand Trolls kept one. It wouldn't be far-fetched for Jungle Trolls to do the same. Hydras are also notorious for the regenerative abilities which can also be attributed to Trolls.

Thank you both for your thoughts. : )

Interesting points to be made... I too could kinda see a big nasty swamp dweller, and Hydra's fit the bill. I'm not sure about Sand Trolls, but definitely Swamp-related (good point as well on regeneration). I'm a little leery, though, because the existing Hydra model is so well known, it'd really have to be an interesting model edit/alternate version in order to stand out & be useful.

Someone voted for "Ultra-Guerrilla Mook". Any thoughts?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A combination of 5 and 7 for a T3 ground unit. Although trolls have mounts (bat rider) I doubt they are much use in a dens jungle. They also seem to like to do things personally which is why WC3 had no land mounted trolls as far as I can recall. You must remember the high level creep troll commander which was not the easiest creep to kill and boasted powerful command aura and high damage. Something along those lines but with more tactics involved.

A ranged unit which has ensnare and night time invisibility when stationary. Deals pretty high ranged damage and moves fast but has poor health compared with other T3. It boasts enhanced regeneration capabilities regenerating at 0.5-1% max health a second innately.

Their stealth, speed and net ability makes them very dangerous to fight, capable of killing melee attackers from safety staggering. Their weakness is to other range attackers and if they are slowed since they have T3 damage but more towards T2/T2.5 health. Their high regeneration makes health management a non-issue as even a minute out of battle and they will probably be full healed.

Snare could be replaced with another passive that improves their damage. Every attack they make increases damage and attack speed slightly up to a maximum of X attacks.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
With regards to the regeneration schtick, you can give the Hydra extremely high regeneration rate but make it susceptible to magic damage by giving it a revised version of the Elune's Grace ability of Night Elves.
Interesting, that's actually not a bad idea at all (in general); I like the idea of balanced 'strengths/weaknesses', and I never thought of using a reverse Elune's Grace to achieve magic weakness. (I hope that works; too many cool TheoryCraft ideas I've had have failed to work). Though this could perhaps be achieved through merely giving him Heavy armor (weak to magic, IIRC).

A combination of 5 and 7 for a T3 ground unit. Although trolls have mounts (bat rider) I doubt they are much use in a dens jungle. They also seem to like to do things personally which is why WC3 had no land mounted trolls as far as I can recall. You must remember the high level creep troll commander which was not the easiest creep to kill and boasted powerful command aura and high damage. Something along those lines but with more tactics involved.

A ranged unit which has ensnare and night time invisibility when stationary. Deals pretty high ranged damage and moves fast but has poor health compared with other T3. It boasts enhanced regeneration capabilities regenerating at 0.5-1% max health a second innately.

Their stealth, speed and net ability makes them very dangerous to fight, capable of killing melee attackers from safety staggering. Their weakness is to other range attackers and if they are slowed since they have T3 damage but more towards T2/T2.5 health. Their high regeneration makes health management a non-issue as even a minute out of battle and they will probably be full healed.

Snare could be replaced with another passive that improves their damage. Every attack they make increases damage and attack speed slightly up to a maximum of X attacks.
Very interesting, and thoughtful feedback/ideas. A few thoughts:
Dr Super Good said:
Although trolls have mounts (bat rider) I doubt they are much use in a dens jungle. They also seem to like to do things personally which is why WC3 had no land mounted trolls as far as I can recall.
True, which is why when it comes to Aerial units I'm leaning them more towards Orc then Night Elf (few, i.e. 2 or so) (also helped by the fact that I couldn't think of anything that flew in a swamp :p). Currently I've got a Vampire Bat (tiny swarming Gargoyle-type) and the Bom-bat-ier (bigger badder Batrider, long-range siege probs...), and that might be enough for me.

However, I'll argue against the "no land-mounted trolls" from a standpoint that the Trolls are severely under-represented in Wc3. TFT went a long way towards making them feel more like a faction (which is part of what convinced me to mod them :p). Now, while I am very careful about the kind of inspiration I draw from WoW, I do think the idea of Raptor- (& other lizard/dino-) mounted J.Trolls is both fitting, necessary, and awexome. :p I've even begun messing with the idea of Insect-mounts (perhaps a Spider-mounted 'Caster' unit; nothing like a "cavalry-caster" to keep things interesting. :p)

Dr. Super Good said:

This is a really detailed summary. I like.
Now, I'll explain that I have some limitations; I already have innately high regeneration for the whole race (like, 1.5 or 2.0 set to "All Times", I think), so I'm not sure how much higher this guy can get without being OP. :p More importantly, as a "5th-race addition", I cannot re-use abilities such as Ensnare or Hide (however, I interpreted your comments as "give him a disable" & "give him a form of stealth", which are already in the works).

Dr. Super Good said:
You must remember the high level creep troll commander which was not the easiest creep to kill and boasted powerful command aura and high damage. Something along those lines but with more tactics involved.
That's a really good point/comparison.

I'm really curious, though; what drew you away ('ideologically', I suppose) from the "common" concept of a 'big freakin dragon-dude' or some such? Is it just (as you said) about the "not many flyers in the swamp"? I kinda assumed that the general lay-person would try to recreate the Blizzard 'stereotype' in this fashion, whereas you have (as only a few others) instead went with the example Blizzard set with the Tauren; change things up a bit & "epitomize" the faction for the T3OD (which faction, being not focused on aerial prowess but martial strength, would indeed have their T3OD as the biggest, beefiest damage-dealer (technically they deal about the same damage, but have the highest HP of any "beefy fighter unit" aside from the Mountain Giant).

This idea of a sort of "super-guerrilla warrior", with high regeneration and speed, low-ish health/armor, but an emphasis on utility & survivability really appeals in some ways. However, I have concerns both about "too many generic warriors" and about "replacing the need for the early-tier combat units" (i.e. Knight replaces Footman, except Knight's can't Defend (so Footmen still have usefulness late-game)). Thoughts?

Also, I'm curious if what you're saying would be ruined/changed too much by the idea of having him be Melee (but keeping a ranged anti-air attack, for viability). (funny story; I actually had to cut back on the number of Melee units in my faction; I did some charts & realized that literally no faction has more than 3 (and most have 2, 2.5), whereas my Trolls (generally considered to emphasize "ranged prowess", right?) had 3-4. Totally inadvertent.)

Thanks again for your thoughts, everyone. I'd love to see even more people hearing about this.

Level 11
This is a purely aesthetic suggestion, i.e I am not suggesting spell and attributes data.
Wc3 Trolls because of their regenerative abilities have always led me to give them a reptilian bearing (also green skin and the number of phalangical digits). Considering these features I would appoint a reptilian or semi-reptilian demi god creature as Tier 3 unit.

Mesoamerican deity Quetzalcoatl comes to mind. We can always deviate from the usual feathered flying serpent representation and turn it into a land unit. It can possess several arms (4 to 6) and perhaps can disembowel units. It can be of gigantic proportions and possess great strength. Considering its demi-god status perhaps it can cannibalize on lesser units and enemy corpses to heal itself.

Just my two cents.

Other than that I really like the idea of dino mounts. (for obvious reason, as I am into dinos)
Edit: voted for saurid rider.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This is a purely aesthetic suggestion, i.e I am not suggesting spell and attributes data.
Thank you. I can go either way, but honestly the former is more useful, as (when it comes to it), certain abilities or attributes just do or do not work within the parameters that I have. But the "idea" is what I'm looking for as a base; after that, I can always come up with abilities/attributes for it. : ) (though again, those don't hurt)

NKnight said:
Wc3 Trolls because of their regenerative abilities have always led me to give them a reptilian bearing (also green skin and the number of phalangical digits). Considering these features I would appoint a reptilian or semi-reptilian demi god creature as Tier 3 unit.

Mesoamerican deity Quetzalcoatl comes to mind. We can always deviate from the usual feathered flying serpent representation and turn it into a land unit. It can possess several arms (4 to 6) and perhaps can disembowel units. It can be of gigantic proportions and possess great strength. Considering its demi-god status perhaps it can cannibalize on lesser units and enemy corpses to heal itself.

Just my two cents.

Other than that I really like the idea of dino mounts. (for obvious reason, as I am into dinos)
Edit: voted for saurid rider.

Definitely worth more than 2 cents in my book. Thank you.

I'm getting a definite "regenerative" vibe from people (which is good, since I thought of it as well). I think that would definitely make sense for a super-Troll (epitomically) to have super-Regeneration; I just have to figure out if that's balanced, given the racial trait of super-Regeneration. :p

I actually rather like your "pseudo-Quetzalcouatl" idea... Although I think I have to draw some more definite lines between "Hero" and "T3OD", since a lot of my ideas for the two have been traded back and forth. Case in point, I have a 'reptilian-aligned super-warrior' in the form of the "Viper Priestess", and I have a 'saurid rider' (more or less) in the form of the "Warbringer". Hmm.....

Level 1
so however nice regeneration fits with trolls you mentioned you have that already so i'd go for another aspect as the special unit.

so why not make a jungle-stalker rider? stat wise id make him a bit more powerful than other T3OD units but since its a wild beast and hard to control maybe give it a chance to strike your own units in combat or something like that.

he might even meelee attack flyers because of his sheer size :) well just an idea

I didn't read the other posts, but the flyers struck me as most fitting. It may depend on the race composition though. If you already have 3+ flyers, then I think you should go for a ground unit. If you have only 0-1 flyers, I think it would make sense to have a flyer for tier-3. If you have 2, then I would be on the fence about it. It is your call.

Out of the ground units, I like the Ritual Warrior. It would be cool to have a caster/strength combo. I would really love a full-blown caster like the fire guy, but I feel like it could be difficult to balance. It would certainly be fun though, so I would be tied between those two.

Overall, kudos to the ideas. They all sound pretty exciting!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I didn't read the other posts, but the flyers struck me as most fitting. It may depend on the race composition though. If you already have 3+ flyers, then I think you should go for a ground unit. If you have only 0-1 flyers, I think it would make sense to have a flyer for tier-3. If you have 2, then I would be on the fence about it. It is your call.
Interesting. I originally leaned in that direction as well (early takes were a "swamp drake" and a "voodoo barge", lol). However, no race has more than '4' (H: 3, O: 2, U: 3, N: 3.5.5 (hippogryph rider and storm-crow form are both half)), so 3 is definitely a max in my book. More importantly, I made a thematic decision that, being Jungle-dwellers, it doesn't make sense for the Trolls to have a whole lot in the way of an "air force"; mostly bats & bat-riders (perhaps insects, but meh).
So to fit thematically as well as creatively, I went & stuck with 2 ("vampire bat" and "bom-bat-ier"). Some have questioned the intelligence of 2 "bat" units, but I have yet to hear a solid argument against.

/rant :p

PurgeandFire said:
Out of the ground units, I like the Ritual Warrior. It would be cool to have a caster/strength combo. I would really love a full-blown caster like the fire guy, but I feel like it could be difficult to balance. It would certainly be fun though, so I would be tied between those two.
Interesting. If anything, the "Ritual Warrior" (aka "Tiki Warrior" aka "Sacred Warrior" aka "(Tiki) Templar" aka "(Tiki) Temple Guard"...) is more of the "full-blown caster" (or at least a "mage/warrior hybrid"), whereas the "fire guy" is arguably "caster/strength". And "fire". :p
Honestly I'm having a difficult time distinguishing those two, but I am leaning towards a "Tiki Torchmon" who is the "magic-enhanced super-warrior" (more Warrior than Mage), and a "Ritual/etc Warrior" who is similar to the Terran Ghost; a "spellcaster with some combat applications".
Part of the question lies in whether or not to make an explicit link between the two (i.e. "Tiki Warrior" and "Tiki Torchmon"). Both are built at the same "barracks" so it has some pros and cons.

PurgeandFire said:
Overall, kudos to the ideas. They all sound pretty exciting!
Well thanks. That's kinda the hope (that I can come up with interesting ideas) and also the problem (too many to choose between). :p

Thank you for your comments! : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Lol, y'know, I forgot/failed to put the "big lumbering voodoo construct" and "big lumbering dire troll" options up there, didn't I? Well, suffice it to say I have never felt that a Dire Troll was a sufficiently "epitomal" element of the Trollish race (maybe for Amani...), though he could take place somewhere else in the race.
And surprisingly, I was seriously considering the "mojo golem" of sorts for a while there... I think I finally walked away from it for a couple of reasons I'm sure were good (one of the biggest being "too much mana regen" and "didn't have a model for it). However, I wouldn't say no if one popped up; I do have a Campaign to think about, after all. :p

And "Rhino"? Lol, who's the Lore-pro now? :p Where exactly would Jungle Trolls get a rhino?? : )

Level 7
As you will see when I upload a file and send it to you, Gurubashi trolls have dire trolls too, same as the ones in hinterland so Dire trolls would be a valid option. The mojo construct is a Drakari thing same as the Rhinos. The reason I put them here is that it is 3:30 am here and idk what I am doing.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As you will see when I upload a file and send it to you, Gurubashi trolls have dire trolls too, same as the ones in hinterland so Dire trolls would be a valid option. The mojo construct is a Drakari thing same as the Rhinos. The reason I put them here is that it is 3:30 am here and idk what I am doing.
Oh yeah, I know Gurubashi have Dire Trolls. I didn't say I c/w/shouldn't include them in the Jungle Trolls; merely that they do not strike me as the "epitome of the race" in the same way the Gryphon Rider/Tauren/Frost Wyrm/Chimaera do theirs. Perhaps for Amani they do, but Gurubashi to me are more wily, secretive, dark-magic, etc...

The "mojo golem" is indeed Drakkari, but like I said, this is "only vaguely WoW-inspired". I'm sure the Gurubashi could do something similar if they wanted to (i.e. wouldn't be making an exact replica, just something 'inspired' by it).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I have often thought that this model could be edited into an amazing giant gorilla monster:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/brutal-lord-204070/?prev=mmr=6
Of course, you'd have to talk to Tarrasque n' all
Oh, Jigrael'd have no problem with me editing it... But aside from my utter lack of skillz, I wouldn't know where to take it. Gorillas + Jungle Trolls?...

More importantly, I don't think you realize how poorly that model would be as a little wandering animal, even a Unit... It's designed from the ground-up, from the very pixels, to be a Hero. It shows it, it simply bleeds it. You'd have to do a lot more than retexture & remove Hero Glows & Dissipate to make it a Unit. :p

But thanks for the suggestion.

Several Dire Trolls are prominent mobs in Zul'Gurub, none are in Zul'Aman. Just sayin' :p
Oh now you show up... Like you have any experience making Trolls. :p

That's a good point. I think I've definitely come to a decision that Dire Trolls (this model with this skin, most likely) will play a part in the campaign; likely one of the opposing Troll tribes would be training them. Be a nice, nasty foe to face at the end of some level. :p But I'm not sure I have a place for them in my "standard" (or 'player') Jungle Troll race.

Though they are cool. :p

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Maybe a Primal Aspect? As in the spawn of one of the Gurubashi Loa. Since everyone else is mentioning Reptilian references, I'd say http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/serpentgod-190016/?prev=search=God&d=list&r=20 by Sellenisko..
Thanks! Not a bad idea, though I think I'm more comfortable with that being a Hero (as I have it now). I actually totally have that "snake-god" thing going, though I'm leaning more towards using this guy, retextured green & with a few other changes.

I find it funny/interesting how people post one thing, but vote entirely different. : )

Level 10
I think since ur planning on gurubashi trolls, some reference should be taken from zulgurub..in wow..the original raid had 6 minibosses who would transform into their respective Loa aspects.....im making a playable Amani race soon, so I have a similar idea in mind..

Level 29
You shouldnt let a poll decide this, you have to assess what they lack at T3 to assign them the right complementory to their combat power unit. You cant say like, hey imma gonna drop a dragon on them just because its cool to me.
Since we have absolutely no other information(?) on the structure of your race, nobody else than you can really tell what this unit needs to be.
Keep in mind that each faction is a 'functions-pool' that has to meet the opportunity-equality presented across the default WCIII factions within the game's balance. Only that way your faction can be taken seriously as eligible candidate for consideration as a legitimate addon to the current game.
Again, i said those with the assumption in mind you arent aiming for a total conversion and just trying to add your own faction to the present roster.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You shouldnt let a poll decide this, you have to assess what they lack at T3 to assign them the right complementory to their combat power unit. You cant say like, hey imma gonna drop a dragon on them just because its cool to me.
You're absolutely right, and I'm glad someone thought to bring this up.

My rebuttal would be, however, that in this particular situation, I have fully taken Role into account in terms of my custom Jungle Troll race, and am in a position to have just about anything I need (extra ranged support? more siege? psuedo-caster? etc).

Moreover, even if that weren't the case, I feel confident that any one of the ideas presented in the Poll would be 'work-able' towards any given Role that I might need.

Eagle XI said:
Since we have absolutely no other information(?) on the structure of your race, nobody else than you can really tell what this unit needs to be.
Well actually, almost everything anyone would need to know (except for, perhaps, the most recent developments) can be found in the links to my "custom race creation" topic in my signature, which appears at the bottom of every post I've made. :p Granted, it's a lot of reading, but it's there.

Eagle XI said:
Keep in mind that each faction is a 'functions-pool' that has to meet the opportunity-equality presented across the default WCIII factions within the game's balance. Only that way your faction can be taken seriously as eligible candidate for consideration as a legitimate addon to the current game.
This is an absolutely essential point, and believe me one that I have taken the utmost care & diligence in analyzing & assigning. (I know it doesn't sound like it, but totally. Check out my sig or send me a PM for the "updated stuff" if you are so inclined :p).

Eagle XI said:
Again, i said those with the assumption in mind you arent aiming for a total conversion and just trying to add your own faction to the present roster.
Yes and no. See my PM.

~~~

With that in mind; what looks coolest/most sense-making to you? That's basically the whole reason I put this out. : )

Level 12
Considering that in all 4 races the T3OD does not need any micro (only passive skills), nothing too complicated. So, you can either design your unit accordingly, or undermine that idea completely. For each direction I'd choose one of the the following:

NO MICRO

1. quetzalcoatl: a massive melee ground unit (with floating movement animation). I'd give him a sort of "coil" ability (activated ability with longer then usual cooldown). The ability will stun an enemy unit for 4-6 seconds, all the while taking 15-20 damage per second.

2. Basilisk: if you've ever played HOMM3 you'd remember those ****ers, and want to unleash them on your enemies, with a triggered ability to petrify enemy units (I'd do it so that each 3-5 attacks slow the unit more and more, until it reaches a maximum level and if the unit has less then say 35% health it will die). No idea how to currently do that though (can test if needed)

MICRO

1. The predator: I'd make him a ward unit kinda like the witch doctor, but specified to guerilla warfare. The unit itself will be rather fragile, but with high attack damage, slow poison and a shadowmeld ability (active during the day as well if possible). I'd give him 2 ward abilities which: hidden ward, which will work as an AoE ensnare ability, and spike trap, which will be put on a tree (like sentinel) and will cast an ability like fan of knives. This way it will really be a guerilla unit, able to disrupt others and pick of individual units, striking fear into the enemy.

2. Tiki of Doom: I really love the idea of a big tiki statue as an equivalent of Kodi beast/destroyer. However, as a T3OD with no micro I believe that the peripheral effect of such unit should be pulled through the roof on the expense of being unable to attack. The tiki will have an aura which increases attack speed by 15%, with a farvor ability that doubles that effect while draining mana continuously. Adding to that a "living sacrifice" in which you sacrifice a unit to the tiki in order to create a volcano/add Phoenix fire to the tiki/create a massive lava wave in a set direction. Like throwing a virgin in a volcano so it won't erupt with the opposite result.:cool:2

Level 15
I would go with option number 7. Why? You already have 2 flying units, nearly all other options are hard lore rapes, and in my opinion, seeing your tech-tree, it fits your Jungle Trolls the most!

Status
Not open for further replies.