• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Melee] Unit ideas for a custom Expansion - 'Giant' units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
I've been thinking about starting a mod for Reforged.

I want to make my own version of an expansion. I'm a huge fan of giant fantasy creatures, and I'm looking for some ideas to fill in for each race. I'm a modeller so my focus will be making new units and animations.

The basic guideline is adding giant units to each race to balance out the Frost Wyrm on the UD, and the Mountain Giant for the Humans. The limit here is no Dragonflight Dragons, and no Giant units (like Sea Giant, Frost Giant) because they end up being fairly neutral. I would also probably want to avoid any type of Golem too, unless there's something specific that really works for any of the races.

I'm looking for
1 giant Air unit for Humans, Night Elves and Orcs
1 giant Ground unit for Humans, Orcs and Undead

My ideas so far:
Humans
- Airship - I'm thinking of making a Reforged version of a skyship like we see in WoW. Something about the size of a Frost Wyrm, something that would fit alongside a squadron of gyrocopters. I'm thinking of having this unit work similarly to the Battlecruiser in SC2, having multiple cannons that shoot multi targets.
- ??? - I haven't any ideas for what ground 'Giant' unit to implement. I'm keeping this open for ideas

Night Elves
- ??? Air - I haven't figured out what to add for Night Elves. They already have the Chimaera, but I'm thinking something that works against air as well. I'm thinking about an Owl Rider of some type, like what the Priestess of the Moon used to be. An alternative is the Fey Dragons from WoW. Thoughts?
- Ground - They already have Mountain Giants. Should they still get a large unit?

Orcs
- Thunderbird/Thunder Roc - A native american themed Thunderbird, the kind of creature the Taurens use for their Totems. I'm not sure what or how to design this, but I want it like an elaborate version of the Beastmaster hawk
- Dire Troll - I think it'd be cool to add a Dire Jungle Troll as a 'Giant' unit. Thoughts?

Undead
- Air - They already have Frost Wyrms. Should they still get an air unit to balance things out?
- Crypt Queen - A large 'Drider', based on the Spider Queen and Zagara's Crypt Queen skin in HOTS. Thoughts?

Level 34
Humans:
Flying unit: I think that the Skyship is a great idea, and doesn't break with the lore nor the visuals.

01.JPG

Ground unit: Well, dwarves has battle golems, but seems like reforged already took that design for the neutral units, i still think that they would fit pretty well with the alliance (maybe just a few changes so it doesn't look too rusty and abandoned); or maybe a gnome mech?

02.JPG 03.JPG

Orcs:
Flying unit: In wow they have a skyship too, maybe you could add it one for them too? tbh it looks really great.

01.jpg
Ground unit: Maybe a siege kodo beast? kinda like the iron horde uses the elekks as siege beasts with cannon towers and such, maybe a large kodo beast with siege weapons would work; a dire troll could work too, though the darkspear don't have any dire trolls among them, and they're smaller than a mountain giant or a golem.

06.JPG

Night Elves:
Flying unit: Well, a fey dragon would be cool, kinda like the new sylverian dragon from bfa.

sixmonthmount2.png
Ground unit: Maybe an owlbear/moonkin? they were part of the night elves in the roc campaign, and are pretty big.

04.JPG

Undead:
Flying unit: Well, apart from the wyrm, maybe the plaguespreader structure from wow?

08.JPG

Ground unit: Well, the undead have a wide variety of bone and flesh giants and golems, i think you have many options there.
07.JPG
Skeletal_Flayer.jpg Flesh_Titan.png Flesh_giant.gif 300px-Provoke.jpg

Level 28
Humans: Dwarven Battle Fortress
Colossal steam-driven vehicle that can run over lesser units and carry allied ground units in safety. Has independently-operated rocket launchers against land and air targets.

Night Elves: Roc
A giant bird who can fly high enough to hide the sun (causes Eclipse, becomes invulnerable and immobile) and abduct ground units in its talons and drop them for immense damage.

Level 14
Is not the Tauren already a giant ground unit thus making orcs not need an additional one?
Also I am quite sure the human griffin is already a giant air unit(in WC2 griffins were as big as dragons).
With those assumptions we find ourselves having to add only a single unit per race meaning that we do not have to unbalance unit counts.
For night elf you might add a more mobile tree as a giant unit?(Night elves kind of already have a giant ground and a giant air)
Then for human what you need is a giant ground unit and if you are ready to grab one of the steampunk things you have tons of choice.
For orc what is lacking is a giant flying unit according to your design symmetry so it could be either a dragon if you are spectacularly boring or some new thing (maybe a flying tauren for extra silliness like a tauren stormwalker that zaps ground stuff with lightning and bash air units with a totem to send them on the ground or something) or your lightning bird idea.
Undead already have a giant ground unit(abomination) and a giant air unit(frost wyrm)
For undead you might have fun making a half mechanical half flesh ground thing like the meat-wagons?
that or adding a giant flying unit for undead(flying buildings seems an interesting idea)
Maybe undead maximum tier bases can just take off and fight and land for allowing to spread plague where you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.