• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Jasscraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to open the war3map.j. But all that will give you is a long list of code, and if protected with the mapOptimizer, will turn out as unreadable code. (Well, it will be readable but you probably won't know what is used for which spell)

Anyway, deprotecting/any means of exporting data from maps isn't really supported here. =\

And you probably won't learn much from it, as far as I know most of DotA is GUI converted JASS.

Level 4
On top of the reasons stated before, DotA's code is both long and obfuscated. If you open that 6.67c map script up, you'll see a novel worth of code, with all manipulable names converted into seemingly random blocks of all sorts of letters of the alphabet. There will be no indenting or breaks.

If I wanted to look for certain spells in DotA's jass file, I could probably find them given time, but that's because I would already have a good idea of what I was looking for. If you're trying to figure out how some kind of effect is accomplished, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Like a Warcraft III mapping forum.

Level 7
Always funny, people telling that dota code sucks while at the same time saying the dota code is unavailable. Well coded or not, the lag older dota versions had is gone and that's all that matter imo.

More serious, you can still extract war3map.j from (very) old dota maps, but i'm pretty sure most of the crappy code you'll find in it is much more optimised now.

Status
Not open for further replies.